(Drum n Bass) - Brubeck in orange. Signal Jacker.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 23-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510
(Drum n Bass) - Brubeck in orange. Signal Jacker.

Another out there Brubeck piece.

Advertisements

------------------
Richard Travers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - (Drum n Bass) - Brubeck in orange. Signal Jacker..
Old 24-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Kaiuna
Granular Poster
Kaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud of
B.C.
MC Status: 1387
Re: (Drum n Bass) - Brubeck in orange. Signal Jacker.

I'm always a big fan of trying things in odd/compound time signatures. The 9/8 rhythm and faster tempo really grabbed my attention as it enabled you to play with some unconventional DnB drum beats. I really like the woodwinds and all of the drills you've sprinkled throughout.

I might consider placing some effects on the drums during fills, breaks, builds, etc. but it's also not necessary. I also really like the percussion hits that are washed in reverb (they play for the first time around 0:35). I would like to hear those a bit higher in the mix.

The chime/bells that come in at 4:30 are awesome! Actually everything about that section is dope.

The vocal sample about is hilarious. "I was pretty jacked up on marijuana" The placement is perfect and I think it really compliments the lighthearted feeling of the track.

Good job dude. Lovin' it!
Kaiuna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant futureRichard Travers has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510
Re: (Drum n Bass) - Brubeck in orange. Signal Jacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiuna View Post
I'm always a big fan of trying things in odd/compound time signatures. The 9/8 rhythm and faster tempo really grabbed my attention as it enabled you to play with some unconventional DnB drum beats. I really like the woodwinds and all of the drills you've sprinkled throughout.

I might consider placing some effects on the drums during fills, breaks, builds, etc. but it's also not necessary. I also really like the percussion hits that are washed in reverb (they play for the first time around 0:35). I would like to hear those a bit higher in the mix.

The chime/bells that come in at 4:30 are awesome! Actually everything about that section is dope.

The vocal sample about is hilarious. "I was pretty jacked up on marijuana" The placement is perfect and I think it really compliments the lighthearted feeling of the track.

Good job dude. Lovin' it!
Kaiuna thanks man!! You absoulutly nailed everything I feel about the track, from the time signature to the percussion and even the bells and vocal sample, you really know your stuff , I'm very impressed, thank you so much! I am especially glad you noted the extra intricacy of the drum breaks, at first I wasn't even sure I could pull them off, but after about an hour of experimentation with the project set at 9/8 and 197 bpm I eventually got the breaks rolling well. The bells and many of the percussion samples are taken from Neil Ardley's Harmony of the spheres, it's very samplable and his psychodelic 70's Jazz style compliments the Brubeck sections really well, as I also found with my last track also (Break Five) again fusing Brubeck and Ardley. I am also now a fan of working in unusual time signatures, though it's pretty new to me, I am hoping to put enough material together using non 4/4 time signatures to complete an album, I never want to go back to plane old 4/4 hehe, I'm hooked.

Advertisements

------------------
Richard Travers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote