Is it worth learning the piano? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #61
Name:__________
Minor Glitch
Name:__________ has a spectacular aura aboutName:__________ has a spectacular aura aboutName:__________ has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Re: Is it worth learning the piano?

well you probably are using a synthesizer, so you pretty much have to unless you just click and drag samples

Advertisements

Name:__________ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #62
Daniel Feldman
Minor Glitch
Daniel Feldman is a glorious beacon of lightDaniel Feldman is a glorious beacon of lightDaniel Feldman is a glorious beacon of lightDaniel Feldman is a glorious beacon of lightDaniel Feldman is a glorious beacon of light
Borderline, Isolation
MC Status: 460

EM-electronic music ->playing the instrument(s)makes sense in music.
Daniel Feldman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daniel Feldman
vashima (02-10-2015)
Old 13-11-2015, 04:00 AM   #63
Firepac
Regular Freak
Firepac will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

It would definitely help but I don't think it's necessary. Hell I know people who produce music without any understanding of Music Theory or play any instruments.
Firepac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #64
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch
DotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Just my two bits, as a vocal major in college, they require us to have at least a passing proficiency in piano and we don't even play piano, we sing. (well, I learned and played piano before these classes, but that's unrelated.) That gives you an idea of how important piano can be. HOWEVER, a MIDI guitar is definitely an [expensive] option - it even allows for things that you couldn't do with a MIDI keyboard.
DotDotDotEllipsis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #65
dada_davros
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 12860

Yes

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
vashima (24-11-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #66
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Do you want to?
Yes > Learn the piano
No > Don't

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
vashima (14-12-2015)
Old 14-12-2015, 05:10 AM   #67
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepac View Post
It would definitely help but I don't think it's necessary. Hell I know people who produce music without any understanding of Music Theory or play any instruments.
I definitely believe you, but it seems so odd to me to not want to understand music or be able to play an instrument to make music.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #68
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Learning how to play the piano has really improved my overall comprehension of music-making in terms of composition.
I stopped lessons a long time ago, but the essence of what I learned stayed with me. It helps when doing composing or editing on the piano roll in the DAW. It also helps when overdubbing improv bits.

I also used to mess around with guitar a bit, but just teaching myself. I can't really play it that well.
But messing around with it gave me ideas of what it's strengths are.

So yeah, I'd say it's worth it to learn some kind of instrument that can play chords.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
vashima (18-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #69
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310

I wouldnt say its worth "learning piano" but it is never a bad thing to learn as much as you can. Its one thing to be a drummer, but its another thing to understand how they work to apply them to a mix.
So Its not that important that you "master" piano or keyboards, but rather learn some basic music theory and start from there.
Theory is universal, what can be applied to a piano can be applied to a guitar, flute etc.

Start somewhere, but dont let anyone tell you you're hooped if you dont play keys.

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #70
Yikole
Minor Glitch
Yikole has a spectacular aura aboutYikole has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Yeah. Theory is what's most important to composing/producing, and if learning the piano helps you to better understand theory (like it did for me), go for it.
Yikole is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #71
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Everything that helps to express yourself in a creative way is worth, and it's strictly subjective to your musical endeavors. Maybe you don't need to become a piano master, but having a good grasp of the basics is important. I'm a total self taught and sometimes I struggle when I have something in my mind and I can't translate it in notes and chords.
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #72
Thetagram
Minor Glitch
Thetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

No other instrument to me offers as much catharsis as piano. It just seems so much more tactile than a guitar, despite me playing both.

It's also a much easier writing tool as the music theory side of composition is easier to visualise on a piano.

Advertisements

Thetagram is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote