Posing and internet
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
bentjan7
Minor Glitch
bentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Posing and internet

Hi,

After reading an a absolute shameful "tribute" to Aphex Twin in a local fanzine which consisted of:
-2 A4 pages, actually <1 talking about him,
-From that page:
-two paragraphs talking about his tank and (ex)wife issues and copypasted quotes of him.
-Just a paragraph about his music: 6 songs (i almost cry when I read: "his work ranges from schizophrenic songs like Rubber Johnny,Come to dady, Windowlicker to soft, warm and nostalgical songs like Alberto balsalm, Xtal or Nannou" yes. this is the whole musical reference) that you can find in the first two pages after searching in youtube.
-and of course, not only the fact of not mentioning any album, but also not mentioning to his ambient-->then IDM evolution or even just mentioning those "key" words, and no mention either to his multiple projects.
-Final reference to Chris Cunningham and his cool videos (ok, he is cool...but...you know what i mean)

and some other personal experiences in the same vein:
do you think that with internet/social networks, etc is it way more easier to pose?:

Donīt get me wrong: Internet is a good thing: you can find TONs of music,meet people that share common interest and find info, but on the other hand...you can download almost everything for free and hear it, but not LISTEN to it.Also, you can dive into wikipedia, and find megacult interviews after googling, and show everybody your Fb likes (hey! look at me, I know 235029753 bands, i just heard one song of any of them, but who cares, i am so Kool!!!111)

You like more some bands in comparison to others or you can not listen in depth everything, of course, but I really feel angry when I see people speaking, or worse, writing, about things they donīt f*cking know. And specially when talking about pioneers: somebody that knows a bit of AFX or whoever, can easily discredit any pretender.

Advertisements

bentjan7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: Posing and internet

I think my biggest issue with media people is that they aren't exactly music people. They don't think like music people and they think in different terms than musicians do. I think I recall an interview with Richard James and he was being asked questions about his long hair, and if it was "part of his scene" sort of thing. There are a lot of people who just don't know how to appreciate music and what it even is that appeals to them about it.

Now I don't always consider what magazines like this are doing as "posing" because they're just trying to make something of this information world we live in, and that's how they want to go about it, it's their art whatever. That said, there's always a handful of those doing a good thing and so many more just trying to make a buck or two and it's really no different in this industry.

My thoughts.
(might move this to music scene chat)

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
bentjan7
Minor Glitch
bentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nicebentjan7 is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I think my biggest issue with media people is that they aren't exactly music people. They don't think like music people and they think in different terms than musicians do. I think I recall an interview with Richard James and he was being asked questions about his long hair, and if it was "part of his scene" sort of thing. There are a lot of people who just don't know how to appreciate music and what it even is that appeals to them about it.

Now I don't always consider what magazines like this are doing as "posing" because they're just trying to make something of this information world we live in, and that's how they want to go about it, it's their art whatever. That said, there's always a handful of those doing a good thing and so many more just trying to make a buck or two and it's really no different in this industry.

My thoughts.
(might move this to music scene chat)
Ok! no problem!!

The sad thing is that the fanzine is free and made by some young people, but anyone can actually join and write something. And thatīs precisely what makes me even more sad. Ok, you are tired of mainstream media and want to do something different. Then WHY do you accept publishing such empty and sensationalist articles? Perhaps because the owners donīt care about what they publish or even donīt know about who they write? I donīt know, really. Even if it is a free fanzine info should not be that mediocre because it gets bad reputation.
I also consider myself young (24). And I perceive this posing trend is much stronger in young people (you know, we grew up with internet and music is relatively expensive in my country but those facts should not be a pretext either)

Last edited by bentjan7; 10-06-2014 at 08:56 PM..
bentjan7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541730
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts

Media is fucking weird these days. Not much to add except I appreciate your perspective and that sounds like a terrible cobbled together article. Aphex Twin seems like a good target for poor journalism...where as someone more mainstream is going to fit into the mainstream media box.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
SKYCORE (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

mainstream media is full of a lot of bullshit cliches that have nothing to do with music partially because a lot of it is just promotional ads and because it's being pushed despite a severe lack of musical talent. They are so used to doing this that journalism has degraded and teen wannabees just copy that for their vlogs when they hit adulthood. Most music reviews sadly lack even a statement of instruments used. THAT IS IDIOTIC so posers are everywhere even in journalism.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Crocodiles eat each other's babies even on the brink of extinction.
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
PROton42 (20-06-2014)
Old 20-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I don't really see anything wrong with this. People who do their blogging or reviewing are only doing it to the best of their abilities. What's great about the internet is you can follow whoever you want, read whoever's articles you want and pretty much tune out what you consider to be the noise of mislead bloggers / writers. In this day and age we have so many outlets for everything that there can be no correct answer, you can just listen to, read and watch whatever you want, whether it's some small guy on a soapbox or the big guy who crafts and sells soapboxes. So to speak.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote