how to make sounds go well together when making electro/progressive House?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
rockerdude427
Microknight
rockerdude427 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
how to make sounds go well together when making electro/progressive House?

I find that when i start layering as many instruments as this guy does, the track begins to sound muddy. I'm not sure if it comes down to mixing and mastering or what... I'm talking about the drop by the way. It's a reallly sick song so even if you can't help I'd reccomend listening

Advertisements

------------------

Finally changed sig track lol
rockerdude427 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
PeterBeckhart
Radial Developer
PeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura aboutPeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura about
Orange County, CA
MC Status: 160
Re: how to make sounds go well together when making electro/progressive House?

This remix is better than the original in my opinion, great stuff.

I don't actually think there are as many different instruments as you'd think. The main synth used is pretty heavy here though. It's probably cleared up with clever use of compressing and levels of multi-band dynamics. Different panning options can really widen out s track as well.
PeterBeckhart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PeterBeckhart
rockerdude427 (19-10-2012)
Old 19-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Shaun Singh
Radial Developer
Shaun Singh will become famous soon enoughShaun Singh will become famous soon enough
London Town
MC Status: 110

Can't hear the song at work but I think it just comes down to a mixture of mixing skill and arrangement as well as using the right sounds in the first place.

When putting a song together make sure you use sounds that compliment each other as much as possible. When you are mixing use panning wisely along with reverbs etc (don't be afraid to keep certain sounds completely dry and in mono either).

------------------
Shaun Singh - Too Much - Latest one...all feedback appreciated...

Shaun Singh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
rockerdude427
Microknight
rockerdude427 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBeckhart View Post
This remix is better than the original in my opinion, great stuff.

I don't actually think there are as many different instruments as you'd think. The main synth used is pretty heavy here though. It's probably cleared up with clever use of compressing and levels of multi-band dynamics. Different panning options can really widen out s track as well.
I really appreciate the response...I'll definitely look into some tutorials on panning if there are some (youtube is awesome)! Thanks!

------------------

Finally changed sig track lol
rockerdude427 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

I used a dubstep mix of this track (can't remember if it's the original or not) in a recent mix I did for the intro track and funnily enough I also noticed with that one that the song had this duller sound to it, but figured it was largely down to the amount of frequencies involved. I do like the vocals on this one.
Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Definitely play around with EQ for mixing purposes, When you listen to a sound solo'd out it might sound fuggin' epic; but then due to the harmonics involved it can sound total shit in the context of a mix. So make sure when using EQ in a mixing situation you're attenuating absolutely everything you don't need to make the sound work for the song.

Also, play around making your synth sounds all stem form the same source via parameter adjustments/resampling. Might help
Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410

EQing and Compression (especially if you use it with taste after routing some of your tracks to busses) are key. Also good saturation plugins might help a lot to achieve that effect.

------------------
If you want to check out some of my music:

bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
AndyKneale
Sample Destroyer
AndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MCAndyKneale is a savage MC
Liverpool
MC Status: 1342085

Im sorry that song is awful. Over limited cheesy rubbish. This is production of a great electronic track. Dynamics, great sound design, feeling , emotion and danceable. You kids

------------------
AndyKneale is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
JomChoonz
Minor Glitch
JomChoonz is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Sounds go well together when they're synthesized, created relative to eachother. Starting their formation together and shaping them in reference to eachother. Sharing characteristics, complementing sounds. This advice is not genre specific. Eq is also important.
JomChoonz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926

yea aint that the beatport contest winner remix? man this song is crap, oh mainstream you ...
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Personally I like the track itself but i'm not too sure that the vocals complement it well enough in a musical sense.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
PeterBeckhart
Radial Developer
PeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura aboutPeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura about
Orange County, CA
MC Status: 160

Mainstream of not, if it sounds good ill listen to it, and I think this track is great so I appreciate it!

Advertisements

PeterBeckhart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote