MPC Live/X
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269467508
Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,907 Posts
MPC Live/X

So, role call, how many of us have gotten or are considering the MPC X/Live?
What are your thoughts so far?

It took me a bit to get into the flow and understand how it's meant to work, but now I'm really happy with it and I realised that apart from a couple of things, it is a great machine.

Reverb could be better (I gave up on it and when I need reverb I run the audio out, resample the wet reverb and mix it in with the original sound), automation editing is completely missing and clips as they are now are worthless, but I think we finally clicked and I can say I finally understand the MPC feeling.

I tried the software and gave up on it in 15 minutes, it's not bad, but I moved away from Maschine as it was tethered and made me think like I was using a computer, so I consider this a full standalone instrument.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 57010
Thanked 1,140 Times in 843 Posts
Re: MPC Live/X

I'm still a bit conflicted. As a standalone unit I feel it's uninspiring and a complete failure. The lack of modulation sources and mediocre effects really limit me. It made me realize just how much I rely on FX.
As of recent I have used it more and more to record my hardware rig, especially using the loop recorder. As a straight up looper/sampler it excels.

Using it as a MIDI controller is still on my to do list, as is resampling in controller mode.

I'd be much happier with it if the FX didn't suck.

Also, the OS is still buggy. Occasional disk eject error messages where it just loses connection to the internal SSD or it crashes on powering down. I feel this unit should be more fun to play with, but it just isn't for me.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
lonewolf
Sample Destroyer
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 129804

Ive got the MPC X and had a look at the browsing filters for the effects and one of the sub categories was "manufacturer"....however there was only Akai listed but I assume there maybe plugins to made available in the future much like vst's etc

------------------
An open mind sees the world reflected within them, but a closed mind looks for the world to be their reflection. - Brian Winkler

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James D
lonewolf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269467508
Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,907 Posts

I wish, at the moment the manufacturer filters work in controller mode. But fuck controller mode, I bought it for standalone.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 29210

I have one and honestly haven’t used it at all yet. Because I’ve been busy on something I’ve been doing mostly with push and want to finish that up before I reorganize my setup.
I fully expect it to be as my 1000 was, but updated in its interface.
Ie easy as pie to sample, great for layering samples, for key groups and simple linear sequencing.
But if I want crazy octatrack stuff, which is what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
seems to be gripping about, I don’t expect it to do that.
Has anyone had timing issues with their mpc live or x? Ie midi sync? Or is that a gs rumour?
Also any glitches besides liquid? And @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, what firmware are you on?

Advertisements

jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote