Mastering - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 17-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #181
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066
Re: Mastering

Most importantly get a preview master, then you can find out whether someone is good or bad, lol.

Serious question...Vakama, considering you have worked with some of the biggest names in dance music why does you name Conor Dalton not appear on Discogs, related to any of those musicians ?

Neither does your website mention your high end reference grade monitoring or show any pictures of high end mastering equipment. How come ?

SafeandSound Mastering
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by SafeandSound; 17-11-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Advertisements

SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #182
The Hardshutter
Learning The Ropes
The Hardshutter is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySE View Post
and also very important: always compare to tracks you like during mixing, to prevent you from going in a wrong direction.. the ear is getting used to what it hears and after hearing a shitty mix for 2 hours you will like it
yeah here u right...

also one of the mastering engineer from T-Racks said: " if u want your track to sound clear and with a great harmony before mastering try to listen it at 5-10% volume with your headsets and if u hear all sounds like it use to be then is ready for mastering" . i think this is a gd tip....
The Hardshutter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #183
dcfac73
Minor Glitch
dcfac73 is currently spamming hard
Sydney

Here is an interesting article on the Resident Advisor site. Thomas Penton (quite a well known techno/trance artist) is interviewd on the subject of loudness. It has a little bit on mastering. A lot of the advice he gives goes against the notion that the quest for "loudness" in music (dance music at least) is a bad thing.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
dcfac73 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #184
Gerbus
Learning The Ropes
Gerbus is currently spamming hard
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrw View Post
this is where I disagree.
and once again, I say that it's not good to have someone else shaping your sound.

mastering to me is like saying an artist cannot have a gallery show unless the curator comes over and adds paint to the canvas and "brings out" what the artist meant to say.
Funny thing is, the curator is absolutely in charge of the lighting in a gallery, and that totally impacts what stands out to people as they view.

Last edited by Gerbus; 29-01-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Gerbus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #185
fpb221985
Granular Poster
fpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MC
MC Status: 23278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko Neko View Post
So whats everyone's view on mastering?
That's like asking a carpenter how to hammer a nail. Use you're ears. Every mix down is different.

------------------
-Frank
fpb221985 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #186
fpb221985
Granular Poster
fpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MCfpb221985 is a savage MC
MC Status: 23278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die theory View Post
it's nice to have friends that graduated from full sail, everyone should have atleast one.
LMAO!

<Is graduating from Full Sail and is still useless.

------------------
-Frank
fpb221985 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #187
btoyl
Learning The Ropes
btoyl is currently spamming hard

is izotope even any good to master on?
btoyl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #188
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoyl View Post
is izotope even any good to master on?
Izotope is a good tool. But it's only as good as you are to mastering. Note also that it can't solve your monitoring problems if any.

------------------

MaximalSound.com__Online Mastering Service
Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #189
Centrala
Learning The Ropes
Centrala is currently spamming hard

Hi Guys! Actually I'm looking for a good musician/band who's interested in uncommon mixing/producing.

As an engineer/producer I work in my own studio, Centrala. To be honest, my service isn't for everyone, as my main focus is alternative music. From offbeat country, psychobilly, Caucasian free jazz, through punk, post-rock, noise, to rap, glitch-hop, techno, and ambient.

I'm a member of avantgarde electronic band called kIRk.

Shout me!
Centrala is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #190
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrala View Post
Caucasian free jazz
WTF?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #191
eden.deeply
Learning The Ropes
eden.deeply is currently spamming hard
Salzburg

I agree to your article. Ive tried to improve my mixdown/mastering for one year. And one thing is real - i know my tracks now and ive started to rework them. But the main problem with my music is, that i use a lot of different reverbs & delays (i like it spiral and hypnotic). And i dont get it cleaner at the mastering process. And the problem is, that i cant bring the sounds backwards, because the have yet delay on it.
If you have a tipp for me please post.

Thanx & Deep Greets
eden.deeply is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #192
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 503

Can you master directly in the mixdown project without bouncing the track? Just adding the master chain on you master bus? same results?
Lallo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #193
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

Technically, the result will be the same. BUT the difference is how you mix. Because the mastering is constantly adjusting what you're listening, mixing becomes very difficult. Every time i've tried this solution, i spent much more time to obtain an average quality.
I really prefer the 2 steps workflow.

------------------

MaximalSound.com__Online Mastering Service
Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #194
johngreen
Learning The Ropes
johngreen is currently spamming hard
Tallinn

I've tried doing mastering in the mixdown project. For me the biggest difference was that
once in the process of mastering, I got tempted to readjust the mix,
instead of focusing on the mastering and listening to the changes that happened due to the adjustment of mastering settings. Therefore, I also prefer the 2 steps workflow. Nevertheless, mastering directly in the mix project should give the same results as mastering the mixdown in a separate project.
johngreen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #195
kateak
Minor Glitch
kateak is currently spamming hard
London

My final solution has been to set up a studio where I can record, arrange, mix and master at the same time, so that i can get an idea of the final result straight. I mix with a thermionic culture fat bustard valve summing mixer (i can switch the bass to mono there and it also has a stereo spread filter and an EQ where you can boost 50hz or 10k) and then go into my analog mastering chain which is for the moment
-phoenix comp
-api 5500 eq
-massenburg eq
-maselec limiter - de esser

then I riconvert with a cranesong hedd (it has very nice mastering features such as tape emulation) This way i can both monitor my mix and the final master (through a mastering controller).
I finally found out how to make each track I make sound exactly as I want. will try to post some videos soon.
k

------------------
kateak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #196
nick-yan
Minor Glitch
nick-yan is currently spamming hard
The Hague

SSL master compressor en the aphex are some very famous things i like.i only use them as plugin but it's nice
nick-yan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #197
MichaelBishop
Learning The Ropes
MichaelBishop is currently spamming hard

I actually like to Master to the Master track, rather than just a stereo mix. That way if I need to fix an instrument in the mix, I can just go right in and fix it.
MichaelBishop is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #198
collinbrave
Learning The Ropes
collinbrave is currently spamming hard

i like it .Quality beat rap and hip hop instrumental beat
collinbrave is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #199
fluent2332
Soundwave Mangler
fluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I master everything inside my Roland MV-8800. That machine is a life saver. I actually just use the mastering presets but they are very useful. For example, the "cassette tape" mastering preset is awesome. You get very deep multi-band compression that I think sounds great on a final mix. I don't go for a pristine sound myself so I'm able to master my own tracks and be happy with the end result. The end result is the tracks sound pretty good!
fluent2332 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: George Marauder - The C64 Sessions
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #200
nick-yan
Minor Glitch
nick-yan is currently spamming hard
The Hague

i do it my self and sometimes when i got a bigger release i let it be done

Advertisements

nick-yan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote