Easiest way to setup ~60hz LFOs in ableton?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Well I just discovered the huge implications these LFOs can have on the sound and I'm gonna use it in a track on my mid bass layer. What is best way of getting a LFO at like 45-80hz that controls volume (or whatever other parameter) in ableton? I know the resampler thing has a LFO built in I just wonder if I can get away without resampling the stuff. I might need to resample anyway for best results. I just like to not render to much so I can keep control over the little things without rerendering all the time.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660
Re: Easiest way to setup ~60hz LFOs in ableton?

M4l LFO device?
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
chasedobson (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Resampler thing?

If you don't have Max4Live, look which of Live's Effects have an LFO build in - Autopanner, Frequency Shifter for example - and just make use of those
Also drawing waveforms in clip automation might work, not much control though...

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Drawing 60 Hz lfos

Never looked into max.

I'll try with those plugs and see if they can do what I want. Otherwise I settle for resampler
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

i vote max4live as well.

also, what are the implications you have discovered?

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

how the hell do I do midi lfo in ableton? I want to use the volume and go up and down with it but compressor didn't work, eq won't work, how?

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

^ clip automation or m4l LFO device!
See above!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Drawing 60 Hz lfos
Yeah, I know...You can always just setup a synth plugin with LFO modulation for a comparison...

Also Sampler has a ton of modulation options - So you could just resample the track where you want that volume modulation, load into Sampler, set up LFO modulation and compare to the volume automation on the track you resampled from. If you set up clever loop points, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd definately recommend going the M4L route anyway It's rock solid these days and regarding modulation gives access to any parameter in Live.
But there's also floating windows and other workflow improvements as well as deeper integration of hardware etc.

Basically it let's you take Live exactly where you want it.

Last edited by Schnork; 10-06-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i vote max4live as well.

also, what are the implications you have discovered?
well LFO with proper speed on a sample gives it a nice gritty, sawish quality. Depending on the root note of this sample the LFO speed needs to be different, but around the 40-80hz area I think is what gives what I want. I'm gonna use it on some mid bass layers to give them a specific effect to start with,.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Yeah, I know...You can always just setup a synth plugin with LFO modulation for a comparison...

Also Sampler has a ton of modulation options - So you could just resample the track where you want that volume modulation, load into Sampler, set up LFO modulation and compare to the volume automation on the track you resampled from. If you set up clever loop points, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd definately recommend going the M4L route anyway It's rock solid these days and regarding modulation gives access to any parameter in Live.
But there's also floating windows and other workflow improvements as well as deeper integration of hardware etc.

Basically it let's you take Live exactly where you want it.
Yeah its just I'm a bit slow introducing new things to my workflow. I also have such a stable version running now I'm hesitant in introducing new stuff in it

I think I run with the "sampler" for now, I think it will be easiest.
Old 17-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Crude_beats
Banned

Well not sure anyone will read this but whatever....

So the resampler in ableton can only handle LFOs up to 30hz... That is really disappointing.

Seems like I have to get into this M4L thing. AAAhhh, the hassle. struggle is real etc
Old 18-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Ok. What do you mean with 'Resampler'? I'm using Live since version 4, but it seems I somehow missed the Resampler. ? .
Old 18-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Ok. What do you mean with 'Resampler'? I'm using Live since version 4, but it seems I somehow missed the Resampler. ? .
I mean the sampler vst thing.
Old 18-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Well an lfo is a low frequency oscillator and they usually work in frequencies that are not audible so from that perspective it makes sense that it only goes up to about 30Hz.
Although I guess in software that limitation is probably not relevant anymore...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Crude_beats
Banned

Yeah. Anyway I want to automate volume parameter at like 40-80hz with a sine wave. Any ideas?
Old 18-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #16
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Yeah. Anyway I want to automate volume parameter at like 40-80hz with a sine wave. Any ideas?
I just checked and even the M4L LFO has a max rate of 40Hz (which is pretty damn fast already for an LFO). So sorry, no idea...

Edit: Have you tried setting it to a meassurement relative to your bpm instead of to a fixed frequency? The max there is 1/64th notes which depending on your bpm will probably be faster than the 30-40Hz max frequency you can set it to...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #17
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Load a freeware tremolo VST.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #18
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8460

Just check some of the non-standard M4L LFOs:
LFO Zero (free) goes up to 50hz, TED by K-Devices (5) goes up to 100hz - the other ones I have in my list are based on the standard M4L LFO (max 40hz) but there are a lot more M4L LFOs to check. Good thing about these as compared to tremolo or volumeshaper effects is that you can modulate any parameter, not volume only.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #19
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
if you have Sampler, not Simpler (Sampler is part of Ableton Suite) you can do what you're describing (Amplitude Modulation) with the Pitch/Osc tab. on the left of it there is an envelope, which you can ignore. on the right there is a section that has an Oscillator for doing Freq Mod or Amp Mod (based on the 2 boxes to the left of the envelope)

the osc can be set from 10-1khz and the volume setting is akin to the depth.

give that a try?

also, i find setting loop points and other monotonous tasks pretty annoying in Sampler. You can set all that stuff (loop points and envelopes etc) in simpler and then apple/control click it and there is a tab that says:

Simpler -> Sampler - opens the same sample up in Sampler w all the settings from your Simpler.

SimplerSamplerSimplerSampler.... nonsense at this point.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Crude_beats (19-06-2016)
Old 19-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Can't you just set the LFO to sync to tempo, and then turn the tempo all the way up?

Advertisements

Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote