The best Freeware DAW? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 15-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #41
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts
Re: The best Freeware DAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Just seen this tweeted by Sony & RT by GearJunkies so I'm presuming it's legit.
Only just read this now....dl it and it didn't work. Must have been a spoof or a limited offer.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #42
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029991
Thanked 7,251 Times in 4,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
a limited offer.
Yeah, it was back in Feb to be fair.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #43
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
I think that's got the Alice Deejay "Better Off Alone" beep synth in it
Totally!
You can also make that annoying "Darude - Sandstorm" synth in it. But it can also make all those lovely "James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning" (album) and "KiNK - Daddy Acid" sounds, etc. You can pretty much do any sound/noise in it since it's a vast modular tracker. Possibilities endless.

Last edited by Evelon; 15-12-2014 at 01:21 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #44
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Totally!
You can also make that annoying "Darude - Sandstorm" synth in it. But it can also make all those lovely "James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning" (album) and "KiNK - Daddy Acid" sounds, etc. You can pretty much do any sound/noise in it since a vast modular tracker.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Lol fab. Here I come with my remix of Sandstorm under my Darik alias.
Not forgetting that FL Studio came with that pizzicato synth from Insomnia

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #45
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Yeah, it was back in Feb to be fair.
Yeah..I guess..but it was worth the try anyway.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #46
Joopiter
Regular Freak
Joopiter has a spectacular aura aboutJoopiter has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Mario paint composer. No doubt.
Joopiter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #47
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610

I love Reaper. It's not strictly free, but the demo has no restrictions and lasts for 60 days. If you do decide to buy it's only 35, which is a bargain considering what you can do with it. Very supportive community and a worthwhile company aiming to provide a high level product for most budgets.
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NChil10
Nystagmus (14-12-2015)
Old 29-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #48
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

The demo version of FL Studio is really quite amazing. It pretty much functions entirely as a registered version with no time limitation and the native plugins don't pop, hiss, or drop in volume after X amount of time. It's easy to understand so you can pretty much get to work as soon as you load it. (I simply cannot remember if there are rendering limitations or not) Anyway, here is a link with info.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #49
Greenstorm33
Regular Freak
Greenstorm33 is a jewel in the roughGreenstorm33 is a jewel in the roughGreenstorm33 is a jewel in the roughGreenstorm33 is a jewel in the rough
Pennsylvania
MC Status: 310

In case anybody missed it, Tracktion 4, which has been available with certain Behringer products, is now free for everybody. I can't link to it, but details can be found by googling "bedroom producers blog tracktion." I haven't tested it extensively yet, but it seems pretty nice, if a bit unconventional in its workflow. It also doesn't really seem to have any native plugins, so it may not be the best choice for somebody who would rather have a complete workstation right off the bat and not have to hunt down a bunch of free VSTs (which really isn't too difficult, but whatever).

One thing it does have is the ability to serve as a Rewire master. This provides anybody who only has Renoise (or Renoise and a DAW with bad Rewire support *cough* FL Studio *cough*) with a free piano roll-based app to plug into it, which is nice for people like me who love Renoise for rhythmic material but would rather use a piano roll for most melodic stuff.

One other note: at least on my system, the plugin scanner is terrible. It does a deep scan of your plugins that takes a long time and a ton of CPU, and it doesn't even seem like it's doing anything because the progress bar freezes. It will finish if you just leave it alone long enough, though. I really hope they improved that in the newer versions of Tracktion.

Greenstorm33 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Greenstorm33
A.M (12-05-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #50
CoherencePromo
Regular Freak
CoherencePromo is a jewel in the roughCoherencePromo is a jewel in the roughCoherencePromo is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

i've tryed some of free daws on the market, just because i was curious what they can give to me. well most of them were poor in functionallity. Zynewave Podium Free i like the most, but not using it for real work. too much pain in the ass after long years of using non ffee daw.
CoherencePromo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #51
f r
Minor Glitch
f r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

what about garageband? its free, plus 5$ extra for 200 new sounds
f r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #52
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I'd say Ardour. LMMS seems really user-unfriendly to me.
Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:57 AM   #53
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Honestly, for people like me that want the simple route....see what you can do with LMMS. I'm basically saying it for this reason: it's like FL, but Lo-fi. LADPSA plugins probably are worth learning a little about too. The developers are planning on overhauling the GUI too, so that means more stability, more change, more development. Why this DAW isn't being pushed more, I have no idea. You can jump in and start making tracks in a minimal measure of time and I wish it got more exposure.

For the guy who wants to learn to make beats, LMMS and Audacity together aren't a bad start.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #54
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joopiter View Post
Mario paint composer. No doubt.
The sf2 is good to pull out and play with.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #55
REC
Regular Freak
REC will become famous soon enough
Pacific NorthWest
MC Status: 60

I've seen Audacity mentioned as a supplemental tool several times in this thread, but I use audacity for literally everything except when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to generate 64 different sine waves. Milkytracker for external sequences, but Audacity for literally everything else. Drum creation, Audio mangling, etc. I'm having a hard time finding anyone else that uses Audacity as their dedicated DAW! I've tried FL, Max MSP(if I had a more powerful computer I would go this route) Sony acid but none of these could pull me away from Audacity. Something about making everything by hand is hard to beat. The workflow is brutal some days, with writer's block bringing everything to a standstill. But I think it helps to reduce complacency. The dream is a modular setup, but the transition will probably be so jarring that I won't actually be able to switch over.
REC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #56
equilibr1um
Learning The Ropes
equilibr1um will become famous soon enoughequilibr1um will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Now there is caustic 3, the work flow is very boring and take ages, but the final result is good.

Advertisements

equilibr1um is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote