Jaskola Buzz vs. Others - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 26-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #21
alias_9
Minor Glitch
alias_9 is just really nicealias_9 is just really nicealias_9 is just really nicealias_9 is just really nicealias_9 is just really nice
Houston, TX
MC Status: 424
Re: Jaskola Buzz vs. Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
No, limitations really. Only "obsticle" is the lack of visual representation when working with audio, and to record multitrack audio. Usually the music in buzz is bounced and transfered to a more "multitrack oriented" DAW for further do multitrack edits/recordings, like vocals/guitar/drums etc.

being that Buzz is limited in visuals (cpu friendly as hell) you tend to "listen" more, instead of doing music with your eyes. That's my take on it, since I work with both (vertical trackers and graphical horizontal DAWs)

Never used Buzz, but this is the reason why I use a tracker. I just sold logic 7 pro because I do everything in Renoise. The lack of visual that Renoise has puts my ears back in the driver seat.

Big respect to the trackers here.

Advertisements

alias_9 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

its kind of funny, but i agree that buzz is really good for learning the ins and outs of electronic music. given it has the learning curve of a tracker, but the quick start guide is simple enough and once you grasp the concept of a tracker, buzz is great. i stopped using it because it was so damn unstable (Before they released the xp2 thing), but man did i have some great times with it. when i switched to live i found that it had somewhat the same effect as buzz had that evelon was talking about: you rely more on your ears then on your eyes, which is i guess one of the reasons why music made with trackers are usually jampacked with really advanced edits and programming (, well, that, the sample offset and the Exx effects i guess hehe). buzz is great, dont bother going for the knockoffs from the source, i tried almost all of them. psycle was ok i guess. if you are able to learn basic math, you are able to understand a tracker.

dont realy too much of the colored beat markers, hell write everything in quadruple tempo for that matter only, that way youd get even further away from the notion of using your eyes for your music aswell.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #23
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080064
Thanked 1,228 Times in 828 Posts

damn. i fiddled around with buzz a bit, but it kinda crashes on me =(

alsoplustoo, i cant find the option for odd meters. damn. it looks fucking fine for a tracker, tho. is it possible that buzz doesnt support multiprocessors?

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

try to download the lastest Buzz[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(or rename it to Buzz_new.exe and put it in jeskola root folder. You can have both the old and new in the root).

You can use ANY timesignature you want..even 7½/4 if you want. change TPB to 8 or 16 and play around with lengths of patterns (or break to a new patterns whenever you want). In sequence view (F4) you can zoom in and out with SHIFT + and - to get intricate with time signatures.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #25
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080064
Thanked 1,228 Times in 828 Posts

thanks man! woo-hoo! heh. in some parts, buzz is fucking un/counterintuitive... just take a look at the shortcuts... honestly, who came up with that "delete" button-function? plus: no undo....

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #26
Overman
Overman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud ofOverman has much to be proud of
Planet Earth
MC Status: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by abreaktor View Post
plus: no undo....
That's a bad plus.

------------------
Mant cud
Overman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #27
jakobcreutzfeldt
Ghostly
jakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MC
MC Status: 61112557

Tried the new Buzz out last night. Fucking solid. It's great to have this tool again.
jakobcreutzfeldt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Cool!
Yeah, it's a nice tool...even if it is just for experementing/manipulating and exporting snippets to your "capitol DAW".

------------------
Old 28-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #29
jakobcreutzfeldt
Ghostly
jakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MC
MC Status: 61112557

Yep, in fact I made a nice drone last night for later use in Cubase.

That's the main thing I wanted Buzz for: the ability to easily make long, shifting drones. It's much easier than in Cubase.

Now I just need to pick up that thar fancy Evelon skin for it and I'll be set!
jakobcreutzfeldt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #30
Evelon
IDMf Artist

For drones, check out the granular synth Intoxicat Acloud..it can do wonders with just short snippets of wavs:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

it uses wavs inserted in the wavetable [F9]. Boost the Density and MaxGrains (at the bottom of parameters) and mess with it...and run it though a reverb and violá!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Good luck!

------------------
Old 28-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC
MC Status: 5055099

I'd like to go back to use it live every now and then if it was more stable. It botched an unacceptable amount of gigs for me back when i relied on it so there's definently a trust issue. The fact that it still crashes every now and then even though i use stable machines isn't really a good sign.

If Buzz 2 takes care of that i'd be interested.
shotguns is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #32
Evelon
IDMf Artist

yeah, the beta is stable for me and others on the buzzforum (so is the old one after a few [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..and deleting karhu.prs and all effects by the developer named 11). New buzzbeta still has a small gui bug that happens occasionally and I think it's being taken cared of right now. Has something to do with new coding for multiple processors and/or anti-aliasing graphics.

Last edited by Evelon; 28-12-2008 at 02:51 PM..

------------------
Old 28-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #33
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC
MC Status: 5055099

Sounds good. I really liked using it live because even though i had a new laptop it was a 667mhz 128mb ram one and there were no latency at all when changing parameters and tweaking stuff.

I'd be interested in using my new msi wind netbook with it if there's no crashes.

I really enjoyed using buzz live, a bunch of machines can be amazing if abused in all the unsupposed ways. I didn't compose in it but it's a fun way of using an open modular enviroment for live use as long as you have enough time to be really creative.

Last edited by shotguns; 28-12-2008 at 11:46 PM..
shotguns is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
DJ Saint-Hubert
Regular Freak
DJ Saint-Hubert will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

people think I use analog equipment on my Buzz tracks which I like

it does need a better way to do time signatures too... all it needs is to be able to type in an arbitrary step value. You can make patterns any arbitrary amount of rows at least as a visual aid but arranging it in the sequencer window is a lot of copypasting pain in the ass

Also it needs a better way to do envelopes e.g. a curve/smooth function. The sample window lets you design curves/all sorts of exponential stuff but not the other machines with envelopes. wtf. Unless I misunderstand what ADSR looks like when plotted out

also with BLOK you can literally use any synth/effect to control parameters instead of for sound. You can do crap like run an envelope through a filter or distortion and hook that up to the pitch and it sounds all unstable. I want to be able to do this natively in Buzz with any arbitrary parameter ex. what would the pitchbend sound like if the envelope was ran through a compressor first, or any of the weirder effects/modulation/sample and hold haha I want to hear how that would sound damnit

also arbitrary envelopes hooked up to one of the granular synths would probably sound crazy

Last edited by DJ Saint-Hubert; 20-01-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Advertisements

DJ Saint-Hubert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote