Who loves to Mash up? And what are your methods?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 23-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
MichaelMartin
Regular Freak
MichaelMartin is currently spamming hard
Denver Colorado
MC Status: 10
Who loves to Mash up? And what are your methods?

I enjoy mashing up music before most of my shows... it's like cheating on a test almost. People love what you are playing, but have never heard it quite like how you are playing it.

Over the past few weeks I have had quite a few shows which have varied quite a bit so Mashup's have been second only to breathing in my life.

My current method:

1.) I get the key of the track (Mostly I cheat and use mixed in key (MIK) it gives me key and BPM)

2.) Then I drop the track that I want to mashup into LIVE Warp using the BPM Given by MIK as Ref I find the 1 beat set 1.1.1 there and make about 7 warp marks with the Metronome on

3.) Save the file

4.) Decide what this mashup is going to be for (pool party, dance club, grandma's 80th birthday) then find complementary genre and key'd song in my archives (warp those songs like in step 2)

5.) Then creativity happens... I start cutting pasting and adding just enough of my own flare to make it unique to my style. (I try to never spend more than an hour on each mashup)

I just felt it would be cool to talk about current methods and styles other people are using to Mashup tracks as this is one of the the best dirty pleasures of being a prod/dj its almost a guilty pleasure of mine

Advertisements

MichaelMartin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
MarcFreccero will become famous soon enoughMarcFreccero will become famous soon enough
Boston, MA
MC Status: 110
Re: Who loves to Mash up? And what are your methods?

Nice! My method honestly is to record myself live - I've found that when I'm DJing live I come up with the best improvised mash-ups - and then later I can go back and recreate the idea to make it more polished if I want to release it
MarcFreccero is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
flintkids
Learning The Ropes
flintkids will become famous soon enough
Bromley
MC Status: 60

Max for live is a great tool for creating custom 'mash up' patches. You can sync to lives transport, fill different buffers with loops and randomly flick between them with a push of a button on your chosen controller. Max Rules or just use Lives follow actions for more suprises
flintkids is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #4
quantumcode
Minor Glitch
quantumcode has a spectacular aura aboutquantumcode has a spectacular aura about
Calgary
MC Status: 160

I get 8 bar riffs then warp them in able ton then use mixed in key to group them

------------------
quantumcode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
BMBVYG
Minor Glitch
BMBVYG will become famous soon enough
Seattle Wa
MC Status: 60

Sometimes when doing mashups I like to use Mixcraft and drop in a few files that I know are similar bpms and i allow it to beatmatch everything for me and then i just pick a beat or make one as a baseline and i just jump in and out of each track..
BMBVYG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
orst
Minor Glitch
orst has a spectacular aura aboutorst has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

usually i listen to something that reminds me of something else,
or some melody from another existing song comes to mind when i hear it.

From then on the integrated tools in logic do the job easily

Advertisements

orst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote