New Laptop, advice needed
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 19-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
alexropo
Minor Glitch
alexropo is currently spamming hard
Ottawa
MC Status: 10
New Laptop, advice needed

I've been given the opportunity to get an acer computer for a relatively cheap price...

8 GB of Ram, with an i5 processor, 15 inch screen 750 gb Hard drive... for just about 900$ with tax..

The catch: it's an acer, which i have never really had confidence in...

btw the reason im getting it cheap is that my friend is giving me an employee discount so i need your advice, should i take it? What else do i need in the computer?

Advertisements

------------------
Check it out and comment!

alexropo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
soldoutactivist
Analog Lurker
soldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MC
I'm around
MC Status: 225514
Re: New Laptop, advice needed

Sounds like a steal and a solid music rig. You didn't mention the video card, but I imagine you aren't expecting to play Crysis on it.

------------------
Grab the new EP, Battles! Only a buck!

Latest Work: Battle of Crickets
soldoutactivist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155

I worked at Geek Squad for a number of years and I'll tell you right now, I saw every single laptop equally. They all suck.

What I'm trying to say is if you plan on using this as your main recording rig, I would HIGHLY recommend spending that money on a decent desktop as you'll be able to get a lot more for your buck and have much more options for future upgrades.

You could get almost twice the PC for 700 bucks and a 23" monitor for 200.

Plus you could play Crysis on it

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
soldoutactivist
Analog Lurker
soldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MCsoldoutactivist is a savage MC
I'm around

Or you could spend $3k on a macbook pro, install Windows on that and then play crysis 2.

That's what I did anyway.

------------------

Old 20-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762791

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldoutactivist View Post
Or you could spend $3k on a macbook pro, install Windows on that and then play crysis 2.

That's what I did anyway.
Why did you buy a Mac if you´re using FL studio and you were going to use Windows anyways? *Facepalm*
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

$900 for that is "a steal"? That's no steal my friend. Look at Lenovo. Christ, a Sony Vaio with similar specs isn't much more here and Australia is notorious for shit laptop prices.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
soldoutactivist
Analog Lurker
I'm around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Why did you buy a Mac if you´re using FL studio and you were going to use Windows anyways? *Facepalm*
Because I build iOS apps these days. And I've tried using Live, but after using FL Studio for more than a decade, it was not a transition to be. Plus I spent a fair amount of time each day in Mac, Windows, and Linux.

In the end, this laptop is rather cost-effective.

By the way, they just announced a mac-version of FL Studio!

Advertisements

------------------