Reaktor - Non-Volatile 'Array' object for sampling, saving and recalling?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 25-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
simioliolio
simioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MC
south london
MC Status: 172301
Reaktor - Non-Volatile 'Array' object for sampling, saving and recalling?

Hi Guys

Just posted this at the Reaktor Forum, but thought I might throw it over here as well...

I am sick and tired of chopping up wavs in a wave editor and layering them across keys in samplers. In Logic, I want to be able to route something to an AU Midi-Controlled Effect via an internal bus, hit midi notes in a record mode to record a sample 'in' to a key, come out of record mode, and be able to play the recorded sample repeatedly using the same key, with vel sensitivity, envelopes, effects etc. It solves a huge problem for me, as I really enjoy hitting button pads on my korg microkontrol, but rarely have anything to trigger unless i painstakingly load samples onto virtual pads using the mouse first. i want to be able to sample whilst hitting pads, mpc style, but without getting any external hardware.

I thought "ah, this is a job for Reaktor", so built a sampling and playback engine in core, with a switching gui for each triggered sample which sends and receives parameter info such as start time, envelope etc. it works, and its very close to what i want.

Unfortunately, if I load it as a midi-controlled effect, sample some audio, save, close, then reopen, all of my sounds are gone, because the Arrays in core do not store the data with the patch, so obviously no audio plays back.

In Max, this would be extremely simple, and is still possible if I route audio out of Logic via Soundflower, then whatever I play can be routed back in to Logic, but I dont have any tweakable recorded midi in my timeline, and continuously switching between portable in build audio device and home audio interface makes having to use aggregate sound device and soundflower quite cumbersome.

Reaktor would be the perfect solution, if only Reaktor had objects which could store values, and keep them as part of the patch data (a non-volatile array!). Anyone got an idea how this could be possible? Also, anyone got a recommendation for an AU midi-controlled effect that I could use instead? I was thinking Battery, but that doesnt look like it can be instantiated as a midi-controlled effect, and therefore cannot sample.

If you have read this far, thank you so much. Any ideas will be HUGELY appreciated, as this will solve a big problem for me, and be great fun for others.

Cheers

Simiolioliooooooo

Advertisements

------------------
simioliolio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026491
Thanked 7,181 Times in 4,468 Posts
Re: Reaktor - Non-Volatile 'Array' object for sampling, saving and recalling?

I'm not sure I understand you fully (and btw Ableton Live can do this very easily with the "slice to midi" option), but can't you load all the samples in and then save the sample map and then save your ensemble?
Wouldn't that keep the samples in there for next time?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
simioliolio
simioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MC
south london

Hi Sveldt.

What object would you use for recording samples and adding them in to the sample map? I don't want to load files, otherwise I would just use Battery/Kontakt/anything else to add wav/aiff files that I have prepared in a wave editor. I want to be able to sample audio using a mid note (in record mode), then use the same midi note (in playback mode) to playback the sample. This isnt really for adding samples and playing them back. Its re-synthesis of existing audio in my Logic session, chopping up a sound and laying over midi notes, but in real time, rather than fiddling about with files...

------------------
Old 25-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026491
Thanked 7,181 Times in 4,468 Posts

Right, gotcha, sorry.
I'm not sure tbh, I've not done that in Reaktor myself.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
simioliolio
south london

I had a good delve into the documentation when thinking about this, and pretty sure it is not possible. Pain. I might post a cry for help in the 'Studio' section, and see if any AU-heads have found a way round this. Thanks for the hint on midi-triggered clips, I have just started getting back into Live, so will have a play.

------------------
Old 16-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Rodin
Rodin has a spectacular aura aboutRodin has a spectacular aura aboutRodin has a spectacular aura about
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 236

If I understand you correctly, Logic 9 has a function for this already. Right click on an audio region and select "convert to new sampler track".

------------------
Rodin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
simioliolio
south london

that's a very good point! i always forget that logic has so many great functions like this...

anyway i found a workaround to the memory problem, and my patch 'spit' will be available in the user library very soon.

Advertisements

------------------