Guitar/Bass Amps - roll call. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #41
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378317
Re: Guitar/Bass Amps - roll call.

I love my Tech-21 Trademark. It's a really good sounding solid state amp. For quiet home use only. All my dirt pedals sound great through the Fender channel which is important as I have dozens of fuzzes and such. Get a good full sound at comfortable level. Can't say much about it at uncomfortable levels. It doesn't go all that loud I think.

I keep considering one of those low watt tube heads like the Orange Tiny Terror. Even those are pretty loud.

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Focalized
chasedobson (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #42
jorgecurioso
Learning The Ropes
jorgecurioso will become famous soon enoughjorgecurioso will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I love my Fender DeVille 4x10, with a LP running through it. But to get serious metal tones I have to run my guitar through plugins or pedals.
jorgecurioso is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jorgecurioso
chasedobson (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #43
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
I love my Tech-21 Trademark. It's a really good sounding solid state amp. For quiet home use only. All my dirt pedals sound great through the Fender channel which is important as I have dozens of fuzzes and such. Get a good full sound at comfortable level. Can't say much about it at uncomfortable levels. It doesn't go all that loud I think.

I keep considering one of those low watt tube heads like the Orange Tiny Terror. Even those are pretty loud.

Tiny Terror is great!

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #44
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

I have a amp I got from davison guitars because it came with my electric guitar, it's a hollinger BC-08
it works great, I made a few tweaks to it and got rid of every bit of amp noise.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #45
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041041
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,627 Posts

FZ butterscotch "strat" for sale.
Want so bad.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #46
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Posting here instead of opening a new thread.
I've tried a dark terror at the shop near here and man it's so heavy!
Also tried the Jim root version and surprisingly found it a little more versatile in that it sounded better clean than the dark terror.
Sadly neither have a recording out that I could tell.
Any one know of a lunch box style amp with a recording output and similar sound to the 2 I tried?
Also I've been finding that my favourite tones I get from the sg are usin the lead pickup in double coil and tapping the rythm pickup, I am wondering if anyone tried getting a single coil pickup installed on an sg? Curious if it would be an issue due to size. Not the most mechanical person so I figured I'd ask.
Cheers
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #47
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

Here is last week's haul. Amp may look a bit dirty but I've cleaned it thoroughly inside and out as well as re-soldered some of the switches and jacks. Needs a coat of vinyl cleaner to bring out the shine.

Found the amp cheap, 75 bucks. I am already making modifications to it. It's originally open-back, I went and purchased some 1/2" birch ply and got a cut made to fit the amp, it's already fastened to it and works well, and I ordered some Peavey tolex to cover it, should be here Wednesday. I moved the power cable outlet hole to exit out the back instead of the bottom, had to drill it out and put the grommet in there, looks good so far. I might buy a power cable receptacle like so:

And instead of a hard-wired cable there'd be a way to unplug and put the cable away. The existing power cable was supremely brittle and just fucked, missing the ground pin, so I had to buy a new one and wire that in.

It's not some fancy tube amp, just a 1987 solid state amp and it's not going to be my main rig, just a specific type of sound that these things did well (Swedish death metal late 80s/ early 90s- Entombed's first two albums)...hence the SD-1 and HM-2 pedal being there. Tghe speaker is an original Peavey Scorpion circa 1987, which surprisingly sounds good even after 30 years. Thinking about getting a Celestion V-Type 70 watt and trying that out to see if it's better. Here's a playtest video I did last night of the setup.

Sorry for the long winded post, I figure at least Chase will be interested slightly in this stuff, most of the ppl on my facebook dont have much to say about it...:killme:
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #48
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 38160

Oh wow, that takes me straight back to high school. Classic amp. I remember hating Peavey when it was all I could afford because they were really just glorified practice/workhorse amps until the mid 90s when they started doing 5150s and Ultras. The cool guys had Marshalls with that balls out tube distortion but it was years before I had the cash for that. That solid state sound is so iconic. It's kind of a one trick pony nowadays but it's still cool. I'd say you made out like...wait for it...yeah, a Bandit.

Calling solid state Peaveys vintage is like seeing a classic car tag on a Geo Tracker - it just seems weird to me even if it's legit. If probably owned 10 or so Peaveys over the years (including a 2x12 Classic that I regret selling), the one I've held on to is a piece of shit 1x10 Envoy that has a fucked up reverb tank and makes this incredible crashing sound when you kick it hard enough. It's also a pretty good monitor at low volumes. One thing Peavey really got right is longevity - you just can't kill those old solid state bastards.

Oh, and you totally nailed the Entombed riffing. Straight out of Clandestine!
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Numerical (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #49
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

I'm on the lookout for a used SM58 to properly record this thing(yes, 58 not a 57- it's what Entombed used or so I've read), sorry bout the shitty phone mic audio, definitely doesn't do it justice.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #50
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041041
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
(including a 2x12 Classic that I regret selling),
My dad used to have the Stereo Chorus 2x12, it was great, and so loud.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #51
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

I've been experimenting this morning w running my Stereo Chorus as a simple impedance matched splitter, sending one signal through my big muff into the bass channel of my Fender Bassman, the other signal through a zoom tri-metal (think metalzone) into the guitar channel.

The bassier side (oh i play way drop tuned, drop A) through the fuzz and the bass channel for a darker tone combined w more of a high gain treble on the guitar side is really fucking satisfying, though it makes me want to get an attenuator so i can really drive the tubes.

sort of non-conventional but really cool tone, great for big open chords a la Jesu.

------------------
Old 13-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #52
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

If I remember correctly, Broadrick has mentioned running a POD XT through some mighty high end tube compressors (Avalon maybe?) to get that thick Jesu sound. I'd guess that gain staging a fuzz into breaking tubes is providing enough analog compression that it'd be really similar. Sounds pretty awesome - I'd love to hear a sample of what you're doing if you get time. That kind of experimentation is what's fun about metal. \m/
Thanks to Artificer
chasedobson (13-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #53
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Interesting. I pretty much only use my POD as a fancy DI, as the heavy tones in Guitar Rig are far superior.

Def worth looking into tho.

I'll track some stuff when i get it dialed in a bit. (:

------------------
Old 13-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #54
Artificer
Ghostly
Southern Hell

Dug it up. It's old and probably only a little relevent but there you have it.

I seem to remember a bunch of people on forums talking shit because at some point he was misrepresented as just using a Pod and then people find out he's pushing the Pod through $5k of outboard and they feel somehow tricked. But anyway there's some interesting technical discussion there which I found cool.

Regarding the Tri-Metal, is it really unique? I've heard conflicting reports as to its vitalness in a chain. I've considered either buying or building one but that's either pricey or time consuming. Just wondering if it's close to other options or really brings the magic.
Thanks to Artificer
PROton42 (13-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #55
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

its a metalzone clone.

currently im running the pregain at 4, anything else gets into really fizzy territory, also, using the mid contour as a boost to avoid that "bedroom guitarists scooped mid" sort of sound.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Artificer (13-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #56
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Dug it up. It's old and probably only a little relevent but there you have it.

great article by the way.

------------------
Old 14-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #57
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Sounds pretty awesome - I'd love to hear a sample of what you're doing if you get time. That kind of experimentation is what's fun about metal. \m/

i sent a link to your "visitor messages" in control panel. again pardon the shit playing.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Artificer (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #58
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

update. this shit is sounding awesome.

top end of the tri-metal really adding the presence that was lacking with the Big Muff alone, the Big Muff takes up a lot of space sonically but w the settings I am using it doesn't cut. Big ballsy stoner tone out of the Big Muff into the bass channel of my amp, definition w the TriMetal on the guitar side.

I'd like to take it to a rehearsal space to hear how it sounds really driving the amp and pushing some air.

Also, its not horribly noisy... so WIN.

------------------
Old 16-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #59
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

As if I never replied to this.

Using a Two Rock Kimock for dirt mostly. It's one of five that has dual tube rectifier instead of the SS rectifier that was initially spec in it's release. That through a 1x12 with an EV12L

My clean machine is a Bludotone Hi Plains Drifter. 150watts out of four 6550. Clean for days. Through a 2x12 with two austin speakerworks kts-70s.

Been using a line 6 helix lately for fx only. Still using my amps preamps and power.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #60
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
What do you play and what do you amplify it with.

Just a little research as I'm in the market. I'm about to permaloan a Fender Bassman head going to buy a cab. Genres span from post rock to shoegaze into some post metal and doomy stuff.

I've been using guitar rig for recording and now I want to take this to the stage.
I've been borrowing amps to play live and need my own setup!

I play both guitar and bass.

Lets hear it ppl.
Bassman is a good call. Could see you with a Friedman Brown Eye for your doom but I could see wanting something spongier for the post rock.

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote