?Best Tutorial Site?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910
?Best Tutorial Site?

Hey guys, Im thinking about renting one of those online libraries. I was just wondering which ones you think are best?
I use Reason 6.5 so tutorials using that software is a must and would like tutorials on basic music theory and other music theory things as well.
I know that there are a lot of tutorials that people put up on youtube but I have bought 1 MacProVideo tutorial and i just feel that is better made than most tutorials (obviously people are paid to make them) so if you have gotten one of these libraries and feel that it was not worth it or that it was please post that as well.
I have looked and seen that multiple sites have what I am looking for most at different prices so I wanted to see what experience you guys have had with them if any. If it is worth it? Better to invest money somewhere else? Better to just search around for videos?

Advertisements

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199647118
Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,193 Posts
Re: ?Best Tutorial Site?

I think good old fashioned experimentation will serve you better in the long run. I mean if you're wanting the basics a tutorial might help but you always have the manual for that too. Advanced technique stuff is fun to watch sometimes, or like a pointed tutorial on how to use compressor "x." But even then I think discussing technique with others then trying out what you find will go along way in finding your own method of working.

I could be wrong but it seems, by the title of the thread, you're looking for generalized tutorials on beats in reason. It's these type of tutorials that, in my opinion, create more time wasted than time being productive.

In the end you're own method will always be the best because, no matter how clunky, it's your method.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
bass&moddedFreq (17-09-2013)
Old 17-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Have you checked out the Propellerhead site? I enjoyed these series of tutorials.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

Yeah I have watched a few Tutorials on the Reason site.. The main things I'm looking for are like Basic Music theory things since I dont have much of a music background at all and specific walk troughs on what everything does. Like a Malestrom Walk through on all the aspects of the synth and such..
I know obviously experience is needed whatever you try to learn you need to recreate or try out and tweak to make it work right for you and your own but those are kinda what I'm looking for.....
I found an old VHS tape on How to Learn How to Play Paino in 1 day (i think it may take me a little longer than that though lol) so Im going to be popping that in within the next few days or week and learn some basics that way atleast

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

For basic recording and mixing I just go until I have an issue I can't get around, and then off to youtube search if it's something I want a quick answer for.

For ideas to spice things up, I like Pensado's Place, particularly the "Into The Lair" segments he does. Other than that, browsing youtube works for me. I get a little sluggish with reading shit and sometimes tend to gloss over bits if the paragraphs are too long so hearing it or looking at a process helps me get it down better.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

I have a feeling you have not seen these. They are not as easy to find. It takes a little searching to find these on the site. Watch/Read all of these and you will have a pretty good understanding of Reason.

Here is a run down on malstrom

After watching them you should have a good idea of what is in Reason and then it's a matter of composing and creating a song learning by trial and error.

You learn in layers and concepts. Good luck. And watch those videos! ---->

As far as music theory goes learning how to play an instrument will help you learn that as well as make you more proficient when you go to make music.
Old 17-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer

It seems like you are in a hurry to learn everything. Things take time, just remember that. You may be motivated but be realistic...a video tape for learning the piano in a day wont get you far.

Advertisements