The off topic thread - Page 1368
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old Today, 05:05 PM   #27341
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743823541
Thanked 3,122 Times in 2,156 Posts
Re: The off topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Jump to the part about self delusion.
Got an approx time?

Advertisements

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #27342
thom
Digital Surfer
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 15410

Gnnhh.... I heard it one the radio and my phone won't let me play it to check.

He was the last guest I think.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (Today)
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #27343
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

OK approx 25 mins in.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
thom (Today)
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #27344
lolirl

Oh ok, Dunning/Krueger effect, yeah, I'm aware of that already.

------------------
Old Today, 06:23 PM   #27345
Lug
Savage Sad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80863880
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I just "discovered" Alain de Botton recently and thought he was a glimmer of hope and it should probably be him that lefties get behind instead of Russell Brand and maybe that's why these videos are so succinct?
I'm guessing they want to draw in people who get bored easily with such serious subjects?
So yeah, I wanted to know a bit more about philosophy and ended up at his youtube site.
His School of Life seems like a nice idea (and good earner for him, not that he probably needs it) but yeah, it comes across as a bit twee and unrealistic, sure.
tbh the only philosophy I ever really got into is epistemology.
The discipline today doesn't feel very relevant wih all the discoveries that are made in cognitive and social psychology.
Philosophy sometimes seems to be confused with some sort of life coaching. Tons of "how to" books are sold about "making it and being a good person". It's not only in philosophy, either. This approach seems to creep in a lot of sciences for popularization purposes. Like you said, they want to appeal to people who want answers, quick summaries, something to rule their life, kind of.

the way they taught us philosophy in high school was to read excerpts of texts from two or three authors on a same subject (e.g. nature vs nurture) and then ask a question and our only task was to consider the question from the point of view of each author. I feel it's a proper way to approach it because then you can take an element of your own life and try to make the connection, see what it implies. Maybe make your own theory.

Then again, if it's either this or Russel Brand hahaha I guess it's all right

What do you mean when you say you wanted to know "a little bit about philosophy"?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 PM   #27346
lolirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post

What do you mean when you say you wanted to know "a little bit about philosophy"?
Well it's a subject that gets referenced all the time and you're supposed to know about and yet it's not something I've ever had any formal introduction to or read about. So I just wanted to get the jist of what the big thinkers in history have come up with and see how I've faired myself.

This is going to sound really arrogant but most of it just seemed like common sense (logic) to me, and I'm glad to say that most of the major themes have come to me of my own thought at some point along the way. (Dunning-Krueger anyone)
Although perhaps it's more an indicator of just how much these ideas have permeated and penetrated western thought, and I just regurgitated something from my subconscious, who knows?

------------------
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #27347
Lug
Savage Sad Cunt
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
This is going to sound really arrogant but most of it just seemed like common sense (logic) to me, and I'm glad to say that most of the major themes have come to me of my own thought at some point along the way. (Dunning-Krueger anyone)
Although perhaps it's more an indicator of just how much these ideas have permeated and penetrated western thought, and I just regurgitated something from my subconscious, who knows?
but you can't agree with every writer either?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #27348
lolirl

I don't necessarily agree, it's just that a lot of these philosophies had occurred to me (seemingly independently) at some point in my life too.

------------------
Old Today, 07:22 PM   #27349
Lug
Savage Sad Cunt

well the idea of it was to sit down and discuss stuff that people struggle to live with or understand like death, purpose of life, love, art, consciousness; I guess we all discuss these topics at some point of our lives and that's even the reason why they're discussed in philosophy. Of course they're part of our everyday life and you can find hints of how we deal with it in the news, in political statements, in everyday experience.
You can definitely form a solid open-minded opinion on these subjects without ever reading about philosophy. People around idmf are already very well-worded and have elaborate thoughts about most subjects; you've watched TED lectures.. hell, even stand-up comedy has parts that would reflect some sort of philosophy. I mean, you're a human being, you have a brain, you make connections, you create links between experiences, that's what we do.

Still, when you read stuff like what Bergson wrote about art; what an artist does and what is the purpose of art.. you barely believe people are still confident with "art is meant to be beautiful" as an opinion.

Last edited by Lug; Today at 07:27 PM..

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old Today, 07:26 PM   #27350
thom
Digital Surfer
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 15410

Food for thought:

Shit from thought.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #27351
lolirl

Another dude I know nothing about.
Maybe art was meant to be beautiful at one point? But it certainly doesn't have to be any more.

I dunno, it would be silly to go and read a few lines about this dude on wiki and form any overall judgement, but cheers for letting me know about him.

------------------
Old Today, 07:39 PM   #27352
ms_
Savage Mad Cunt
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 45710

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------

tuts || sc || bc || hr.at || l.fm

ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Lug (Today)
Old Today, 07:43 PM   #27353
Lug
Savage Sad Cunt

art is a convenient subject for philosophy because the way you think about it has a direct impact on how you do it. And art tends to be less commonly discussed in everyday life. Except when some guy plants a huge butt plug on a public place or hangs a white canvas in a museum or sits at a piano and does nothing for four minutes and thirty three seconds. Someone says what he thinks is right and should be done, another says he disagrees, and then a week later nobody cares anymore.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
lolirl (Today)
Old Today, 07:45 PM   #27354
Lug
Savage Sad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
shit that's horrible. It looks like some sort of experiment on how can we get an animal to be obese too
that look on its face. You can imagine the guy taking the picture going "holy shit did we make that monkey obese"

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
deadmau7 (Today)
Old Today, 08:38 PM   #27355
ab
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46042564

i got fucking lost again in wittgenstein's tractatus logicophilosophicus (the russell abridged version)

so full of flaws, syntactical hiccups, and yet it gives me brain boners

Advertisements

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

The off topic thread Tags
off topic, softcore slowdance