Ableton Live: mapping a controller so it records and sends midi out
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462008
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,840 Posts
Ableton Live: mapping a controller so it records and sends midi out

I'm sure this is an easy fix but I couldn't sort it yet.
I want to map a knob from a midi controller so that it will send a midi signal to Live that can be sent through a midi ti CV converter (hardware box I already have) to my modular.
This way instead of having to do the automation manually each time, I could record them.
I know how to draw midi automations in Live, but I don't seem to be able to map a midi input to a midi out.

Does that actually make sense to you?
Any help?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Stellar Jay
Stellar Jay has a spectacular aura aboutStellar Jay has a spectacular aura about
Seattle Area
MC Status: 165
Re: Ableton Live: mapping a controller so it records and sends midi out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I'm sure this is an easy fix but I couldn't sort it yet.
I want to map a knob from a midi controller so that it will send a midi signal to Live that can be sent through a midi ti CV converter (hardware box I already have) to my modular.
This way instead of having to do the automation manually each time, I could record them.
I know how to draw midi automations in Live, but I don't seem to be able to map a midi input to a midi out.

Does that actually make sense to you?
Any help?
Yes it does, and it also addresses one of the most requested/not received features of Live.

There is no way to record the automation in session view. There is however a workaround. It goes a little something like this:

Unlike the session view clips, the arrangement mode CAN record Automations. What you will have to do is record a bit in Arrangement mode at which point you will have to COPY the envelope over into session view. This is an annoying process especially since some envelopes become relative once in Session view so when you copy them over, the scaling is screwed up so you have to manually adjust it until it sounds the same.

Also there are a couple of programs, and also max4live patches out there to do this, but I never tried them. Honestly, since it's so annoying to do this, I just stay away. Some people have mastered this though and use it regularly.

Best of luck. Get a hold of me on facebook or something if you want more guidance.

Advertisements

------------------
Stellar Jay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote