OSX Mountain Lion / Logic Pro CPU issues
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 24-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947
OSX Mountain Lion / Logic Pro CPU issues

Hey folks, so ever since I went from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Mountain Lion (10.8.5), I have been getting random CPU spikes. Pretty much what's happening is that at random, my CPU will spike when using Logic Pro X (and Logic Pro 9), and will prevent me from doing anything because the audio will stutter. It doesn't matter how big or small the project is. Increasing the buffer size will help negate the audio stuttering if it's only one instrument, but once I had a few more the same thing happens again.

I'm going to include a screen capture of the issue happening, and then 20 minutes later, I play the exact same thing and the problem completely disappears. This completely blows my mind, and it's impossible to re-create the issue because I don't know what's causing it.

Also, I've noticed that when playing music in general (let's say from iTunes, or from youtube, or soundcloud), and the CPU spikes are happening in Logic, I quickly shut logic down and listened for any audio stuttering. It happens even when Logic isn't open, so this leads me to think that it has to be an OSX issue. I mean, in over 3 years using Snow Leopard, I never had a single CPU issue. Then I wanted to try Logic Pro X and upgraded to Mountain Lion, and that's when the problem started.

If ANYONE has any ideas or suggestions to how I can get closer to finding a solution, I would be very grateful. Is there someone I can contact at Apple? Should I send them this video or something? Anything helps guys, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: OSX 10.8.5
iMac 21.5" Mid 2010
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
1TB SATA Disk (340GB free)
Logic Pro 10.0.5
Logic Pro 9.1.8

Last edited by Syllix; 25-01-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
KymaFreq
Sample Destroyer
KymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MC
The Pacific NW
MC Status: 644385
Re: OSX Mountain Lion / Logic Pro CPU issues

What are your system specs? Please include which Mac model and year, hard drive speed, amount of RAM, and the specific version of LPX (10.0.1 to 10.0.6), etc. I know this kind of occurrence can be a real vibe-killer, so let's see if we can figure it out.

- KymaFreq

Last edited by KymaFreq; 25-01-2014 at 09:46 AM..
KymaFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
KymaFreq
Sample Destroyer
KymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MCKymaFreq is a savage MC
The Pacific NW
MC Status: 644385

If you haven't upgraded LPX to 10.0.6 yet, I would recommend that. Also, are you using an up-to-date driver for the Apogee One? A friend of mine had a similar situation with cpu spikes occurring while using Mac OS 10.8.5 and Logic Pro 10.0.5. He decided to update his OS to Mavericks and then updated Logic to 10.0.6 and has had only minor issues since then. But I know upgrading to such a new OS can cause all kinds of havoc with your DAW, audio interfaces and plugins. So I don't recommend that for everyone.

- KymaFreq
KymaFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

64 samples and USB? that must be one hell of a good driver, and Apple's ain't one.

What's your sample rate?

Logic Pro X stutters occasionally for me too (10.8.5 here) with a 4-core/8-thread i7, a far larger buffer (512 samples) and Firewire. If it's showing on Logic's cpu meters then it's more likely the problem is with Logic, not outside. It's quite possible the plugin pipeline has changed quite a bit in LPX so we're likely to see a few updates before things go back to normal.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I edited my original post to include my system specs. As you can see I'm still on 10.0.5 for LPX. I also haven't (or wasn't even aware) that I could update the driver for the Apogee ONE. I will check out their site shortly. And I guess I could upgrade to 10.0.6 for LPX... the reason I haven't yet is because the only change was for some silly garageband thing wasn't it? I figured I just wouldn't bother until the next update.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Didn't know running 64 samples was that big of a deal. I know it has really short delay (great for recording) but other than than, I'm 95% of the time using 256 samples as my buffer size. It's a happy medium for me.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Old 26-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

Maybe your ram is going bad on your computer, or some audio card may be shorting out? Is the fan on your computer clean? Are the cables by the fan not touching the fan? This audio stuff never happens to me, but I'm still running logic pro 9 and have a 2012 mac with 16g of ram. It baffles me as to why the problem can go away. I had that problem in Fl studio when the ram was low and the audio buffer size was too high - I had to turn the sampling rate way down, which of course means low audio quality. Maybe there is something running in the background that you cannot see. Maybe there is something in Logic that is taking up the ram.. you might want to check your processing and programs. Other than that, I'd go on the logic forums and post there - they helped me when I was having problems. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Hope you fix the problem!

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Syllix
Deep Underground

Mhm, yup I've posted on Logic Pro Help as well. No one really seems to know the issue. I definitely hope the RAM isn't going bad... seems pretty lame that would happen to an iMac that is only 3.5 years old.

Also, regarding the fans and cables - it's an iMac :p So not really much I can do haha.

But yes, it is strange how the problem comes and goes at random.

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Old 26-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllix View Post
Mhm, yup I've posted on Logic Pro Help as well. No one really seems to know the issue. I definitely hope the RAM isn't going bad... seems pretty lame that would happen to an iMac that is only 3.5 years old.

Also, regarding the fans and cables - it's an iMac :p So not really much I can do haha.

But yes, it is strange how the problem comes and goes at random.
The other thing I would do sadly, is contact apple. I would call them and ask about it. There are also forums on apple too... Someone may know what your problem is. You could find a local apple expert and ask him\her too. It's a shame that products can go bad.. I had a car that was 7 years old and the transmission went out on it -- shit happens, and products don't always last their said dates.

Advertisements

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote