Need some kind of sample library, but kind of compact
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Takeshi&TheKid
Granular Poster
Takeshi&TheKid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Need some kind of sample library, but kind of compact

I'm looking at things like Kontakt 4 which take up 40+ gigs and that sort of thing is not going to fit on my laptop.

I'd basically like some decent Orchestral samples, piano, drum samples(especially hip hop/trip hop kinda drums), etc. I used a bunch of soundfonts when I used to use Fruity Loops, and there were some cool sounds there. I don't mind if they're not 99.9% realistic as I don't think that's attainable without a lot of headache inducing programming anyway.

I have E-Mu Planet Earth on a CD somewhere I got with an MIDI controller, I remember wanting the module of that for years, but I can't find it. But that was of a pretty reasonable size.

Any suggestions? Anything cheap/free would be preferable. I'm pretty oldschool so I'll even work with soundfonts(actually, a lot of my music was made in trackers, which is even worse again). Again I want decent quality stuff but not necessarily pro grade as I'm not scoring movies.

Advertisements

------------------
Takeshi&TheKid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Takeshi&TheKid
Granular Poster
Re: Need some kind of sample library, but kind of compact

?

------------------
Old 16-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

let me google that...
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Takeshi&TheKid
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
let me google that...
That's really not helpful. There's a lot of different packs to choose from and it's hard to divine exactly what I'm looking for.

------------------
Old 17-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

Sampled instruments kind of are the size they are... they're uncompressed wavs, it doesn't have a lot to do with how realistic they are. And they're pretty much never free because they're hard to produce.

It sounds like what you actually want is orchestral loops and drum one-shots.
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Takeshi&TheKid
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyetooth View Post
Sampled instruments kind of are the size they are... they're uncompressed wavs, it doesn't have a lot to do with how realistic they are. And they're pretty much never free because they're hard to produce.

It sounds like what you actually want is orchestral loops and drum one-shots.
It depends on the quality of the samples though. For example I have little use for 96khz 24 samples. 41khz 16 bit would be fine, in my view you won't notice it in a mix, not the kind I'm making anyway. Depends how they're compressed too(wav vs. archived wav. vs. flac), how many of them there are, length of loops, levels of velocity, how much is done by synthesis/algorithms vs. samples (such as blending/fading in a looped clip rather than letting it fully ring out) etc.

------------------
Old 19-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 3060

There's some good all-around sounds on Rhythm-Lab website, all free:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also, there's Sonatina Symphonic Orchestral, a totally free orchestral set available in sfz format (you can easily find a free VST player, like Shortcircuit for instance, that can play that format):

If you're still missing sounds, I'd buy a cheap (15$) soundlib on the Electronisounds website:

For instance, I use a lot Beyond Gravity, Poison Sounds & Supreme Sounds.

Good luck!

Advertisements

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote