Hat Loop Syncopation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 21-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Revatic
Granular Poster
Revatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MC
South Carolina
MC Status: 124214
Hat Loop Syncopation

Lately I've been running into a wall with my hat loop creation. Any of my Dubstep tunes just seem to be lacking that groove that the top layer percussion adds. Does anyone have any tips or tricks in regards to generating those really groovy syncopated hat loops that you hear so ofter in Dubstep, Drumstep, and DnB tracks? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks. :bye:

Advertisements

------------------
Revatic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538
Re: Hat Loop Syncopation

Don't go overboard with the rhythms of the high hats. Keep it relatively simple. Pick 2 to 3 Hi-hat or shaker samples and mess with those. Load them up in a sampler and play with them on your controller. Loop a section of your song and just keep playing different rhythms. You are bound to get something that interests you. Add some EQ, reverb, optional compression, and you're good to go.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

Have 2-3 hat samples, and like YoMyEx says, it often helps to have some sort of shaker/brush sound to help carry the rhythm as well.

Vary the velocities - this is very important, unless you're going for a machine-like sound. You can effectively accentuate whatever syncopation pattern you want by having a sort of velocity ramp, so that a run of hats starts with a low vel., and builds to a high vel. on the syncopated beat.

On similar lines, you can get shuffle rhythms not only by the placing of the hats, but by using ghost notes (barely audible hits, usually immediately after another, more audible, hit).

Again, unless you're going for a deliberately mechanistic sound, turn off grid snapping, or even the grid entirely. Just use your ears for hats (for most/all drum sounds, in fact. Dance music tends to have rigid kicks, just because they tell people how to dance).

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Revatic
Granular Poster
Revatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MCRevatic is a savage MC
South Carolina
MC Status: 124214

Thanks for all of the responses. Going to try some of the suggestions when I get home this evening.

Thanks again :]

------------------
Revatic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Gloom Prophet
Minor Glitch
Gloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MC
OREGON
MC Status: 66952

play them on a drum pad use velocity maybe even some auto-filter automation. try using multiple samples slightly different from each other
Gloom Prophet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Fuck with them triplets boi.

Seriously.

A few well placed hats in triplet divisions between a more regular hat pattern in 2 can really swing percussion parts.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Supercussion
Granular Poster
Supercussion has a spectacular aura aboutSupercussion has a spectacular aura aboutSupercussion has a spectacular aura about
Waipahu, Hawaii
MC Status: 210

Use multiple samples. Keep one or two hat's consistent, i.e. one on all up beats, while a very low velocity light sounding shaker doing sixteenths(Make sure you side chain them). And quantize the 16th shakers to a light shuffle. This lays down the groove. To add flavor, get more hat samples to get more syncopated. some open hats with adjusted envelopes to the tempo.

i know the 16th shakers might sound too much for dubstep, but you could still try it. even with other genres

one thing i love to do to open up my hat's and percussion by a HUGE amount is to slap on a stereo delay. light feedback, and not too much in the mix. maybe set it to a dotted eighth note on one side and a quarter note on the other. this will add the 16th note's without you writing it in.

again, use the simple loops to lay down a groove(however dont make it too robotic) then use other samples to add syncopation.
Supercussion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848

I just lowpassed my HH track in an atmospheric sounding dubstep track. The slightly missing highs made them sound distant and super chill.

Just saying is all...
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69660
Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,032 Posts

get like 5-6 ticks, clicks, shake, and just really abrupt samples, take those and just put them all in different patterns, then give it some swing with the swing button(FL) or groove from the groove pool(ableton), makes some pretty banging percussion, and it takes only a few mins.

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Bassmyth
Minor Glitch
Bassmyth is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Really good info here.. I pretty much do the same 2-3 hat/shakers...and then I use the groove...
Bassmyth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Variation and swing are KEY to making groovy hi-hat lines, and was said before, multiple samples, filtering, panning, triplets, etc. are all great ways to keep the hats lively. The key is to find what you like the sound of, and how to implement it.

Advertisements

Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Oedipus by Regina Spektor