Organising a small space for music + practical tips for facilitating music making
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660
Organising a small space for music + practical tips for facilitating music making

I thought it might be useful to create a thread about the slightly boring but important topic of ways or tips for organising and keeping the studio tidy Also part of this topic is practical tasks and things to do to facilitate music making.

So the basis for this is that I currently do not have a lot of time or space in the home to make music. I have a desk which doubles for life and other work. Because I do not have a lot of time, I find that setting up and taking down my (modest amount) of midi gear, external hard-drives, pre-amps, etc is sometimes too exhausting at the end of a day and thus less music is happening. I usually enjoy having cables everywhere, but now every extra cable that has to be coiled and put away reduces the chance of making music. Unfortunate, but that is life right now.

I am wondering about other people's experience on this and related barriers to music making, and what might be done to reduce this.

Some questions that I have for the forum are:
  1. If you have a similar situation, are there practical ways that you have found to facilitate more music making? Reducing busy hours and getting a new space is not possible right now.
  2. Are there any cheap studio organising tricks that you have found invaluable?
  3. Are there any cheap and easy modifications to object or DIY construction that has helped you to organise your studio? I am thinking of things a bit like the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Myself, I store my cables and some gear in rubber-maid tubs in a closet. This at least keeps things together.

I also keep wondering about the sanity of building a custom rack/case to carry and position my gear so that I could simply have the setup, plug one power cord and a couple usbs and be happily making music.

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Organising a small space for music + practical tips for facilitating music making

Hang shit
Don't forget about floor space
Use tubs for additional things that you don't want to hang (check)
If all else fails, downsize
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
TL072 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552480
Thanked 7,231 Times in 5,119 Posts
Re: Organising a small space for music + practical tips for facilitating music making

Sorry man, I have no generic advice. If I were actually in the space with you and your stuff I feel like I could help you tuck some of it away. Have you considered maybe screwing some kind of "shelf" under the desk where you could permanently keep your HDs on hand and maybe your preamp?

Studio organization is a nightmare. And cabling is the work of Satan himself.

Oh! Give us pictures : ) Maybe that would help us!
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
TL072 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744036841
Thanked 7,388 Times in 4,582 Posts

Wireless MIDI?

Make all your music on a laptop/tablet instead?

Get a patch bay which will allow you to leave your stuff out of the way but plugged in. Patch your stuff together as and when required.

Get some kind of rackmount or hardcase which you can leave all your stuff in & wired up like you would if you were going to play live. When you want to do music grab this one case, open it, plug in to wall and it's ready to go.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 18360

Have you considered a desktop shelf?
Something like this (Quick google image search):

?

That would kind of double your desktop space - You could place screen/Laptop on top, as well as preamp/audio interface, MIDI controllers, synths beneath.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
TL072 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 167660
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,008 Posts

Milk crates FTW
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960

this thread is relevant to my interests. my room is a clusterfuck for now i can't even do a proper 360 on my chair without hitting my bed or the synths stand. on the top of all the width and height are equal :mayonesa:
i can manage but it's far from optimal, both in terms of sound and functionality.
fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

So thank you for your various replies. I had really not thought of hanging things, and it may be possible -- will have to give it a think. Nice one with the milk crates!

It has been particularly helpful simply to have the keywords to search Google. "desktop shelf" has brought up a lot of different objects that might be useful. Similarly, I am familiar with the concept of patchbays, but I did not know that name.

I keep thinking that someone must have solved the cable problem.

These things are almost right:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But, a bit too large.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will give it a think and post if I come up with anything.

Also, I keep suggestions coming. I am sure there are some hilarious and interesting things that can be done to improve music making spaces.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO

Well call me an idiot. I guess I should have known:

At least some of that looks like a useful kit. At least for $5.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: "cable management" is the keyword you and I were looking for apparently:

Last edited by TL072; 08-03-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Thanks to TL072
Muse-ic (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post

and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I use these:

I like how you can re-position if necessary.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Numerical (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 AM   #11
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post

can't cable manage i move my synths around all the time.

and wires all around the place is an aesthetic i don't dislike lelz
fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:06 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945881
Thanked 5,754 Times in 3,617 Posts

Do what you can bruh. I know them feels. Be inventive.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 18360

You could also put together your own desktop shelf very easily. Advantage would be that it would perfectly fit your desk. That's how I did.

Advertisements

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote