Kick volume the same through whole track?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 503
Kick volume the same through whole track?

Should the kick volume be the same through the whole track when making house music? I know there is no rule blablabla but I want to get some tips because I automate some other instruments like percussion and some melodies etc... and ofc I automate the volume of the kick if I want is as an effect but I don't really understand what then happens when u master a track?

Advertisements

Lallo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648
Re: Kick volume the same through whole track?

I'd automate the eq so you can highpass it on pieces but Im not sure about automating volume levels tbh, I haven't heard it done much
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 503

I also automate highpass filter for intro example... I was just asking because then it's easier to mix all the other instruments after the kick if it's consistent volume through the track...
Lallo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
jdoost123
Analog Lurker
jdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MC
MC Status: 135045

If you want the kick to punch through the mix for the entire track, I find sidechaining the kick to the overall mix keeps it solid and constant, only a small amount of sidechain but.
jdoost123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Owen De-Vice
Ghostly
Owen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MC
West Midlands
MC Status: 17132199

i keep it the same

as u said maybe edit freq in into but through track always pumping
Owen De-Vice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Of course it really depends about whether you want the kick drum to sound the same or have some variation to it. In general however, I would say that bass drum driven 4/4 music such as house usually has a rather static kick drum. It's usually driving the whole track so it might benefit to have it constant. It's probably a psychologic thing why it should be constant, but I think it just sounds logical for that type of dance music.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
stonewillis
Minor Glitch
stonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MCstonewillis is a savage MC
Annecy
MC Status: 19690

Automating a gate is also cool !
stonewillis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
sane
Regular Freak
sane will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

i think its the same volume on most tracks, but as you said there's no rules, i used to use slight variations of loud softer loud softer to try making 4/4 drumtracks a little more dynamic but to me it usually sounds better one single, solid volume
sane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Dirty Fresh
Regular Freak
Dirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MCDirty Fresh is a savage MC
MC Status: 171721

It kind of depends on what section of the song you are working on. The kick being consistent is always a good thing, but sometimes the variation of the kick can call attention on itself; which you can use to your advantage. Using the volume or maybe a HPF can help you "build up" energy and vice versa if used the opposite. Id say keep the kick consistent until you come across a section of the song that requires you to "notice" that the kick has changed.
Dirty Fresh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947481
Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank^ View Post
Of course it really depends about whether you want the kick drum to sound the same or have some variation to it. In general however, I would say that bass drum driven 4/4 music such as house usually has a rather static kick drum. It's usually driving the whole track so it might benefit to have it constant. It's probably a psychologic thing why it should be constant, but I think it just sounds logical for that type of dance music.
Pretty much this unless you have certain sections where the mix warrants a different sounding kick, or maybe a washed out high passed part as an effect. With other types of music I would assume it's more common to automate the kick. I know the snare and vocals are pretty much always automated in certain genres.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

You can also keep the main kick static but automate the amount of parallel compression you mix in - so far sections with more bump you can bring your parallel bus up to add more body.
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

I raise the volume of the kick sometimes in breaks, and change filter settings according to the feel of the song.

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Timmy Crowne
Learning The Ropes
Timmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MCTimmy Crowne is a savage MC
MC Status: 19030

Usually the kick is the same relative volume throughout, but sometimes producers will raise the volume of the entire mix during the chorus, which would raise the volume of kick obviously. I like to high-pass the entire drum mix just before a drop, but I keep its mixer level consistent.

Advertisements

Timmy Crowne is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote