Is it worth learning the piano? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 14-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #41
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts
Re: Is it worth learning the piano?

It's like anything else worth doing. I mean, sure it's going to be awkward and tedious at first but the more you practice and train with it the easier it will become. Next thing you know, as you mentioned muscle memory, it will become second nature. In my opinion, It's totally worth learning. So best of luck to you on your endeavor and I hope that you stick with it.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #42
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Learning piano has a lot of advantages, but it depends upon the style of teaching. Learning just the typical basics could help you out a lot, but it wouldn't necessarily go much farther than that unless the style of teaching and the amount of time put in practicing and learning is of good quality.

I say go for it if you can afford the lessons.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
jVs (14-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #43
dayzero
Regular Freak
dayzero has a spectacular aura aboutdayzero has a spectacular aura aboutdayzero has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Learning piano helped me develop much better songwriting chops. Specifically harmony and counterpoint which forced me to approach music differently and get ideas (I struggled with before) down quicker. I'd say invest the time and start learning. Good luck!
dayzero is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #44
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360

Ok, I'm going to add my 2 cents as well...

If you're going to learn the piano, you should do it for the sake of playing the piano and not as an training exercise for becoming more apt with a piano-style input device for producing electronic music. Just using your favorite controller and working with it will be much more effective.

When I say "for the sake of playing the piano", I mean actually playing music that was written for the piano, or writ you own music for that instruments. I firmly believe that music should be written written with the expressiveness of a specific instrument in mind and a Piano is not a Synthesizer and a Synthesizer is not a Piano. Both are great (all instruments are great) but one is not a substitute for the other and just using a Piano as a way to exercise using those black and white keys is, as you suspected, a waste of your time. Learning the instrument, learning to use it as a means of musical expression of yourself, learning about all that great music that was written for this instrument over centuries, that's a good use of your time for sure and it will surely contribute to your musicality in ways that go far beyond muscle memory.

Enjoy!

------------------
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #45
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792

I'm sure this has been said already...but it's worth reiterating. The layout of the piano is a hell of a lot more logical than that of the guitar or bass. Definitely worth learning if you're looking to delve more deeply into western harmony.
agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 AM   #46
thepilot
Granular Poster
thepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of light
Durham, North Carolina
MC Status: 517

Whoever said developing style....totally agree. No substitute and no easy way around it either. Everything you've learned and your influences converge to form this brand new.....thing
thepilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #47
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

short answer: yes

------------------

Old 16-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #48
ReKre
Radial Developer
ReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura about
San Francisco
MC Status: 210

The piano is an art, and honestly knowing how to play has drastically helped me jump into the game with producing music. Knowing different chord progressions and resolutions on your keyboard can help spark so many ideas. Usually when I start a new song I just play around with chord progressions until I find something I like.

-------------------------
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/kre415]
Most Recent Song: soundcloud.com/kre415/awol-finalunmastered
ReKre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #49
DJFREAK303
Learning The Ropes
DJFREAK303 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKre View Post
The piano is an art, and honestly knowing how to play has drastically helped me jump into the game with producing music. Knowing different chord progressions and resolutions on your keyboard can help spark so many ideas. Usually when I start a new song I just play around with chord progressions until I find something I like.
Can't agree more ! And it helps to understand a lot of things... I am producing house and learning some basic piano skills some years ago was the fastest way to improve. Now everything is gettin' easier. Couldn't take a better decision imo.
DJFREAK303 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #50
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

Not unless you want to do some genuinely new hook involving actual music... If you just want to stand out sonically or you are just into pure abstract sound... maybe not so necessary. If you want to make stuff that sells, it's probably a liability as the hours you'll spend trying to learn piano could be more profitably spent configuring your soundcloud and facebook robots, and sucking up to the gatekeepers...
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
thejb123
Learning The Ropes
thejb123 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

As someone who has played classical piano (and a small amount of jazz) for 15 years, it's an invaluable skill to have. The keyboard is perhaps the easiest way to visualise and familiarise yourself with music theory.

However, learning the piano should not just be to find chord progressions for your "sick new track". It should be for the beauty of the instrument. It's not by chance that it has been used and learnt by composers for the last 200-250 years. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're going to learn the piano do it properly, learn your scales and arpeggios, start with the basics and the most simple pieces and work your way up.
thejb123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thejb123
Nystagmus (07-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #52
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I believe that learning how to play and understand the piano will help deepen anyones understanding of other instruments and the way they work together. It really depends if you find it valuable to learn piano or not. It certainly wasn't the first instrument I started playing, but it has ended up being one of my favorite and most cherished skills.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #53
thepilot
Granular Poster
thepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of light
Durham, North Carolina

It seems an odd question. I mean any knowledge acquired in one's chosen field will be of some use. It definitely wouldn't have an adverse effect. Like the linguist asking "do i really need to know mandarin AND cantonese"...i guess it depends on where you want go along with your level of dedication to your field of study.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #54
PianoMProd
Learning The Ropes
PianoMProd will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I think it's worth learning it. Definitely can put you in a better perspective of the music, especially when you know the chords, and how to invert them. So I would say yes, is definitely worth it.
PianoMProd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #55
thepilot
Granular Poster
Durham, North Carolina

Anyone who considers him or herself a serious musician and says it is not worth learning any instrument may need to realign his/her priorities.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Thanks to thepilot
Muse-ic (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #56
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Every time I see this thread come up again I get really annoyed. IT IS worth it. The only thing you need to decide is if you have the time, energy and interest to invest in learning the piano.

I am so glad my mom wouldn't let me quit when I was a kid. I trained through college and I will never regret it, it is part of my identity and I will cherish it.

It's late at night and I walk by the piano and I just play-
I hear a tune and I run to the piano to figure it out-

It's so much more than just a thing on a to do list.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #57
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

No, it's not worth it. The piano is a dangerous instrument that will literally worm its way into your brain and push every other instrument you know how to play right out of your head. Just say no
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #58
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

The best course on which to learn to play the piano :::: udemy - Pianoforall - Incredible New Way To Learn Piano & Keyboard
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to st3aLth
vashima (02-10-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #59
stray medicine
Binch
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19860

The keyboard is just a different layout for notes. I think all layouts are at least worth looking into and it's nice having multiple options for arrangements of notes. This is why I sometimes use my Livid Block as a keyboard instead of a looping controller, I play it differently than a keyboard and I play notes I probably wouldn't have thought of just by playing it on a keyboard.

It's all down to preference, but I honestly like having the most options possible so that I can have the most varying results possible.

Edit: and that's also partly why I want to get a midi guitar controller and an axis 64, even though keys are the thing I'm most familiar with and piano was the only instrument I have any formal training for.

Last edited by stray medicine; 04-09-2015 at 09:06 PM..
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #60
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

if you do learn to play the piano, it will make reading music theory books and articles easier and that way your composing skills will benefit. all the stuff about intervals will make sense.

Advertisements

------------------