Mixing Kick and Bass - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #21
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Mixing Kick and Bass

Very cool! Maybe I'll make them into some sort of artwork. Dual function!

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
YvesB
Minor Glitch
YvesB has a spectacular aura aboutYvesB has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I alwaaays get confused, some ppl say that the kick space is between 20 - 50 hz so you should leave space for that, but other ppl say that is for the bass. It is quite confusin, in my mixes i try to leave those freqcuencys clean for the kick but im not an expert
YvesB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Skippit
Granular Poster
Skippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud of
Portsmouth
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesB View Post
I alwaaays get confused, some ppl say that the kick space is between 20 - 50 hz so you should leave space for that, but other ppl say that is for the bass. It is quite confusin, in my mixes i try to leave those freqcuencys clean for the kick but im not an expert
The Kick and the Bass pretty much occupy the same frequencies, but it all comes down to what kick you are using, and how you want your bass to sound. If both of your kick and bass have really strong sub frequencies (30-70hz), then maybe choose a different kick drum. It's okay to use a kick drum that has these frequencies, as long as they are not dominating the sub region. Having extreme cutoff's for your kick and bass can work, but its better to have both instruments sitting in the same area harmoniously. This can be achieved by tuning your kick drum to the same scale as you bass and some sidechain compression and buss compression as i stated earlier.
Skippit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #24
YvesB
Minor Glitch
YvesB has a spectacular aura aboutYvesB has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the help bro!

------------------
YvesB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
DØDEN
Regular Freak
DØDEN has a spectacular aura aboutDØDEN has a spectacular aura about
Orange County

Thank you! Very useful.
DØDEN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
abookcase
Minor Glitch
abookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura about
Guernsey
MC Status: 210

Nice thats useful to visualize it
abookcase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
MrMort
Regular Freak
MrMort has a spectacular aura aboutMrMort has a spectacular aura about

this is awesome. Something i do with other tracks as well is subtractive EQing. Find the peaks in a track and lower those frequcies in other tracks to make them stand out even more.
MrMort is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippit View Post
EQ
Next, you may want to EQ out some frequencies for each sound.
You could...
High Cut the Bass at 30hz
High Cut the Kick at 70hz
Low Cut the Bass at around 600hz
The rest is down to warmth, if you have a warm sounding bass, then take out the frequencies between 100-300 of the kick drum, or vice versa.

Side-chain
Next you can side-chain your Kick Drum to the Bass, so that the attack transient of the Kick Drum forces the Bass to dip down in volume slightly. This way, the punch of the Kick, won't be conflicting with the depth of the Bass. To put side-chain compression simply...
Send the kick to an aux channel.
Mute that aux channel.
Put a compressor onto the bass.
Enable the compressors side-chain, and set it to the aux channel the kick is being sent too.
Now as you increase the threshold of the compressor, the bass will dip down when the kick is being played.
By increasing the ratio, knee and threshold, it will dip harder, and by changing the envelope settings (Attack/Release) it will react faster or slower.

I don't think I saw this in the post, but another rule of thumb to keep in mind is to have either a long kick/short bass or a short kick/long bass. Usually not a good idea to have both kick and bass to be long.

Another helpful EQ/Sidechain trick is to use Selective Bandwidth Ducking. It's basically a mix of EQ and side chaining. This is especially useful if you decide you want to have both a long kick and a long bass (or the kick and bass often hit at the same time). For example, say you have a heavy/long kick with significant sub freq. material (~60 Hz) and you want to make room for a sine wave baseline that primarily sits in the 45-70 Hz range. The idea is to duck just the 45-70 Hz range of the kick every time the bass hits making room for the bass and keeping the majority of the sonic spectrum of the kick in the mix.

One way to do this (the way I do it in Logic 9) is to assign the output (not a send) of the kick to a bus (say bus 1) with bus 1 outputting to your main outs. Then, make a duplicate bus with the same input and outputs as bus 1 (when you play the kick there should be signal sending to both of these buses). Now create a SEND on the sub bass track and send it to say bus 2 with bus 2 having no output (this will be our Sidechain bus). Now on the duplicate bus 1 assign three plugins in this order (linear phase eq, gain, noise gate). Set the linear phase eq with just hi/lo cuts with 48 db slopes and adjust the cuts to isolate the 45-70 Hz region. Set the gain plug so that it is left and right phase inverted. Set noise gate at -100 db threshold, -100 db reduction, 0ms attack, decay and release, 0ms lookahead, 0 db hysteresis, and set the side chain input (top right corner) as bus 2 (the bass bus).

Essentially, what's happening is whenever the bass hits this opens up the noise gate to allow the duplicate kick signal to pass through (only the 45-70 Hz signal passes through because of the linear phase eq). However, this duplicate signal is also phase flipped via the gain plug. When mixed with the original kick signal from the other bus 1, this causes 100% phase cancellation of only the isolated region (45-70 Hz) via the linear phase eq. The amount of cancellation can also be attenuated by altering the duplicate bus 1's fader (decreasing duplicate bus 1's volume decreases the amount of ducking that is being done).

I want to give credit to fader8 over at logicpro.com as this was originally his idea and who I learned the trick from.
Belivu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #29
mtinezz
Minor Glitch
mtinezz will become famous soon enough
NYC
MC Status: 60

Great post. Something like this but for every general instrumentation in a song would be super helpful, although I'm sure someone's done that already, perhaps even on here.
mtinezz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #30
http
Regular Freak
http will become famous soon enough
Patras

Very useful article article. Thank you for sharing!
http is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #31
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
How often do you see the drummer in any band tuning his bass drum to better compliment the bass player? Usually its tuned to the desired sound - not to a specific frequency.
Now if you are a timpani player in an orchestra......
All the time. I've never seen a drummer tune the kick to a specific frequency like 110hz. That's silly. But the pitch of a tuned drum is definitely going to have a harmonic relationship to the rest of the composition.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #32
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Acoustic drums an electronic have completely different sounds. Acoustic have this weird throbby undefined sound, I doubt tuning them would make much of a difference anyway.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #33
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Drum tone is incredibly important n an acoustic setting( electronic for that matter)..from material choice of the kit..to the skin...to the hardware.. to the stick..to mic.. it all goes into this one organic ralationship with the rest of the kit..the big tw Kick and Snare need to have a cohesive sound together..and a little tuning goes a long way..expecially if you do not have a drum closet full of kits and spares. It the same for electronic..both worlds coexist as tone .. a kit has t work together n matter what it is. What do you think EQing is?...your tuning it....

Having reference charts is a great starting point..until you trust your ears.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #34
lrek
Learning The Ropes
lrek is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

very nice! thank you
lrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #35
Marcus Quarter
Minor Glitch
Marcus Quarter will become famous soon enough
Vienna

cool thanks
Marcus Quarter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #36
Skippit
Granular Poster
Skippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud of
Portsmouth
MC Status: 1260

I'm very happy to have helped out alot of you!
now maybe you can help me too
Seems i've made it to the finals of Rood FM DJ 2014!
I'd really appreciate if you could vote for me here!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Not much else to say really! Thankyou all! :mayonesa:

Skippit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #37
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
The Kick and the Bass share the same frequencies, so there are a few things you can do to help them share the same space, without causing too much conflict and phase issues.
They don't really. As a general rule, the main energy in a kick is around the 110 Hz and in the bass it's around 250Hz. So a kick and a bass can sit together relatively easy by identifying the specific frequencies in each signal and reducing them in the other. As for the sub, it depends on what you want to occupy that space. Yes, you can open up the sub on a kick, but once you start going below 80Hz, it's not really going to have an impact on the kick. If anything, it could make reduce its impact.

So if you really wanted your kick and your bass both occupying the sub-spectrum, then you're probably better off with a HPF on the kick and then run a sub-oscillator tuned to the pitch of the kick and modulated to its amplitude. Much tighter.

Quote:
Side-chain
Next you can side-chain your Kick Drum to the Bass, so that the attack transient of the Kick Drum forces the Bass to dip down in volume slightly. This way, the punch of the Kick, won't be conflicting with the depth of the Bass. To put side-chain compression simply...
Great advice. Ducking is a really valuable technique and can be just as effective as EQ for sculpting a mix. This doesn't just apply to kicks. You can use this technique to deal with any overlapping signals. For example, lead/pad and a vocal. Duck the pads to the vocal with really fast attack/release, high threshold, medium ratio. That way, every time the vocal sings your pads will be very slightly attenuated, giving the vocal some room to breathe without reducing the impact of either.

Quote:
Bus Compression
Now your Kick and Bass are working along side each other, you can "glue" the two instruments together using Bus Compression. Simply set the output of both instruments to a bus, then compress the signal using some medium settings, then adjust to taste.
Medium settings would only reduce the signal by 2-4db, and have a gain make-up of 2-4db as well.
I would never advise bussing the kick and the bass together like this. If you have good gain staging in each signal, bussing them together and squashing them is just going to undo that work and/or create more problems. A kick and a bass sound tight when they are properly separated. If you're going to buss your kick with anything, it should be with the rest of the drum track. If we were following your example we'd have three or four layers of compression with signals acting upon each other at various stages. The result would be some very uneven gain reduction and a signal with very little dynamics.

Remember, ratios/thresholds/attacks and releases have an additive effect across the signal chain. If you have a 4:1, a 2:1 and another 4:1 compressor, the gross effect is not going to be 32:1. But there will be times where this level of gain reduction will be present. Unless you are dealing with very high thresholds, I would never advise having ratios in a chain set so high. Ultimately, you want the compressor to be applying gain reductions at every time a signal is present. The average amount of gain reduction isn't as important as the difference between the minimum and maximum (aka dynamic range). Anyway, better left for another thread ;-)
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #38
Optimal Prime
Deep Underground
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
EQ
Next, you may want to EQ out some frequencies for each sound.
You could...
High Cut the Bass at 30hz
High Cut the Kick at 70hz
Low Cut the Bass at around 600hz
The rest is down to warmth, if you have a warm sounding bass, then take out the frequencies between 100-300 of the kick drum, or vice versa.
You might want to change cut to pass.

------------------
Our newest UK DnB Mix Show hosted by Hush & Multi

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #39
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Wow, kinda puts a new perspective. I Usually slighly sidechain the bass to the kick (like it's not even noticeable, it's really just a preventive measure, incase the bass wants to go nuts...) Then I highpass everything that hits the lower frequencies (around 55hz, depends, but always around there)... aaaand then I overcomplicate my life by making a kick that cuts off the highs and tie it to the sub... so when I finally master the track I've got 2 WAV files, the main track and the kick sub and bass sub track.

I think I'm just overcomplicating myself for something that apparently can be done quite easily xD

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I think multiband comp can really help in getting kick and bass sit well together. That way you can comp the bass with lows of kick a bit while maintaining the mids of the kick. Couple that with some side chaining of bass controlled by kick.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote