Is it worth learning the piano? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #21
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,982 Posts
Re: Is it worth learning the piano?

Uh. You're wrong.

Anyone who says one instrument is harder than the other (or easier) is a fucking moron.

Advertisements

------------------
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banewaker View Post
Uh. You're wrong.

Anyone who says one instrument is harder than the other (or easier) is a fucking moron.
and you're twisting my words. i'm not talking about mastering an instrument, i'm talking about starting with an instrument. so, IMHO, based on what i know about piano and guitar, it seems to me it would be easier to start out on piano. piano has a more obvious layout and it should be easier to learn where the notes are (because it's immediately obvious where B/C and E/F keys are in every octave and then you can quickly make your way to all other notes in between). there's only one way to play something. on the guitar you have to synchronize your both hands to produce clear fretted tones, which is not the case on the piano. so because of these things, it seems to me it would be easier to GET STARTED playing the piano. truly mastering something is of course another matter entirely and would probably be equally hard no matter which skill or subject you chose (simply because there's no finish line).
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #23
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

I think music; learning music depends on the individual. We can all say it is this way or that way but in the end it depends.

An instrument may be more intuitive for one person and easier for another. And it is my opinion, but I found FOR ME I can pick up any instrument at this point and learn it more easily because I can read music, I play the piano, I know theory, and it's only a matter of mastering the different positions to play scales and chords.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 07-03-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Jaded (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
you take that 357 chord and there could be 3 different places on a guitar neck where you can play the EXACT same chord. whereas on the piano, there's only one way to play that 357 chord in the same octave.
never mind...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
never mind...
what's so confusing about that? am i talking crazy? or do you have 2 separate physical D# keys on your magical unicorn keyboard or something?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #26
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176060
Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,099 Posts

I have 7.

*ducks*
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
rewir3d (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #27
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 199860
Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,972 Posts

Ah..but is the spoon even real to begin with?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Jaded (10-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #28
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3064619

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I have 7.

*ducks*
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #29
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
what's so confusing about that? am i talking crazy? or do you have 2 separate physical D# keys on your magical unicorn keyboard or something?
No, you just don't understand what you're saying about how chords are formed, hence why I said never mind.

For example, there's only one way to form an open G chord on a guitar. There's literally no other way to form that exact combination of notes on a guitar using one hand. However, like keys on a piano, there are many different combinations of strings you can use to form a G chord. So like I said, never mind.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #30
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/

Quote:
and you're twisting my words. i'm not talking about mastering an instrument, i'm talking about starting with an instrument. so, IMHO, based on what i know about piano and guitar, it seems to me it would be easier to start out on piano. piano has a more obvious layout and it should be easier to learn where the notes are (because it's immediately obvious where B/C and E/F keys are in every octave and then you can quickly make your way to all other notes in between). there's only one way to play something. on the guitar you have to synchronize your both hands to produce clear fretted tones, which is not the case on the piano. so because of these things, it seems to me it would be easier to GET STARTED playing the piano. truly mastering something is of course another matter entirely and would probably be equally hard no matter which skill or subject you chose (simply because there's no finish line).
I honestly don't remember posting that and drunk me probably just wanted to get a rise out of you because I am an asshole

------------------
Old 10-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #31
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banewaker View Post
I honestly don't remember posting that and drunk me probably just wanted to get a rise out of you because I am an asshole
See, I thought you were just trying to get a rise out of me because I'm an asshole
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #32
fid
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

You get a rise out of me all the time, hell I'm side piping a half mast right now like a mothafucka just off the fact that you quoted my post

------------------
Thanks to fid
Jaded (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #33
Reon
Granular Poster
Reon will become famous soon enoughReon will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I'm 28 years old and learning the piano just so I can produce music. I reckon its worthwhile. Something to get better at over the years. I'd like to be one of those old folks playing the piano and smoking cigars in an old folks home.
It's a timeless instrument, just like guitar.
Reon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reon View Post
I'd like to be one of those old folks playing the piano and smoking cigars in an old folks home.

Not to crush your dreams, but they don't let you do that anymore (at least not in the States).
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #35
iDoG
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
No, you just don't understand what you're saying about how chords are formed, hence why I said never mind.

For example, there's only one way to form an open G chord on a guitar. There's literally no other way to form that exact combination of notes on a guitar using one hand. However, like keys on a piano, there are many different combinations of strings you can use to form a G chord. So like I said, never mind.
ok, here's an example of what i am talking about. let's take B major triad. here are all the places where you can play it on a guitar neck that would sound exactly the same:

string: fret

1: 2
2: 4
3: 4

2: 7
3: 8
4: 9

3: 11
4: 13
5: 14

4: 16
5: 18
6: 19

there are other ways to play that triad, but that would involve using pitches other than those specific three. which is not what i'm talking about. in the 4 examples that i showed, there are no substitutions, omissions, different voicings, jumping around octaves or anything like that. here's a chord made up of the exact same pitches that can be played in 4 different places on a guitar neck that will sound pretty much exactly the same.

how many different ways can you play THAT on the piano?

basically, it all boils down to this. if you take a person who knows absolutely nothing about music theory and can't play any instruments, i would bet good money i could teach this person to play 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' much faster on the piano than on guitar. i would also bet good money i could teach that same person to identify where all the Cs are on the piano much faster than on a guitar neck. so based on that, it seems like piano is an easier instrument TO GET STARTED ON than guitar. and guitar would be an easier instrument to get started on than violin (think lack of frets or any visual identification on where the pitches are, need for a specific way to hold the violin, need for a specific way to hold the bow, etc).
Thanks to iDoG
Muse-ic (11-03-2015)
Old 13-03-2015, 06:32 PM   #36
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Rumba View Post
Alright, hear me out please - it's my time at stake here!

So last year I retired from being a bassist in a band and started my own solo project. Got myself some speakers, audio interface a DAW and all that.

Then I got myself a Launchpad and an Impulse 49 keyboard. The main reasons I got the keyboard is because of the pitchbend wheel, faders, assignable knobs and the tactility of playing the instrument (velocity sensitivity and aftertouch). The thing is that I come from a fretted instrument and whenever I had to change key I would just shift my box/pattern up or down the neck. Whenever I need to change key on a keyboard I have to learn a whole new shape because of the goddamn black keys being the way that they are. That is just way to much muscle memory to build for my liking.

Then I downloaded Launchpad95 scripts and you can have your notes laid out on the controller just like the strings on the bass (you can have button rows tuned in 5ths) and it works perfectly for me as I can easily recognise and play chord patterns and the shapes don't change when you shift the key! It's not velocity sensitive though...

So I got the expressiveness with the keys and familiarity/logical layout with Launchpad and I decided to invest some time into learning keys. Then Novation bring out the news that the next Launchpad is going to have velocity sensitive pads.

So I just abandoned my keys and I'm waiting to get the new Launchpad because I honestly do not see the point of keys as an interface.

Does anyone else feel that the keyboard layout is an outdated thing? I feel that learning all the scales in all of the keys is a waste of time on a piano, considering you only need to learn one pattern on a grid/fret layout as opposed to twelve with keys.
Go with what you think works man. Develop your style and build your sound. If you feel limited. If you hear stuff in your head that you cannot reproduce then try and find out about it.

Being able to perform on your instrument is important. It can be slides and knobs also. It takes practice nailing automation of EQ on the sliders and knobs. If you like using your fingers like that then just experiment away with it. You have all basic controls you need to make whatever. If you wanna switch scales you can just replace the pads bindings for a new section or element.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #37
thealfa
Learning The Ropes
thealfa will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

learn it for fun not because you have to. I can play but I'm not sure I'm great at it because I was never a "key player" but more of a string player (i.e. guitar).
thealfa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:35 AM   #38
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

You don't have to do anything. But I never understood why you wouldn't want to. If you love music and you love creating it why wouldn't you love playing it?
The first learning curve is the hardest because you go from being able to do nothing to do something and it is frustrating. The only thing you can do is study, you can't fool around, you can't play what is on your mind, just boring simple stuff. But it is a rite of passage. At first your fingers seem too big or too small and you can't hit the notes you want to, you get cramps, but if you keep going it will get better, step by step, very slowly. It is excruciatingly slow in the beginning but if you keep faith and keep doing it every day you will become better. And then, after a year or so, you can start to be able to play a song or maybe a few songs, fool a bit around, hit the notes you want to hit. And slowly, year by year, you get better and better. And you will have moments where you feel you can't do anything and moments where you are amazed at the way you are able to play music. And eventually after playing for a very long time you find yourself just playing what you feel like for hours, or be able to listen to the radio and jam along with any song that comes on, or play some pretty complex classical songs. You have a lot of time in your life to learn an instrument. Even if you are 40 you can still start learning, by the time you are 60 you will have been playing for 20 years. For sure, you are never going to be able to play like Glenn Gould or Stevie Wonder, don't even entertain the thought, there is more to playing an instrument than hitting superstar ultra level 9000+
What more do you want than being able to play music whenever you want to? Like to wake up on a nice summer morning and think "lets have some piano before breakfast"?
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
Mellow (27-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #39
Synapx
Minor Glitch
Synapx will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I took lessons when i was young for about six years, and i believe it does help me with production, but I believe other instruments would of been just as effective.
Synapx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #40
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478408
Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,049 Posts

Bass guitar made my production much better, but so did playing in a band...
I'm now studying piano, but compared to bass guitar progress seems much slower.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
lolirl (02-04-2015)