Kind of a cool idea, but don't know how to go about making it....
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 18-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Will.E.P.
Ghostly
Will.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MC
North Carolina
MC Status: 7678117
Kind of a cool idea, but don't know how to go about making it....

Okay, so I have Max for live, but I'm not really great with using it. I had somewhat of a cool idea though...

I was looking at my number pad on my keyboard, and thought to myself "This would make a pretty good XY controller." I would really like this, but I have no idea how to go about it. I realize it's probably easier to use a mouse, but it would be nice to be able to use the mouse for other stuff while using the number pad for that. I realize it wouldn't be the smoothing thing in the world but when I thought it out I sort of though of it this way.

2,4,8, and 9 would obviously be vertical movement, 1,7,9, and 3 would be horizontal, a combo of those would do values in between, then 5 could default it back to the center.

Anybody know how to go about doing this. I know I'd make a midi effect, but on top of that I don't know how to allow it to make parameter selections, or if this is possible. I think there may be something in lives system that wouldn't allow this, but maybe it would be cool to try if it isn't possible.

Like a said, I suck with max/msp, so this may be a pretty dumb question... lol

Advertisements

------------------
- William

Will.E.P. (Me) - Polaroids
Will.E.P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902
Re: Kind of a cool idea, but don't know how to go about making it....

Totally doable. although the resolution would be pretty low, it wouldn't be that hard to program that. And you can easily add interpolation do the values 'glide' rather than jump. Unless you want them to jump.

I would actually make it an audio effect, so you can use it on any track, and just pass audio through it with no processing.

Use the [key] object to find the values of the keys that are pressed. Then you can use [select] to map those values from 0-127. For example, 1 spits out the value 49, so [select 49] will ouput a bang, send that to a message box of 0, repeat for all other numbers. so you will have your 0-127 for both horizontal and vertical values. then send these into the left inlet of a [pack f f] and in the right inlet send in the desired glide time, send this into a message box formatted like ($1 $2) into a [line 1. 20], this will be your interpolation. Finally go and steal the code from the M4L LFO object that comes standard with recent releases of M4L. the part you want is the mapping schematic, the menues that you can select parameters with. Make 2 instances of it, and send your x and y values to the two parameter modules that are mapped to something.

It would've probably been easier for me to just make the patch, it wouldn't take long at all...

Let me know how you get on.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Will.E.P.
Ghostly
Will.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MC
North Carolina
MC Status: 7678117
Re: Kind of a cool idea, but don't know how to go about making it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
Totally doable. although the resolution would be pretty low, it wouldn't be that hard to program that. And you can easily add interpolation do the values 'glide' rather than jump. Unless you want them to jump.

I would actually make it an audio effect, so you can use it on any track, and just pass audio through it with no processing.

Use the [key] object to find the values of the keys that are pressed. Then you can use [select] to map those values from 0-127. For example, 1 spits out the value 49, so [select 49] will ouput a bang, send that to a message box of 0, repeat for all other numbers. so you will have your 0-127 for both horizontal and vertical values. then send these into the left inlet of a [pack f f] and in the right inlet send in the desired glide time, send this into a message box formatted like ($1 $2) into a [line 1. 20], this will be your interpolation. Finally go and steal the code from the M4L LFO object that comes standard with recent releases of M4L. the part you want is the mapping schematic, the menues that you can select parameters with. Make 2 instances of it, and send your x and y values to the two parameter modules that are mapped to something.

It would've probably been easier for me to just make the patch, it wouldn't take long at all...

Let me know how you get on.
Cool, man! Thanks. I will go at it tomorrow. I will probably run into some sort of bump since, like I said, I'm not the greatest, but what you told me already makes it seem a lot of accessible for me.

Advertisements

------------------
- William

Will.E.P. (Me) - Polaroids
Will.E.P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote