Tips/tricks to minimize bass traveling throughout a house? Isolation pads perhaps?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 21-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455
Tips/tricks to minimize bass traveling throughout a house? Isolation pads perhaps?

the girlfriend and I are about to move into a new place. I was determined not to leave our current apartment until we found a house to rent with no other tenants, mainly so we could enjoy (and write) our music with bass, any time of night. I think my audiophile obsessions are rubbing off on her .

Anyhow, we couldn't find that, still someone renting the basement, so I was wondering what the best methods are to keep bass from traveling throughout the house, down to the basement. Thought an isolation pad for the subwoofer might be a good start. But open to ideas. ..I'm guessing this can become an expensive endeavor. I'm even considering hanging our big shag carpet on one of the walls for absorbtion. If she'll let me...

Any feedback on those pads or other suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Tips/tricks to minimize bass traveling throughout a house? Isolation pads perhaps

Pour a couple inches of concrete onto your living room floor, then build a well-insulated room inside of it! Problem solved!
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455
Re: Tips/tricks to minimize bass traveling throughout a house? Isolation pads perhaps

yeah I realize now theres no such solution. We'll just have to get our neighbor drunk and hope she passes out rather than calling the cops. We got this
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
SubMix
Minor Glitch
SubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of light
Derby
MC Status: 510

Carpet on the walls will diffuse those highs, but basically won't touch the low end at all. Which in turn will make your stuff sound even more bass heavy in the room.

An isolation platform will help remove vibration to the floor/surface the sub/speakers sits on, which will reduce the transfer to other walls etc. and reduce additional bass/mids caused by the resonance of the vibrating surface, but it's not going to really touch the sound waves of bass moving around the room.

Successfully treating the room with bass traps in as many corners as you can (including ceiling-meets wall, and wall-meets-floor areas) will reduce standing waves which may amplify the bass which is audible outside the room (and drastically make it sound better inside the room), but as mentioned already, if you want to do anything bass heavy, and not annoy others, you need an isolated room, within a room... or just don't do it.

It's not ideal, but in the short term you could get two pairs of decent matching monitoring headphones and a nice headphone amp so you are both hearing the same mix identically. It's no match for the sound of a room, but if you're making music late at night and want to keep the neighbours happy, it's a solution.
SubMix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
Pour a couple inches of concrete onto your living room floor, then build a well-insulated room inside of it! Problem solved!
I hear sand is where it's at.
Yeah, a room inside a room. I want rooms inside all my rooms.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
SubMix
Minor Glitch
SubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of lightSubMix is a glorious beacon of light
Derby
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I hear sand is where it's at.
Yeah, a room inside a room. I want rooms inside all my rooms.
Have you seen 'The Cube'...
SubMix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SubMix
Evelon (26-11-2014)
Old 26-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

Bass traps absorb bass and are cheap to make.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Sound isolation and sound absorption are two different things.

------------------
Old 26-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
oops, deleted my comment on this, yeah, I figured traps were more for preventing bass buildup in the corners to maintain clarity across the lower end of the frequency spectrum, and wouldn't really do much about the large areas of walls and floor that were directly transferring the bass energy through them.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

Quote:
Yeah, but sound absorbing material like rock wool can be used for sound isolation. But since it's a rental chances are no one is going to stuff the wall and floor full of rock wool. Proceed with the booze plan.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
Yeah, but sound absorbing material like rock wool can be used for sound isolation. But since it's a rental chances are no one is going to stuff the wall and floor full of rock wool. Proceed with the booze plan.
Booze plan sounds like a plan.
Sometimes the best plan is to get/rent a dedicated rehearsal space/practice room or similar (usually with no neighbors or other that you can disturb, even with the loudest fucking drums/distorted guitars/bass amp/PA). Getting a dedicated space also makes one focus more on the actual reason that you are there, and time spent there will (usually) bear some fruit.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
penguinoid (26-11-2014)