Keep transients when mastering? (+ mastering recommendations?)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 503
Keep transients when mastering? (+ mastering recommendations?)

I often have problems with my mastering. I'm satisfied with my mixdown and everything sounds pretty clean and punchy.

But when I start to master, not everything goes exactly as planned.

My main problem is to achieve same loudness rms like commercial tracks (-8dB is good enough for me) and still keeping the "click" in the kick drum. Somehow commercial tracks are as loud or louder than my track and still got the "click" left and overall sound more dynamical (although they are not if u look on the waveform..).

How to I do this? I've been searching everywhere for a PRO mastering guide that goes through mastering compression, eq and effects but have found none. My mixdowns are clean and tight with eq and mastering, most of my mixdowns sounds FAR more tight and clean than a lot of commercial stuff, but still their mastering is "better"...

Any help here? Also I would like to have recommendations for any engineer that masters house music GOOD, last time i tried to send my track to an engineer he sent me a worse master version than my own and wanted 40 bucks for it...

Advertisements

Lallo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts
Re: Keep transients when mastering? (+ mastering recommendations?)

What tools are you using to master and what exactly are you doing with the mastering chain?

Details.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
What tools are you using to master and what exactly are you doing with the mastering chain?

Details.
I haven't mastered so much yet so my chain is not always the same but right now its
Compressor-EQ-Vintage Warmer-Limiter

I actually just want some pumping and glue with the compressor, EQ to highpassfilter the lowest freq, vintage warmer for some "warmth" and then limiter...

although the transients are gone if I just put on the limiter...

I know a lot of people will say that it's "in the mix" but I think there is a lot to it in the master and also, if it's in the mix, what am I doing wrong? Cant send a sample right know but the mix is very clean and tight with cutted freq where not needed and many sounds and their dynamics tamed with right compression. also cut eq from reverbs , delays etc...
But I cant get the volume without losing the "snap"
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Try multiband compression and compress the lows more than the highs.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
I haven't mastered so much yet so my chain is not always the same but right now its

I actually just want some pumping and glue with the compressor, EQ to highpassfilter the lowest freq, vintage warmer for some "warmth" and then limiter...

I know a lot of people will say that it's "in the mix" but I think there is a lot to it in the master and also, if it's in the mix, what am I doing wrong? Cant send a sample right know but the mix is very clean and tight with cutted freq where not needed and many sounds and their dynamics tamed with right compression. also cut eq from reverbs , delays etc...
But I cant get the volume without losing the "snap"
On a general hunch, I'd say make sure the subsonics are cut hard... like totally gone, and that any excess high (15k +) is cut on elements that don't need it . I know you're doing this already, but do it harder. And try sidechaining/ducking stuff harder away from the click/snap of the kick, and make that with whatever method you're using to duck, the duck is actually occurring at the snap/click and not some ms before or behind.

From not hearing a track that'd be my serious response offering a general guess.

My troll response would be to cut all bass and low mids and just leave a small pass around 125 for the illusion of a kick. Because also from not hearing any of the tracks you're using as comparisons, i'd guess they all sound like shit, from a loudness perspective.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

I think a lot of it is how the kick drums are made. You can slightly offset percussive sounds, but you won't consciously perceive them as being different times. I once put my clap 10ms early and I think it helped a lot.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

Parallel compression may help too

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Lallo
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
I think a lot of it is how the kick drums are made. You can slightly offset percussive sounds, but you won't consciously perceive them as being different times. I once put my clap 10ms early and I think it helped a lot.
My claps are a bit delayed from the kick and I've made a lot of room, bot with eq and sidechaining for the kick. As I said, in the mix it sounds very tights, but as I turn the limiter up, the transient dissapears..
This is nothing new, I mean of course the transients are the first to be compressed by the limiter, but how does the commercial tracks make the loudness and "click" in the kicks?
Here are some examples I've been comparing too:

Antidote - My kick and the overall sound of the track are very similar.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

They're honestly not limiting it that hard, most of it looks and sounds like clever bus compression, and possibly a multiband on the master. I wouldn't use vintagewarmer in conjunction with a limiter, as (from what i googled) vintage warmer is already a compressor/limiter.

In short, you're limiting too much. but it's hard to tell without actually hearing your track.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

A hunch would be...

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (11-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post

Some advice would be to put the EQ before the comp, so the comp doesn't have to work with the unused frequencies you've filtered out. If there's alot of bass happening before that EQ, the comp has to compress those too, and with low end it can lead to heavy pumping.

Also, what are your comp/limiter settings. Without seeing any setting or hearing it, I can only suggest to be subtle and not overcompress the material. What I go for, in my masters, is -3dB to -4dB gain reduction on the comp and then another -3dB GR with the brickwall limiting. with transparent plugins, it should not lead to any bad pumping, the snare and kick show through and it's "glued" together enough.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

Just remember that you'll have to compress in consequences of using a strong limiter to keep your transients.

Also, I found better compressing and/or limiting individual tracks in the mixdown process so you can go easy on your master to achieve a loud RMS level.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Personally, I belong to the school of thought in which mastering your own tracks is a waste of time. Getting an extra pair of ears in the final stages of finishing a track is definitely helpful, especially considering how blind you can get to small issues after having them ingrained in your memory.

That being said, you want to have proper gainstaging before going to mastering. Mastering will even out the levels of your tracks a fair bit. Feel free to exaggerate the differences in levels between things such as pads (Can be really low.) and drums. (Should be quite high.)

In addition, you cannot expect to do everything in the mastering stage. That's just not going to fly. If you have no compression/limiting going on before it, you will have to use the master bus to squash the living hell out of things, which can easily muddy the mix up. Add a bit of compression on drum bus, and maybe even a bit on individual tracks. Better to have many workers hardly working than one working hard, in this case.

Attack/Release settings are also very important. Too slow of an attack doesn't help balance the mix, but too fast removes the transients. Too slow of a release just ends up generating pretty much the same amount of gain reduction during the entire piece, and is not really doing much. Be careful with these, especially on the master bus.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
They're honestly not limiting it that hard, most of it looks and sounds like clever bus compression, and possibly a multiband on the master. I wouldn't use vintagewarmer in conjunction with a limiter, as (from what i googled) vintage warmer is already a compressor/limiter.

In short, you're limiting too much. but it's hard to tell without actually hearing your track.
Yeah +1. Although sometimes you can't tell what happens to an mp3 in the upload and stream processes, the example track doesn't sound overloud at all.

------------------
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Personally, I belong to the school of thought in which mastering your own tracks is a waste of time. Getting an extra pair of ears in the final stages of finishing a track is definitely helpful, especially considering how blind you can get to small issues after having them ingrained in your memory.

That being said, you want to have proper gainstaging before going to mastering. Mastering will even out the levels of your tracks a fair bit. Feel free to exaggerate the differences in levels between things such as pads (Can be really low.) and drums. (Should be quite high.)

In addition, you cannot expect to do everything in the mastering stage. That's just not going to fly. If you have no compression/limiting going on before it, you will have to use the master bus to squash the living hell out of things, which can easily muddy the mix up. Add a bit of compression on drum bus, and maybe even a bit on individual tracks. Better to have many workers hardly working than one working hard, in this case.

Attack/Release settings are also very important. Too slow of an attack doesn't help balance the mix, but too fast removes the transients. Too slow of a release just ends up generating pretty much the same amount of gain reduction during the entire piece, and is not really doing much. Be careful with these, especially on the master bus.
From a certain angle, I want to disagree with this strongly. An ideal master, even when trying to achieve hyper-loudness, should be as transparent as possible. I know it's becoming standard practice but adjusting a mix to be less than ideal because you're trying to guess the compensation needed for when the mastering engineer brickwalls the devil out of the track is totally ludicrous IMO. I do understand that french thing of mixing the drums much loudness than everything else to achieve that certain sound when a limiter is applied to the master, but I think this should be considered part of the mixing process even though the master is getting limited as it strongly pertains to the core sound. In this day and age of technology where you can send a premaster back and forth online in seconds, there is no reason a mastering engineer should try to fix or correct things that can be done in the mixing stage. The drastic changes in the mastering stage ideally should be applied when getting two tracks on the same album sorted out with each other (and IMO the true wizardry skill of mastering), not when applying things to one individual track.

On a tangent, I strongly believe most of these online mastering houses offering to master INDIVIDUAL tracks are just scams, even if they don't realize it themselves.

------------------
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
From a certain angle, I want to disagree with this strongly. An ideal master, even when trying to achieve hyper-loudness, should be as transparent as possible.
Transparent, yes. We're talking about ideal masters, here. Things that cost a good fortune. For the rest of us, including the OP, there's the dilemma where we have to choose between loudness and transparency. And, you know, if you choose the latter, no one gives two craps about your music.

Quote:
I know it's becoming standard practice but adjusting a mix to be less than ideal because you're trying to guess the compensation needed for when the mastering engineer brickwalls the devil out of the track is totally ludicrous IMO.
He talked about mastering himself, though. Besides, my personal opinion is that trying to go for loudness as a primary goal is ludicrous. Even then, people have a high tendency to skip tracks that are not compressed when listening to their iPads. Then there's the fact that most music is listened in the background, when people cannot pay attention to it, and having actual dynamics in the song tends to just annoy them.

Quote:
I do understand that french thing of mixing the drums much loudness than everything else to achieve that certain sound when a limiter is applied to the master, but I think this should be considered part of the mixing process even though the master is getting limited as it strongly pertains to the core sound.
You could just slam a limiter on 2-bus before sending it to mastering. Becoming pretty much common practice these days. That, and pisses off some mastering engineers really well. Use at your own risk.

Quote:
In this day and age of technology where you can send a premaster back and forth online in seconds, there is no reason a mastering engineer should try to fix or correct things that can be done in the mixing stage.
But if you can fix everything in the mixing stage, you do not need mastering at all.

Besides, the point is that the mixing engineer might not perceive the same thing as a mistake as the mastering engineer would. Two different people can come into wildly different conclusions when presented the same set of data.

Quote:
The drastic changes in the mastering stage ideally should be applied when getting two tracks on the same album sorted out with each other (and IMO the true wizardry skill of mastering), not when applying things to one individual track.

>2012

>Releasing albums

You're years late.

Quote:
On a tangent, I strongly believe most of these online mastering houses offering to master INDIVIDUAL tracks are just scams, even if they don't realize it themselves.
This is possible, but some of them working in the pop world are scamming $5,000 dollars/master, so there's still a fair bit of respect due for pulling that off, if it is the case.

------------------
Thanks to Blingley
Son of Akira (13-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Lallo
Granular Poster

I'm sorry that I cant provide you with a sample and I understand its hard to give me the best advice without hearing the track. But I cant really understand, when using compression on individual sounds, do want any other attack ms than 0? (or the closest to 0 my compressor allows).

The only times I see the use of longer attack ms is when I want punch in a kick or maybe piano , but most of the time -->I want to catch the transients so I can lower them and then increase the overall volume right?<---

On mastering compression I use about 30ms of attack to let transients through tho, because it's not an individual channel. However, I dont really understand what I'm doing at that point? At the drop of my track, the compressor is almost not moving (only in the breaks or intro and outro) and if I squeeze the sustain of my sounds, how will that improve the volume? I still got these transient peaks so squeezing the sustain, wouldnt it just decrease the volume then?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
oly
IDMf Artist
oly is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MC
socialism twitter
MC Status: 471672651
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
>2012
>Releasing albums
You're years late.
Doooouuucheeeeebaaaaaaaagggg

Maybe in shitty pop circles this is true, but in shitty pop circles this has always been true.

Plenty of artists who are actually artists and not just manufacturers of a productstill care about and release albums. And plenty of people still prefer to buy a whole album. I'm one.

------------------
oly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyt wembpang View Post
And plenty of people still prefer to buy a whole album. I'm one.
>2012
>Buying music

You're years late, too.

I just had to.

------------------
Thanks to Blingley
oly (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
oly
IDMf Artist
oly is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MC
socialism twitter
MC Status: 471672651
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
>2012
>Buying music
You're years late, too.

I just had to.
Touche. OR SHOULD I SAY TOOSHAY.

(no, i shouldn't)

Advertisements

------------------
oly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote