Which pc laptop should I get for music production?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Which pc laptop should I get for music production?

My birthday is coming up and my dad offered to buy me a laptop. Now just cause he's paying doesn't mean I can afford to go crazy and just get a mac where id be paying 100000$ just for a ram upgrade. Im going to be going back to school so ill be doing alot of production in my headphones with a small interface, in ableton.

Im looking into something with i7 processor, 8gb ram, at least 15in screen, and a decent sized hd with at least 5400rpm. Ill probably be working in 32 bit ableton just cause I already have all the plugins in 32 bit.

Would you guys recommend other specs?
For example:

Can I go with an i7 (2.0Ghz) or is that not enough and I should go with (2.4 GHz)?
Is 15 in screen big enough for large sessions with 50-80 channels?
etc...

Here are some machines I am considering.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Anyone of this would be great for the job??
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Which pc laptop should I get for music production?

I'd say all three would work.

Do you have an audio interface?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I have an audio interface! Alesis io2 express. But I think Im going to get a different one cause im wouldnt say that im very happy with it.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I would recommend laptops with higher resolutions, at least 1600x900 or even 1920x1080 (and definitely for that price).

Stuff like build quality, keyboard and screen don't seem that important (you just want a fast computer right?) but remember that you'll continuously have to work with them. It's in my opinion the most important part of a laptop. Who cares if you have a super fast quad-core when you have to look at an awful screen all day?

Look up reviews and take notes of general build quality, screen quality (good colors? not too much backlight bleeding?), the keyboard and trackpad (responsive? doesn't bend too much when you type?), heat production and noise.

A decent processor and enough RAM is important but you can probably work with a little less without having too much troubles. A laptop which can warm up your drink isn't fun at all.

To be honest, you'll probably have hard time finding something all round good, the new generations of notebooks get worse and worse. Manufacturers still don't see the need for a decent screen and the new ultrabooks trend is just awful (Hey let's make it thinner so we have reduce the clock speed and increase heatproduction!).

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
g0lem (25-08-2013)
Old 21-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

I didn't look at your options but a general advice: if you EVER plan on getting a firewire audio interface you'd need a laptop with a Texas Instruments chipset while most come with a Ricoh one. Just for consideration..

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Spiritos
relic (25-08-2013)
Old 21-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106750
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,376 Posts

How about a Sager/Clevo?

for example - obviously will be cheaper in the USofA.
Word is to buy from a reseller site not the actual Sager site.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler

Thanks for the advice guys I shall make my mind up soon
Old 25-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
studiobee
Minor Glitch
studiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of light
St. John's

I've never seen a Toshiba that doesn't perform like a slug. I would avoid. Honestly I can't see you getting 50-70 tracks out of any of these. Also, if you're using a lot of samples, a 5400rpm drive isn't going to cut it.

Out of these, I would go with the Dell but with the optional hybrid drive - if you can't get that from Microcenter, get it from Dell for $879.
studiobee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029641
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,503 Posts

Nonsense.
I played live with my Toshiba plenty of times and that's on a spec that's over 5 years old now.
The build quality is a lot better than Acer's for example too.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

one with a good set of ram(not a high amount, just good quality) and that can quickly boot from cold. a processor at least dual core 2.48 would be ideal, that way it can serve as a djing computer(quick booting or the ability too is why here) to a computer for media art, and for all your music production needs,

a computer like that can run you under 100-150 dollars really, with the most expensive thing in there is the ram. Its outdated processor wise but unless your using 20 instances of synths plus izotope or some crazy cpu hogs, there is no point in anything more really,

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobee View Post
I've never seen a Toshiba that doesn't perform like a slug. I would avoid. Honestly I can't see you getting 50-70 tracks out of any of these. Also, if you're using a lot of samples, a 5400rpm drive isn't going to cut it.

Out of these, I would go with the Dell but with the optional hybrid drive - if you can't get that from Microcenter, get it from Dell for $879.
ram clips.

as noted before though: the resolution on these is a bit lacking. when I got my last laptop (a sony vaio, which is just amazing.), the display resolution was definitely a deciding factor.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I would say go with the Dell. Personally I'm an Asus guy, I have had laptops from nearly every manufacturer and my Asus always came out on top for performance, aesthetics, and durability. You can get a decent one on newegg or tigerdirect for about a grand with an i7 and four gigs of RAM and a decent HDD. Add an extra two hundred and you can find an eight gig and a better screen.
Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lehsyrus
relic (25-08-2013)
Old 25-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

Dells have horrible build quality. I'd never get another dell laptop.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam

It's basically all personal preferences. I have an old Dell Lattitude which performs marvelous and from my pov Dell has excellent build quality. It's not for nothing most companies have them for their employers. Not because they're cheap but because the build quality is solid.

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Old 25-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

Dell build quality comes down to the specific model.
It varies greatly from series to series.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

The one we got was a fairly pricey Dell Studio XPS model. It started falling apart right away. The power cord went first, then the keyboard, then the usb ports. Oh yea - the built in speakers never worked.The screen was very nice though. The specs were great too.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
Dell build quality comes down to the specific model.
It varies greatly from series to series.
I suppose you're right as is with all hardware.

I recently bought my used Dell E5500 assuming I could only work with it marginally but I was amazed about the quality. It has a 2,4 Ghz CPU and 4 GB Ram but Live9 on simple Asio drivers run with 12 ms latency and I haven't tweaked anything yet running Win7 86x so I'm more than happy.

Prior to that at work I had a Dell as well before they moved to Macbooks and I liked it as well so.. personal preferences and experiences plus series sums it up quite right I think.

------------------
Old 25-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
istinspring
Minor Glitch
istinspring has a spectacular aura aboutistinspring has a spectacular aura about
Ko Samui / Thailand
MC Status: 160

Dell Vostro is very good. Recently tried to choose laptop for work (web dev) but finally end up with mac air. What is great on apple side is that there is shitload of music related apps (a lot of FREE) for iPhone and iPad which turn device into external ableton controller or synth. But i used FL Studio for years, learning ableton which is very different from FL style is little bit tricky.
istinspring is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

my personal laptop I was using crapped out when I was on a long vacation so I was recently looking for a new laptop at a good price, Im a student and don't really have the money to grab a MacBook pro with school coming up... I ended up getting a HP laptop with windows 7 with upgraded ram and harddrive..... It should get to me Tommorrow so I hope it was a good choice but I got the laptop from HP for only 640 shipped.... I feel like I got a decent computer for the price 6gb of ram 3.1 ghz i5 processor and 640gb on the hardrive or something like that on the hardrive... I presume it will run reason 6.5 great so I think it is just what I needed
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537780
Thanked 6,937 Times in 4,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
I would say go with the Dell. Personally I'm an Asus guy, I have had laptops from nearly every manufacturer and my Asus always came out on top for performance, aesthetics, and durability. You can get a decent one on newegg or tigerdirect for about a grand with an i7 and four gigs of RAM and a decent HDD. Add an extra two hundred and you can find an eight gig and a better screen.
Asus is just about the only manufacturer making a decent laptop these days IMO. My family's business has gone through over 25 laptops/desktops in the past seven or so years and the only ones worth a shit are Asus. The build quality is there, they never skimp on parts.

If you go with Dell, their corporate class machines are still pretty good. But I think you have to be a business to buy those models (at least directly from Dell anyway).

tigerdirect is spot on too! Last year I got an ASUS i5 dual core, with 6 gigs of RAM, 15 inch monitor for like...400USD? It was a referb. The motherboard was bad, but ASUS referbs have 90 day warranty. They fixed it, all the shipping was free, no issues since.

You could build an amazing desktop for less than 1,000 dollars and still have plenty to buy a nice audio interface.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Lehsyrus (27-08-2013)