The best Freeware DAW? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #21
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47410
Re: The best Freeware DAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I haven't seen a completely free daw before, maybe they exist though.

There is a nice cheap one called Reaper that costs 60 bucks AND you can use the "trial" version (which is the full version) without paying for as long as you want, essentially making it "free to try" with no restrictions other than a nag screen when you start it up.
The nag screen is pretty bad if you don't pay, however. It starts telling you to "clean your room" and "go get a job" at some point and then wants to know all about your friends and why they are over so late and what is that funny smell coming from under your door.

Advertisements

Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
Nemo Le Vampire
Learning The Ropes
Nemo Le Vampire is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Old thread, but for what it's worth (to any future visitor).

I can give a +1 to Ardour in this category.
Been using it for a while and can't complain, also Calf plugins are nice.
Nemo Le Vampire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
HypnoticImplant
Analog Lurker
HypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I like Magix Music Maker. One version was made freeware some time ago and it's good, but it does have strange issues with rendering reverb and delay effects at times. This is why I use the Silver version I found on a cover DVD of some magazine, works much better.

My tracks started sounding kinda muddy, but I guess it's just a crapload of effects, you know, trying to emulate Devin Townend's trademark wall of sound... I think it's worth checking out, although it does not support VSTi's apart from the ones supplied by Magix.
HypnoticImplant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
GuyWithSausageF
Digital Surfer
GuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Not DAWs, but mixing use of Audacity, LMMS, and Milktracker is completely free and opens up some interesting opportunities.

LMMS is pretty much a free FL
GuyWithSausageF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029991
Thanked 7,251 Times in 4,507 Posts

Just seen this tweeted by Sony & RT by GearJunkies so I'm presuming it's legit.

Quote:
Here comes a freebie - ACID Music Studio 10.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

serial number ELT1-HV3Y-FNEM If you get it, let us know. Mr 2 come?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #26
HypnoticImplant
Analog Lurker
HypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithSausageF View Post
LMMS
Gotta love that one. It seems it can import Hydrogen project files, excellent. Is is relatively stable?
HypnoticImplant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #27
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Not DAWs, but mixing use of Audacity, LMMS, and Milktracker is completely free and opens up some interesting opportunities.

LMMS is pretty much a free FL
LMMS is a DAW..and a pretty good one at that, if you're running a Linux OS..and there's even versions of it for OpenBSD and Windows, as well as being ported over to the Mac.

Last edited by A.M; 12-02-2014 at 09:43 PM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
GuyWithSausageF
Digital Surfer
GuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really niceGuyWithSausageF is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
LMMS is a DAW..and a pretty good one at that, if you're running a Linux OS..and there's even versions of it for OpenBSD and Windows, as well as being ported over to the Mac.
Well, yeah. But some people don't consider it a DAW since it can't do many things other DAWs can do. I love it, but I keep running into situations that I need to use Audacity to remedy. Most of these things are standard in almost every other DAW, like waveform editing and bouncing audio.

But, for free, it is amazing. Also, I was just recently directed towards Podium, which has a free version that is almost as full featured as the full version and many say the full version is one of the best DAWs around. Full is 90$ so it isn't that expensive, either.
GuyWithSausageF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #29
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Full is 90$ so it isn't that expensive, either.
50$.

Also check out Reaper.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #30
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before..or maybe not in this thread..but in case, there is always MuLab from MuTools.com ( [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)..which is my DAW of choice and one I can't see myself moving over from to anything else.

They do offer a free version, but it's really limited. Still, it's good to get to know and there are ways to work with it even with the limits imposed.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
OfficialHasse
Minor Glitch
OfficialHasse is just really niceOfficialHasse is just really niceOfficialHasse is just really niceOfficialHasse is just really niceOfficialHasse is just really nice
Inverness, United Kingdom
MC Status: 410

With developers raging with Vitamin C and the lead developer being a Qt, LMMS is on the rise! Check it out!

(C/C++ is the programming language LMMS uses, with the Qt API, hence the puns - I know they're terrible)
OfficialHasse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 03:03 AM   #32
Ametrine
Granular Poster
Ametrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the roughAmetrine is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I didn't know there were any "free" daws either. I recommend just giving the FL demo a whirl for now. Can't save projects, so just keep the computer on indefinitely lol.
Ametrine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #33
radish
Granular Poster
radish is a jewel in the roughradish is a jewel in the roughradish is a jewel in the roughradish is a jewel in the rough
beneath the earth
MC Status: 310

Someone mentioned a free tracker earlier, I think it was called Jeskola Buzz Machine.

I like using Paulstretch and Audacity. Both are free and you can do weird stuff with them. They're both eyesores, but if you're patient, you can do some fun stuff with them.
radish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #34
myfreemickey
Learning The Ropes
myfreemickey is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo Le Vampire View Post
Old thread, but for what it's worth (to any future visitor).

I can give a +1 to Ardour in this category.
Been using it for a while and can't complain, also Calf plugins are nice.
I'm giving Ardour also a big thumb up. Just started with it so I still have to find my way a bit. But it shown as a high quality music production tool. It even has a track for video. For the case you have to make a soundtrack. Calf plugins also is a very good complete package.
myfreemickey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #35
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I haven't seen a completely free daw before, maybe they exist though.

There is a nice cheap one called Reaper that costs 60 bucks AND you can use the "trial" version (which is the full version) without paying for as long as you want, essentially making it "free to try" with no restrictions other than a nag screen when you start it up.
I have to agree with this one. Really good software, crazy how far its come since I saw it coming out several years back. Just not amazing if you are geared towards electronic music. But if you record live stuff its pretty well suited considering the cheap/free price.
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #36
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histronics View Post
I have to agree with this one. Really good software, crazy how far its come since I saw it coming out several years back. Just not amazing if you are geared towards electronic music. But if you record live stuff its pretty well suited considering the cheap/free price.
actually once you get used to its workflow its pretty nice for doing electronic stuff too, i've been using it as my main daw for 2 years more or less

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458

Renoise is kind of a free DAW, its demo has very few limitations and can be used infinitely long. Also, Sunvox. It's more of a tracker, but you can make some damn good music using it

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #38
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw_pss View Post
Renoise is kind of a free DAW, its demo has very few limitations and can be used infinitely long. Also, Sunvox. It's more of a tracker, but you can make some damn good music using it
Renoise is pretty nice. Modplug 4 lyfe though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndwella View Post
actually once you get used to its workflow its pretty nice for doing electronic stuff too, i've been using it as my main daw for 2 years more or less
Nice. For me I just can't really get into it for things like that. Either way, still a good DAW.
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #39
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Jeskola Buzz.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #40
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Jeskola Buzz.
I think that's got the Alice Deejay "Better Off Alone" beep synth in it

Advertisements

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote