FM Synthesis, FM8 and John Chowning
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Beijing-King
Regular Freak
Beijing-King will become famous soon enoughBeijing-King will become famous soon enough
Northern Ireland
MC Status: 110
FM Synthesis, FM8 and John Chowning

Hello forum.

Recently I managed to obtain a copy of John Chowning's book on FM synthesis, and am working though it, trying to take my time so as to ingest everything and make it stick.

One difficulty I've found is performing the exercises that they have in the book with any of my plugins. I have the Ni Komplete 7 package and am trying to use FM8 to, for example, create a square wave. However, while FM8 has 6 operators much like the original Yamaha DX7 had, I haven't found an option possible to specify each operator to a specific frequency, as they'll be determined by the key that I press on the FM8 keyboard. You can offset and change the ration, but can't change the frequency. With each operator you can simply determine the wave type you want, however for the purpose of learning I'd much rather go about things the longer way.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious in FM8 that will allow me to do this, or is there another simple plugin out there that will allow me to perform said exercises?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks guys

Advertisements

Beijing-King is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Jon Hopkins - Light Through The Veins
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Safer
Regular Freak
Safer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MCSafer is a savage MC
Missouri
MC Status: 32685
Re: FM Synthesis, FM8 and John Chowning

I just got FM8 myself and have been having some issues myself. I'm not sure if I can help much because I don't understand it very well. But the letters in the VST itself when the tops of them are clicked. You can change the pitch of your notes. Not sure if this will fix your issue but I tried

I have an issue myself. I produced an LFO/wobble whatever in fm8. But when I try to put it in the notes in my sequencer (piano roll FL) It disregards the wobble completely and just gives it a straight tone. Not really a similar issue but I can't find an answer anywhere else.

Last edited by Safer; 04-01-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Safer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Isris
Soundwave Mangler
Isris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MC
Birmingham
MC Status: 628909

Hey man are you still having trouble with this? If so let me know and I'll whack you up a quick FM synth in Max/MSP which you can run in the runtime.

------------------
Isris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
depaffect
Soundwave Mangler
depaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 853440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beijing-King View Post
Hello forum.

Recently I managed to obtain a copy of John Chowning's book on FM synthesis, and am working though it, trying to take my time so as to ingest everything and make it stick.

One difficulty I've found is performing the exercises that they have in the book with any of my plugins. I have the Ni Komplete 7 package and am trying to use FM8 to, for example, create a square wave. However, while FM8 has 6 operators much like the original Yamaha DX7 had, I haven't found an option possible to specify each operator to a specific frequency, as they'll be determined by the key that I press on the FM8 keyboard. You can offset and change the ration, but can't change the frequency. With each operator you can simply determine the wave type you want, however for the purpose of learning I'd much rather go about things the longer way.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious in FM8 that will allow me to do this, or is there another simple plugin out there that will allow me to perform said exercises?

Thanks guys
easy!

turn the ratio all the way down to 0

then specify the Hz you want the operator to generate with the offset parameter

when you do this, it won't matter what note you play

------------------
depaffect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11474604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beijing-King View Post
Hello forum.

Thanks guys
use the ratio to get it close, then use the offset to match it

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
depaffect
Soundwave Mangler
depaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 853440

no no noNO NO NO NO

he wants to set the operators to a specific frequency, regardless of the incoming MIDI note

so just turn the ratio to 0; and specify the frequency in offset.

so if you want 440hz, type 440hz into offset. then no matter what key you press, you'll get 440hz

Advertisements

------------------
depaffect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote