[3/4 Space Trip-Hop] Denial - free thor
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 21-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Denial
was once a goat
Denial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MC
whoa that's a lotta numbers
MC Status: 76730950
[3/4 Space Trip-Hop] Denial - free thor

i feel terrible making this thread when i haven't posted in the listening booth at all in pretty much forever

but i have this track that just ended up being in 3/4 and wanted to see if y'all think it works

peace bitches

Last edited by Denial; 22-09-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Denial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [3/4 Space Trip-Hop] Denial - free thor.
Old 21-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060
Re: [3/4 Space Trip-Hop] Denial - free thor

Nice groove. A bit short though...

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462058
Thanked 2,769 Times in 1,841 Posts

The tempo works, but it feels like there's too much going on all at once

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802523
Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,192 Posts

It's got a good groove going on, but it sounds very muffled to me. I'd bring the hats/claps forward a bit and maybe add a couple of harsher trebley phrases in there.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160

Nice vibe, the 3/4 rythme is a bit confusing with those sounds. But I like it.
Otherwise like Auto said, a little too much sounds bumping into each other.

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Denial
was once a goat
Denial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MCDenial is a savage MC

thanks for the feedback guys

@Brn: I actually cut a bit of treble in the master EQ because it sounded too trebley to me.. i guess thats what i guess for trying to produce on shitty headphones

@Everyone else: i hear what you're saying about it being too busy, i guess i got ambitious. any specific parts where its just too much?

------------------
Old 21-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
NExS
Granular Poster
NExS has a spectacular aura aboutNExS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
thanks for the feedback guys

@Brn: I actually cut a bit of treble in the master EQ because it sounded too trebley to me.. i guess thats what i guess for trying to produce on shitty headphones

@Everyone else: i hear what you're saying about it being too busy, i guess i got ambitious. any specific parts where its just too much?
From 55 seconds and onward, I have a hard time knowing what to focus on. They're all pleasant melodies and sounds by themselves, but together, it sounds a bit like a wall of sound. It seems like you couldn't decide which of your instruments you wanted to lead the piece, so you left them all at the forefront. Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT track, and the odd time signature is actually quite groovy.

Take my advice with a grain of salt (considering I have maybe 1/100th of the experience of most people here), but this is what i would do: I would bring the percussion out a little more, to have a more discernible rhythm for your listeners to follow. Then, I would choose one of the sounds you're using (whichever happens to be your favorite), and have it lead the track while using your other sounds in a more ambient-pad sort of way.

------------------
Final Fantasy VII: Mako Reactor Remix
NExS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Denial
was once a goat

that is some great fucking feedback man. specific advice like this is what this forum's all about.. the kind of post i'd make if i was still a decent IDMfer *tear*

the problem that i have with separating the elements of this tune is that the bassline and most of the percussion are from this 1 minute WAV file that i made a while back, and the original Ableton files have since been lost..

thats also the reason why its so hard to make this longer.. i refuse to quantize it and cant get the tempo of the current project to match up right, so i need to painstakingly chop up the clip each time i want to make a loop. theres probably an easy way to do this but i'm retarded.

i hear what you're saying man.. i'll put some more time into the EQ and the levels.

i'll update later if anyone's interested!

------------------
Old 21-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802523
Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,192 Posts

I kind of agree with M. NExS, but if I had my way I'd automate the volume of the percussion so it's not just being raised, but instead moving in and out of the track. I like it busy - it's like a fairly recent Radiohead b-side (I know you said that about one of my tracks recently, but it's true here). I kind of like that there's no easily discernible 'lead' part.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Denial
was once a goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
I kind of agree with M. NExS, but if I had my way I'd automate the volume of the percussion so it's not just being raised, but instead moving in and out of the track.
like at around 1:04-1:12?

the synth that comes in at 0:55 is, sort of, supposed to be the lead, but i guess its more clear to me since i wrote it

which is why feedback like this is so useful, it's about as close as you can get to listening to your own tracks with a fresh set of ears

------------------
Old 22-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
Denial
was once a goat

took advice from all of y'all and did an updated version with a big ol' bass drop

thoughts?

------------------
Old 22-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245803

I dig it a lot.
AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377667

I think if you carefully separated what you have more over stereo, it might work a bit better.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
NExS
Granular Poster
NExS has a spectacular aura aboutNExS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Poo, did i miss hearing it? Post back here if you reupload it! I'd love to hear the updated version.

------------------
Final Fantasy VII: Mako Reactor Remix
NExS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Denial
was once a goat

just uploaded a new version, this time with some vocal edits.. thanks again for all the feedback guys, it really helps

------------------
Old 22-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
KidM3
Knob Twiddler
KidM3 will become famous soon enoughKidM3 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Pretty cool. Def really like the second part where the vox samples come in more.....I think the 3/4 measure def works

Advertisements

------------------
KidM3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote