Is there any reason to choose logic over ableton+reason
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 21-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
Is there any reason to choose logic over ableton+reason

I am pretty much using all reason right now in order to impose limits on myself to get stuff done, however I have ableton as well but have no where learned it to perfection.

I keep seeing masterclasses of a bunch of dance producers using logic and it gets me thinking in the back of my mind whether or not when the time comes to expand (so I can use more plugins) if that is even something I should think about. To be honest I hope it is not unless there are some kings of huge advantages over Ableton.

Are there any real advantages logic has over Ableton at all and if so what are they specifically? Are the native plugins better?

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106850
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,376 Posts
Re: Is there any reason to choose logic over ableton+reason

Any DAW can work to make good stuff these days - its all work flow and specific features that make the difference. Unless there is a feature you are really excited to try or a limitation you feel is holding you back - then there is no real reason to switch.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC

sorry but Ive heard a million of those answers before......

The questions is: has anyone whos used both ableton and logic found any big advantage or feature of logic and ableton cannot do? Are the native fx allot better?
Old 22-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Nope.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
sorry but Ive heard a million of those answers before......

The questions is: has anyone whos used both ableton and logic found any big advantage or feature of logic and ableton cannot do? Are the native fx allot better?

it's what works best for you. it really only ever comes down to that. my GF likes it in the arse sometimes, yours may not...
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

well im not gonna sit on the fence

id take ableton over logic any day because logic is completely shite at handling audio

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
MagnusN
Analog Lurker
MagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to behold
Copenhagen
MC Status: 810

I've chosen to go ableton+reason for the creative process, but I'd wish that I had convolution reverb and maybe a thing like Match EQ in ableton..
In my case, Ableton is for controlling/midi/stretching and the sound/layering comes from reason

I'm using Logic 8 btw - haven't had a reason to upgrade it
MagnusN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Is there anything that Ableton does not do? I've been using it for years and havent used anything else but I can't think of something it can't do
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 22-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

I'm 50/50 between the two these days and I came from a Reason background, so I'll say this:
Logic will be easier to understand out of the gate, especially coming from Reason. Also long-term, I find it easier to get things sounding good using it. I'm not sure why, but I have to struggle less to make my mixes sound the way I want them to in Logic. Not that it can't be done in Live, I just have to work harder at it.
I have a personal preference for most of the on-board effects and synths in Logic. Also, between the two, I actually prefer working with audio in Logic. There are just more tools there to get it sounding the way I like, and I prefer Flex Audio over Live's warping tools.

Live was more frustrating to learn since I was used to the straight-forwardness of Reason/Logic. Though once I did get comfortable in it, I did find that it was a lot easier to sketch out ideas. It has a lot of great tools that make the authoring process more direct and visceral. Macros, racks, and especially simpler are things that Logic would do very well to copy. I use operator a lot, and the basic effects are serviceable, but in both cases I'm finding I'm using 3rd party effects to be able to be consistant between the two. Especially when it comes to mixing-oriented plugins.

Short answer is they're both good, and you'll make music on both of them. Live feels more oriented to the in-the-box authoring process and Logic is more direct and (to me anyways) feels better oriented to the finishing process.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to niksah
henryspencer (22-01-2013)
Old 22-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I was skimming through and realize that there is something that I hate about Ableton, everytime you save it clears your Ctrl-Z history. So annoying
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
MagnusN
Analog Lurker
MagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to behold
Copenhagen
MC Status: 810

so true.. accidently saved yesterday (it happens in keyboard shortcut clutter/mania), but luckily it was just a tempo change I'd done. But really annoying that it empties the "undo cache"
MagnusN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
johanneslehmann
Granular Poster
johanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nice
Melbourne
MC Status: 410

I would say that pure mixing in Live is pretty painful, so is recording and comping audio / midi. So for recording a band for example I would much rather use another, more conventional DAW such as Logic.

More generally I would say for myself (others might disagree) that when you are not planning to use clips and the session view for whatever reason, you may well be better off using another DAW than Logic...
johanneslehmann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to johanneslehmann
henryspencer (22-01-2013)
Old 22-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Ok from what you are all saying plus the research, tutorials and masterclasses I watch it seems I am comming to a few conclusions. Again this is from someone who hopes to just stick with reason and maybe ableton later....

1. Ableton has problems with mixing:

Why is this specifically? Do you think most pros that use ableton are exporting tracks after to mix in another DAW? Why is logic so better? .... Would reason 6 with its ssl mixer perhaps be idea in the case that I was using ableton (export tracks to reason for mixing after)

2. Ableton is better for spontanious, creative workflow.

I have noticed that in ableton you can easly rip something to audio, slice it and drag it right into the sampler. This was one of the coolest things, as well as recording jams automating clips in session view. Does logic have anything that competes with this feature or is the workflow in Logic pretty much standard arrangement all the way?

These two are the main thins that will make up my descision.
Old 22-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

1. is false, although Logic's native plugins are quite possibly better quality than Live's.

2. is true, and yes, the Logic workflow is timeline all the way.
Old 22-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
Ok from what you are all saying plus the research, tutorials and masterclasses I watch it seems I am comming to a few conclusions. Again this is from someone who hopes to just stick with reason and maybe ableton later....

1. Ableton has problems with mixing:

Why is this specifically? Do you think most pros that use ableton are exporting tracks after to mix in another DAW? Why is logic so better? .... Would reason 6 with its ssl mixer perhaps be idea in the case that I was using ableton (export tracks to reason for mixing after)

2. Ableton is better for spontanious, creative workflow.

I have noticed that in ableton you can easly rip something to audio, slice it and drag it right into the sampler. This was one of the coolest things, as well as recording jams automating clips in session view. Does logic have anything that competes with this feature or is the workflow in Logic pretty much standard arrangement all the way?

These two are the main thins that will make up my descision.

For #1, I think it's more about the interface and the workflow that comes from it. The drawback of Live's ability to pull things together quickly is that it's a mess of tracks and chains and racks when you're done, then bussing just adds to that mess. Then you have to go through and make sure everything is on high-quality, and even then when I export there are differences in the sound from the session that I can't always explain. Logic is just more straightforward in it's layout which, for me anyways, makes it easier to compare things and forces a linearity in the approach that's difficult to achieve in Live. I go mostly 3rd party for my mixing plugins so it's not a comparison of onboard tools.

The new mixer in Reason is nice as long as that's all you need, problem is that you can't get very surgical with your EQing there so your back to the rack. I can't even imagine importing audio *into* Reason to mix, but that might just be my own snooty prejudgement.

For #2: that's it exactly. Logic doesn't have anything that's as easy as that. Not that you can't be spontaneous in Logic, you just have to be more comfortable in it first. I actually find Live's clip view distracting if I spend too much time in it, but it's a nice first stop while you put ideas together. It's also good to have a library/storage place for clips and ideas that you come up with while in the middle of working.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

I mainly use the timeline view in ableton so I'm tempted to try out logic
(it's only 180 euro in the app store)

Thoughts on this, is logic nicer to use if you only use the timeline structure and mainly third party vst's?

I can just rewire everything that I can't figure out in logic until I do anyway.
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

pretty much any classic DAW has a better featured timeline view than Live's arrangement

With most of them you will lose some of the modular routing possibilities tho. If you use lots of racks within racks within racks I wouldn't recommend the switch. If you don't I'd look at Cubase and Sonar as well.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

I can rewire the racks, what tempted me the most about logic over Cubase was the price I have to admit
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
johanneslehmann
Granular Poster
johanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nice
Melbourne
MC Status: 410

About mixing in Live, of course it is 'possible' and you can pretty much do everything you can do in another DAW in Live as well.

But since the question was when people wouldn't use it, I would be surprised if there were many mixing engineers who will choose to use Live over most of the other big DAWs. I wouldn't say it has 'problems', the workflow is just not that great IMO, simply because the interface prioritizes other features...

Advertisements

johanneslehmann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote