Why do some people hate electronic music? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 26-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #21
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
In sharky waters
MC Status: 400169760
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Wha
I don't even--

...you are a bitch's loose cunt.

FACT!!!

Advertisements

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #22
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421874829
Thanked 4,937 Times in 2,856 Posts

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #23
Phosphate
Radial Developer
Phosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MC
Missouri
MC Status: 138588

What I've found is two main things that people tell me:

There is no singing ( There is sometimes foo ;o)
It's too repetitive.

When I first heard trance I thought what the hell this is way too repetitive, but now I like it, I guess I've adapted to it hah. But like the others said, don't get pissed from it, who cares if they hate it. We love it!

Also many people hear one crazy song that is very, "rave-y" if you will, and are like heh this is for nerds. They don't understand the branches and styles of electronic music, not everything is like the other songs. I dunno if Im making any sense so I will stop now..

------------------
Phosphate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #24
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

I kind of agree that Autechre isn't the first thing I would try to catch people's attention with, but I never understood the "cold, sterile" argument. Electronic music has always made me feel something in the way of an emotion, even songs that are intentionally "cold".

Also, I suppose the "image of a nerd on his computer" thing never bothered me because I don't imagine who made the song as I listen to it, in all honesty I don't give a shit what they look like.

Also, synesthesia gets in the way of that.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
I kind of agree that Autechre isn't the first thing I would try to catch people's attention with, but I never understood the "cold, sterile" argument. Electronic music has always made me feel something in the way of an emotion, even songs that are intentionally "cold".

Also, I suppose the "image of a nerd on his computer" thing never bothered me because I don't imagine who made the song as I listen to it, in all honesty I don't give a shit what they look like.

Also, synesthesia gets in the way of that.
I'm looking at this from your average person's point of view. I don't understand why electronic music fans can't understand why most people don't like it, or why they care so much if those people do or not. You don't see metal heads complaining about how most people don't like metal, do you?

I also forgot to mention that Autechre is horribly repetitive. HORRIBLY.

I also forgot to mention that I own 5 of their albums.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 26-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
I'm looking at this from your average person's point of view. I don't understand why electronic music fans can't understand why most people don't like it, or why they care so much if those people do or not. You don't see metal heads complaining about how most people don't like metal, do you?

I also forgot to mention that Autechre is horribly repetitive. HORRIBLY.

I also forgot to mention that I own 5 of their albums.
I don't care if people like it or not, really, but sometimes I feel like I don't have anyone IRL to relate to.

Also, metal heads are more common than electronic music nerds, at least in my area, so I don't expect them to feel as though everyone hates their music.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Seriously though, if you don't get why nobody listens to Boards Of Canada or Venetian Snares or whatever, then you don't know much about people. I know people that see all electronic music as variations on this:

Honestly with all the shit on the radio it's hard to blame them.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560130
Thanked 7,384 Times in 5,221 Posts

+1 for "Put A Donk On it" ...lol...I watched a whole documentary about that and Blackout Crew at one point. Think it was on YouTube.

At OP: I don't even like 90% of electronic music I come across. Fact. I don't blame people who dislike 100% of it.

A LOT of pop music is very EDM sounding these days, as mentioned previously. But it all has a vocal focus. I'd bet if took a lot of top 40 tunes (discounting things with particularly catchy instrumental hooks) and stripped the vocals out a lot of people would probably say, "Oh, that is just that techno music".

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
GbassOfficial
Minor Glitch
GbassOfficial is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 34

This post is soo right! I mean some people like EM and they say they don't when some1 ask, and claim to be into "guns and roses" or some "popularly accepted band". I just can't get it, they can say they like it all they would sure sound more open minded

------------------
VOTE FOR ME IN THE REMIX COMPETITION: click here thanks for listening!
Soundcloud
GbassOfficial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #30
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

I agree very much with Relic who pointed out that a lot of stripped pop tunes sound very electronic. This was also true even back in the 80s.

Some people hate electronic music for 1 of two reasons:

1) lack of imagination on part of the composer
2) lack of imagination on part of the listener

You need enough of both for a winning combination.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
timeform
Learning The Ropes
timeform is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Made by computers
timeform is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #32
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeform View Post
Made by computers
Nope, made by humans using computers as instruments. Otherwise, punk rock is made by guitars.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #33
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Nope, made by humans using computers as instruments. Otherwise, punk rock is made by guitars.
Shamefully, people don't see it like that.

I believe people often see it as: it is made by computer, SO THEREFORE IT IS DONE AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT THOUGHT AND IS EASY as if it is a horrible mechanical process. Bunch of bullshit really.

I had a friend saying all you do to create electronic music is literally press a button and its done for you...I then explained that that approach of just 'pressing a button' would be algorithmic composition, and that that would take a hell of a lot of skilled and esoteric knowledge of mathematics and production to accomplish, probably as much as what anyone would put into learning a 'real' instrument in the first place...years of knowledge and practice.
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #34
phido
Granular Poster
phido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MC
MC Status: 2543972

As a former electronic music hater I would say it's mainly because of limited perception what electronic music encompasses. In school there were so many people around me who were into EDM just because it was cool to be and listened to the crappiest Eurodance shite available that I judged all of "Tekkno".(the more k the harder, anyone remember that?) to be like that and turned to Rock and eventually Deathmetal and Blackmetal, which has a different kind of energy than Dance music, IMO.

Some EDM (probably a lot) is pretty simplistic, repetitive to the extreme, unimaginative and so commercially ambitious that it not only has no soul, but feels like it tries to devour yours and turn your brain into grey mush while it's at it.

Otoh there's stuff like Ochre, Italtek, the martian etc., but unless you are either lucky enough to be exposed to it or actively develop an interest you may never realize there's a whole universe of sound to discover.

In the end, different people like different kinds of music, and while I may feel like hot needles are shot through my eardrums my neighbour may actually enjoy whatever he's torturing me wth
phido is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Electronicexplorations4
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #35
snake282
Regular Freak
snake282 is currently spamming hard

Quote:
best point ever
snake282 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #36
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Minion View Post

I believe people often see it as: it is made by computer, SO THEREFORE IT IS DONE AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT THOUGHT AND IS EASY as if it is a horrible mechanical process. Bunch of bullshit really.
And then you fall in the "it's art beacause it's fucking hard to do" argumentation and you look like a jazz fan.

Sad really, but that's the price of being at the pinpoint of current music evolution.

:-)

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #37
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Quote:
Or you can go my route and make punk rock WITH COMPUTERS.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

because they're fucking stupid.

Who cares? Seriously? Who gives a flying fuck?

are you gonna start rolling around the floor sobbing in fetal position because not everyone likes grapefruit too?

its either : "boohoo woe betide me no one understands electronic music" or "waaaaa waaaaa dubstep......everyone *sniffle* killing electronic music *sob* too many artists" on here.

Last edited by Triton64; 09-09-2011 at 10:08 AM..

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
The Snark
Minor Glitch
The Snark is currently spamming hard
Dayton, OH

Electronic music board: "Why does everyone hate electronic music?"

Metal board: "Why does everyone hate heavy metal?"

Punk board: "Why does everyone hate punk music?"

Rap board: "Why do people be hatin' on hip-hop?"

"People" don't hate electronic music. You're always sensitive to your own interests.
The Snark is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #40
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snark View Post
Electronic music board: "Why does everyone hate electronic music?"

Metal board: "Why does everyone hate heavy metal?"

Punk board: "Why does everyone hate punk music?"

Rap board: "Why do people be hatin' on hip-hop?"
wow... you get around

Advertisements

Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote