IDMF Space Program - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 24-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #141
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts
Re: IDMF Space Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
Thanks for this Had no idea. May go out and try to photograph it. In california it should be 11:00PM-1:00AM if i converted the time right? I dunno, i'll definitely be watching though
Well I am on Pacific time as well. I just checked the Las Vegas Astronomical Society page and they say midnight and 2:00 am. So yeah that's about right.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #142
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

actually scratch that, It's rather cloudy out haha. Unless it clears up in a couple hours then i probably won't get to see it. Fingers crossed though

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #143
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightlightSociety View Post
actually scratch that, It's rather cloudy out haha. Unless it clears up in a couple hours then i probably won't get to see it. Fingers crossed though
Ah, well this is one good thing about living in a desert. Clouds are a rare issue. Well off to get ready. Need coffee, blankets (it will be a freezing 70 ish) hahaha...

You should at least just go outside where you live and see if you can see any. If there is a meteor shower, and I don't want to make the drive, I still try and see for a little. I am obsessed, I admit it. It's because I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid, and this is the next best thing.
Old 24-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #144
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Did see one brilliant comet proper exploding in the sky, but no joy on the shower yet. Came in to get some warmer clothes on and maybe grab a coffee as well. Don't think my camera can capture anything out there though ):

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Muse-ic (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #145
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Oh boy, oh boy. Still no joy on the shower, I figure it's too bright out in terms of artificial light. Been out there for close to 4 hours and it's getting a bit too chilly out there for me, so I packed it in... BUT I did manage to see to fascinating things and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate.

First thing, could have been a bat honestly. It startled the heck out of me, seemed like a comet but it was dark, and it made an audible noise which made me jump - like a "peww".

The second thing was an object that appeared to be a star, but it seemed much closer, and it transit the sky, passing the Big Dipper and Cassiopeia. I would have dismissed it as a satellite if it didn't seem so close (and so bright!), and it's movements were almost, 'fluttery'? Really fascinating! It didn't appear to be orbiting, and faded off into the horizon.

I also got searchlighted by a passing chopper. X3

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Muse-ic (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #146
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Hah they Predator visioned ya!

I went out for a bit, didn't see nuffin.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Muse-ic (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #147
Muse-ic
Wanderer

So I'm out in the desert on the road that leads up to mt charleston. Remember what I said before, well WE HAVE CLOUDS!!!! Grrr. So it's kind of creepy, I feel like I might see an alien or serial killer hiding out...
Old 24-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #148
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
WE HAVE CLOUDS!!!!
Argh! It was clear here, but clouds are starting to roll in. Mega cold though, brrrr. Hear any strange noises?

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Muse-ic (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #149
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
Oh boy, oh boy. Still no joy on the shower, I figure it's too bright out in terms of artificial light. Been out there for close to 4 hours and it's getting a bit too chilly out there for me, so I packed it in... BUT I did manage to see to fascinating things and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate.

First thing, could have been a bat honestly. It startled the heck out of me, seemed like a comet but it was dark, and it made an audible noise which made me jump - like a "peww".

The second thing was an object that appeared to be a star, but it seemed much closer, and it transit the sky, passing the Big Dipper and Cassiopeia. I would have dismissed it as a satellite if it didn't seem so close (and so bright!), and it's movements were almost, 'fluttery'? Really fascinating! It didn't appear to be orbiting, and faded off into the horizon.

I also got searchlighted by a passing chopper. X3
I saw the same thing...something moving past the big dipper. Could it possibly be the International Space Station? It was way too high to be a plane. And it looked like a star.

So I can relate...I kept spooking myself out. And then a car turned off and started approaching me I ran to my car and locked the doors like I was in a movie.

Quote:
Argh! It was clear here, but clouds are starting to roll in. Mega cold though, brrrr. Hear any strange noises?
It was a huge land mass of clouds. They were moving and there were little peekaboo holes where I could see the stars of the Big Dipper. I was diligent watching the holes for meteors. When I thought I heard a coyote sound, quite close, I decided to head home. It was pleasant weather wise though however. I didn't even wear a jacket.

I took a pic of the Strip off to the South...

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Thanks to Muse-ic
PROton42 (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #150
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Quote:
I saw the same thing...something moving past the big dipper. Could it possibly be the International Space Station? It was way too high to be a plane. And it looked like a star.
Good call! Could have been, I didn't have the sense to check the ISS positioning afterwards because it didn't even occur to me, but as it drifted into the horizon it did begin to 'bob' - or 'flutter' as I said earlier - which really caught me off guard. Glad you caught it as well! Sucks about the overcast there, it's now pretty overcast here as well so I packed it in just in time.

Also, yeah spooking ourselves out! I was getting some intense sense of vertigo looking up at the sky tonight, haven't stargazed in a long while though.

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Muse-ic (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #151
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
Good call! Could have been, I didn't have the sense to check the ISS positioning afterwards because it didn't even occur to me, but as it drifted into the horizon it did begin to 'bob' - or 'flutter' as I said earlier - which really caught me off guard. Glad you caught it as well! Sucks about the overcast there, it's now pretty overcast here as well so I packed it in just in time.

Also, yeah spooking ourselves out! I was getting some intense sense of vertigo looking up at the sky tonight, haven't stargazed in a long while though.
Cool website, it looks like it was "sunlit" and went over both our locations, so maybe?
Yeah, I was not expecting clouds. It's okay though, still enjoy a late night adventure.

Someone in the world saw something at least.

Code:
Thanks to Muse-ic
PROton42 (24-05-2014)
Old 24-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #152
NightlightSociety
Master of the LFO
NightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond reputeNightlightSociety has a reputation beyond repute
Bay Area
MC Status: 2910

Quote:
Cool website, it looks like it was "sunlit" and went over both our locations, so maybe?
Yeah, I was not expecting clouds. It's okay though, still enjoy a late night adventure.

Someone in the world saw something at least.

Code:
Haha, nice way to look at it. I didn't see a single thing haha, It was really overcasty, no holes in these clouds, they didn't go away either. Infact it's still cloudy this morning. As much as i love the cloudy weather, it sucks i didnt see anything cause of it last night.

------------------
NightlightSociety is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NightlightSociety
Muse-ic (25-05-2014)
Old 21-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #153
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Scientists Have Simulated Time Travel With Photons

Code:
"Using a photon, physicists have managed to simulate quantum particles traveling through time. Studying the photon’s behavior could help scientists understand some inexplicable aspects of modern physics."

"Pictured above, a space-time structure exhibiting closed paths in space (horizontal) and time (vertical). A quantum particle travels through a wormhole back in time and returns to the same location in space and time.

"The properties of quantum particles are 'fuzzy' or uncertain to start with, so this gives them enough wiggle room to avoid inconsistent time travel situations," UQ’s Tim Ralph explains. "Our study provides insights into where and how nature might behave differently from what our theories predict." These include the violation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, cracking of quantum cryptography, and perfect cloning of quantum states. "

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/sc...travel-photons

Last edited by Muse-ic; 21-06-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #154
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #155
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329125300
Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,170 Posts

So what the fuck? where are the designs for the idmf space explorer?
i been looking tonight for the meteor showers aint seen shit.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #156
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Dang I am off my game, I should have had the plans up a week ago! The peak isn't until August 10-13 so that may be why you are not seeing anything. Also full moon tonight. I am going to go out on Saturday and Sunday night to catch it.

Code:
"The Perseid meteor shower, one of the brighter meteor showers of the year, occur every August, peaking around August 9-13. Consisting of tiny space debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle, the Perseids are named after the constellation, Perseus. This is because, their radiant or the direction of which the shower seems to come from lies in the same direction as Perseus. The constellation lies in the north-eastern part of the sky.

While the skies light up several time a year by other meteor showers , the Perseids are widely sought after by astronomers and stargazers alike. This is because at its peak, one can view 60 to a 100 meteors in an hour from a dark place."

Where to view
The Perseids can be viewed by observers in the Northern Hemisphere. If you are planning to view the shower, look between the radiant, which will be in the north-east part of the sky and the zenith (the point in sky directly above you). But donít worry, you do not have to make any major astronomical calculations. Just lay a blanket on the ground, lie down and let your eyes wander around the sky - you will be bound to spot the shower sooner or later.

When to view
The best time to view the Perseids, or most other meteor showers is when the sky is the darkest. Most astronomers suggest that depending on the Moonís phase, the best time to view meteor showers is right before dawn.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #157
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154410
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts

Best thread ever on idmf.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
GomesR (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #158
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Supernovas May Create Weird 'Zombie Stars,' New Hubble Observations Suggest

Code:
These observations from the Hubble Space Telescope show before and after views for the supernova SN 2012Z in the outskirts of the galaxy NGC 1309, 108 million light-years from Earth. Inset: SN 2012Z is seen in 2013, while data from 2005-2006 show its perceived progenitor star pair. Image released Aug. 6, 2014.

Scientists think a kind of stellar blast, known as a Type Iasupernova, occurs when one star pours enough fuel onto a dying companion star, known as a white dwarf, to trigger an extraordinary nuclear explosion. However, researchers have never actually seen what stars actually give rise to these outbursts, thus making their origins uncertain.

"Astronomers have been searching for decades for the progenitors of type Ia's," study co-author Saurabh Jha, an astronomer at Rutgers University in Piscataway, N.J., said in a statement. "Type Ia's are important because they're used to measure vast cosmic distances and the expansion of the universe."

Weighing the Milky Way: Researchers devise precise method for calculating the mass of galaxies

Code:
Using a new measurement technique, researchers have found that the Milky Way (artist rendition on left) has half the mass of the Andromeda Galaxy (image on right).

In previous studies, researchers were only able to estimate the mass of the Milky Way and Andromeda based on observations made using their smaller satellite dwarf galaxies. In the new study, researchers culled previously published data that contained information about the distances between the Milky Way, Andromeda and other close-by galaxies -- including those that weren't satellites -- that reside in and right outside an area referred to as the Local Group.

Galaxies in the Local Group are bound together by their collective gravity. As a result, while most galaxies, including those on the outskirts of the Local Group, are moving farther apart due to expansion, the galaxies in the Local Group are moving closer together because of gravity. For the first time, researchers were able to combine the available information about gravity and expansion to complete precise calculations of the masses of both the Milky Way and Andromeda.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 09-08-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #159
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Code:
If you’re up late Sunday evening, head outside and take a look at the moon — it may look bigger and brighter than usual.

Sunday marks the second this summer of three full moons that occur on a specific portion of the moon’s orbit, earning it the nickname “Supermoon.”

According to NASA, the moon will be 14 percent closer to Earth and about 30 percent brighter than a normal full moon. The first occurrence was July 12 and the next one will be Sept. 9.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/la...s-skies-sunday
Thanks to Muse-ic
lolirl (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #160
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154410
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts

Yeah... It was very very bright.

Advertisements

thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (12-08-2014)