Production controller?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Neutr4l Numb3r
Granular Poster
Neutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MC
MC Status: 3363137
Production controller?

Any recommended controllers used for production? Looking for something that I can link up to my software and then automate parameters and other things. Wanting to make my production flow smoother and be more "immersive".

Using Live by the way.

Advertisements

------------------
Neutr4l Numb3r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178
Re: Production controller?

Any of these will do the trick:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282484
Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,748 Posts

in general controllers just arent for me when producing, i dont like them and i would honestly rather use a mouse. but i do have a native instruments maschine ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

because it comes with its own software it is crazy how much you can do without even looking at the screen. i use ableton live too, the software that comes with it is more for getting the idea down on (the way i use it) and then you can open it up as a plugin in ableton. there are a ton of ways you can connect it to ableton too so there will be one that suits you

also its a very nice controller that you can use for anything too

maschine mikro kinda takes away a lot of the functionality so i would maybe stay away from that if you will be wanting the maschine a few months down the line

thats my only suggestion

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
CircusofMind
IDMf Artist
CircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MCCircusofMind is a savage MC
SF Bay Area
MC Status: 2938001

Depends on what you want to control. There are all kinds of controllers with a variety of layouts. I use a PadKontrol for drum pads and an Ohm64 for buttons, faders, and knobs. The Ohm64 is also my DJ/Live Performance controller.

------------------
*****Website*****Facebook*****Soundcloud*****Bandcamp*****
CircusofMind is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

What's your budget? Do you play piano/want keys, or are you just looking for knobs and sliders? Drum pads? Will you be using it to perform live?
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA

^^^^^

All of these responses just reinforce my point. Ask a vague question get a vague answer. Any midi controller will do what you're asking for.

I'd recommend sitting down and writing a list of things that you'd like the controller to do. Figure out how your workflow will be improved before doing a blind search.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Anodyne is definitely right, but I'm still going to go ahead and recommend [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

Maschine is a beast.

magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Anodyne Industries
Oakland, CA

Maschine IS a beast. Unless you need keys or faders.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
psilocyborg
Granular Poster
psilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MC
MC Status: 4623837

I really dig my Akai MPK25. I wish I had the $$ for the MPK49 as 2 extra octaves would be hella useful, but as it is the 25 keys at least helps me get certain bass and synth ideas down quicker than trying to write that shit out on the piano roll. I still find myself using the piano roll more often than not, but it's impossible to jam on one so that's where a real controller becomes your friend. The 12 drum pads on the MPK25 are a nice addition. I don't get a lot of use out of them since I have a dedicated drum pad, but you can route them to a different MIDI channel, or edit the MIDI notes they output. So for instance you could control a sampled drum set, or if you use Kontakt you could route the drumpad to trigger ketswitches since the keyboard isn't big enough to get to them normally. The keys feel real nice, weighted but fast enough that they don't hinder my playing (I'm a not really much a key player lol...). Its got Aftertouch, which I haven't really messed with much yet but the option is nice to have, and IIRC a lot of controllers in its price range do not include it.

Also have an Akai MPD24 but honestly I do not get a lot of mileage out of drum pads. It's got a good amount of faders and knobs and that's mostly what I use it for. That and I have a custom program setup for a Hang Drum multisampled instrument I made which is super fun and intuitive.
psilocyborg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
ChaosUK
Radial Developer
ChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MCChaosUK is a savage MC
Purgatory
MC Status: 8078395

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilocyborg View Post
I really dig my Akai MPK25.
This. Love this thing, i got to play around with it for a bit, and it's great. I currently only have a Akai LPD8, but i plan on upgrading in the future when i scrap up the money

------------------
SoundcloudBandcampTwitterFacebook
HOLY KINDERGARTEN BATMAN FREE MUSIC! 1 2
I GOT MENTIONED SOMEWHERE!!!
ChaosUK is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
psilocyborg
Granular Poster
psilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MC
MC Status: 4623837

Forgot to mention the transport controls on the MPK25 are pretty sweet. You can record/play/stop/skip forward and backward to locators in your arrangement. Not having to flip between hitting record/play with your mouse then jumping to your keys in time, really makes laying down takes a dream,
psilocyborg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
Neutr4l Numb3r
Granular Poster
Neutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MCNeutr4l Numb3r is a savage MC
MC Status: 3363137

Godammit thanks for the responses ha. Ill go over them thoroughly tomorrow.
But yeah..

Working with Ableton Live
Budget of $350 max (POSSIBLY higher if needed)
Not using it for performance, only production
A decent amount of knobs and faders I can assign macros to.
Not looking specifically for a drum pad but itd be a nice addition on the controller.

And just looking for any general advice with your experiences with controllers.

Advertisements

------------------
Neutr4l Numb3r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote