Dubstep... Proven by science
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 24-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160
Dubstep... Proven by science

I've been doing some experiments lately for my final year dissertation. Upon analysing the results of one of the tests and writing the report, I came up with this:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
When I started writing about the force that drops, I thought: "But hey, this sounds familiar, it's like dubstep" and I started laughing and when I got myself I almost wrote the rest of the paragraph about buildups and breakdowns...

Just goes to show, music is everywhere, even the weirdest of genres...

Advertisements

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Xenon
Numerical (25-07-2013)
Old 24-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Dubstep... Proven by science

I don't consider Dubstep to be "weird" by any stretch of the imagination.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163741
Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,047 Posts

Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenva...d_eigenvectors

Minus X.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
I don't consider Dubstep to be "weird" by any stretch of the imagination.
Nah, I don't say it about dubstep, just in general... I like dubstep as well, but those I hear on public radio doesn't do it for me...

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

It's bullshit pal, Beethoven did the same many years ago, and so did a myriad of composers before him.

In short.........

Where's the DROP?

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Well, it is my understanding that a lot of IDM was designed to incorporate these kinds of complex mathematics and other such oddities of science, or theories translated into musical theory. I had always simply assumed that was part of the "IDM philosophy" and the more I look into simple equations and especially some complex patterns/sequencing algorithms the more I hear it in electronic music.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Xenon (24-07-2013)
Old 24-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenva...d_eigenvectors

Minus X.
You almost made me puke in my mouth. Had about a all the subjects of the bsc Math courses in second year, that stuff killed me, and we're doing it again this semester... Maybe it would be better now that we're actually going to apply that horrible stuff in practice..

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

Other related variables found in graph:

Force = force of euphoria felt from ecstacy pill.
Deflection = speed at which dubstepper defends genre.
Sample 1, 2, 3 = the choice of generic sample used (by artist).

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
You almost made me puke in my mouth. Had about a all the subjects of the bsc Math courses in second year, that stuff killed me, and we're doing it again this semester... Maybe it would be better now that we're actually going to apply that horrible stuff in practice..
Yea, to me, music is emotion and feeling, mona lisa can stuff the golden ratio where a king size dildo belongs. Things can easily become to artsy before you know it. In the end..

Am I kidding? Who the fuck knows rite... rite...

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Well, it is my understanding that a lot of IDM was designed to incorporate these kinds of complex mathematics and other such oddities of science, or theories translated into musical theory. I had always simply assumed that was part of the "IDM philosophy" and the more I look into simple equations and especially some complex patterns/sequencing algorithms the more I hear it in electronic music.
I would actually like to think that this started Classical music. I admire the composers of those days much more than today's mainstream artists. They just heard and saw things differently. I'm sure if you gave a Victorian or Medieval scientist an instrument he would do amazing stuff, likewise if you'd give a composer some time and a science textbook...

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Minion View Post
Other related variables found in graph:

Force = force of euphoria felt from ecstacy pill.
Deflection = speed at which dubstepper defends genre.
Sample 1, 2, 3 = the choice of generic sample used (by artist).

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
Yea, to me, music is emotion and feeling, mona lisa can stuff the golden ratio where a king size dildo belongs. Things can easily become to artsy before you know it. In the end..

Robbie Williams - Feel - YouTube

Am I kidding? Who the fuck knows rite... rite...
Lol yeah, You're rite, left... When it comes to music/any other art, I don't care about the science and math behind the composition of it, nor do I care about some abstract shit meaning the author supposedly tries to convey like we learn in literature. If it's nice, it's nice... Full stop.

Plus,I like the song you posted..

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237829

Quote:
Well, it is my understanding that a lot of IDM was designed to incorporate these kinds of complex mathematics and other such oddities of science, or theories translated into musical theory.
Replace "IDM" with Early Computer Music, and you're spot-on correct. Many IDM artists do have an interest in mathematics, however, partially due to IDM being very do-it-yourself genre. DIY with computers tends to involve a lot of code / programming, or at the very least modular environments. These assume you have pretty good basic understanding of mathematics.

Autechre, definitely "mathematical". Four Tet? Not so much.

Quote:
I had always simply assumed that was part of the "IDM philosophy" and the more I look into simple equations and especially some complex patterns/sequencing algorithms the more I hear it in electronic music.
The more you look into mathematics, the more you see and hear it in everything.

Quote:
I would actually like to think that this started Classical music.
So, something like, 11th century? No. Highly unlikely. Quite likely an impact on Renaissance era music, however.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
PROton42 (24-07-2013)
Old 24-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
The more you look into mathematics, the more you see and hear it in everything.
The more you look into anything, the more you see it everything. Especially if you don't grasp that it's a universal standard for anything. Understand, Freud?

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

^That post was right there in my top 5280 posts.

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

yeah haven't u guys seen that show numbers or whatever

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Gangster's Paradise

Quote:
The more you look into anything, the more you see it everything. Especially if you don't grasp that it's a universal standard for anything. Understand, Freud?
That makes a lot sense, though I don't like much of Freud's theories... I suppose when your mind is pre-occupied with some subject at a certain time that it perceives that thing elsewhere in your doings. It's like seeing what you wan't to see, not what's actually there...

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
yeah haven't u guys seen that show numbers or whatever
Freud didn't see it, are you calling him stupid or huh? I invented my own math system, It belongs in another dimension, meaning that 2+2 = 3.. Because you know, it's just a convention, a standard that makes the houses resist the weather, but in reality, everything equals infinity.. But how would a desert monkey know who only found his way on two legs to oppose predators. Like a goddamn..

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
That makes a lot sense, though I don't like much of Freud's theories... I suppose when your mind is pre-occupied with some subject at a certain time that it perceives that thing elsewhere in your doings. It's like seeing what you wan't to see, not what's actually there...
Freud had issues, he saw a lot of thing that was dearer to him than many others. But at least he was controversial.

------------------
Old 24-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237829

Quote:
Tinted lens, meet world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaclypse the Younger, Principia Discordia, Page 00016
The Law of Fives states simply that: All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5. The Law of Fives is never wrong.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
oly (28-07-2013)