Why the new Hardware subforum?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744030091
Thanked 7,253 Times in 4,508 Posts
Why the new Hardware subforum?

OK so the popularity of our Hardware thread has lead to the creation of this new area for hardware discussions.

In the spirit of that thread, this area is for hardware synths and fx, controllers, and possibly other instruments.
At this stage threads about audio interfaces, studio monitors, headphones and microphones will stay in the main studio.

Let me know what you think.
Have we overlooked anything?
Should we add or remove anything?

Dragging threads across from The Studio has been quite interesting.
There's a definite repetition of stuff that people have been interested in and the same names keep coming up.
I'm thinking that eventually I'll make some sticky master threads with links to all other threads on the subject, but that probably won't be today.

Last edited by lolirl; 02-01-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Bairkan
Banned
Bairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improve
molest me, senpai
MC Status: -2147475747
Re: Why the new Hardware subforum?

I'd guess mics are more hardware related than computer peripherals (controllers), also, where is the diy thread gone to?
Bairkan is offline   Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Yeah, I see what you're saying and kind of agree but there was virtually no microphone chat in the hardware thread so I thought I'd go with how the people using the thread chose to use it rather than getting too hard and fast on strict categorisation.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts

what about a deals/sales thread or should we let people post those seperately as they come up and then just let them die after the sale?
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
what about a deals/sales thread or should we let people post those seperately as they come up and then just let them die after the sale?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Thanks to lolirl
relic (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I meant more like sales at Sweetwater, Muscians Friend, Zzounds etc.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator

Gotcha.
Done.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

VSE has / had a synth shootout section that was pretty cool. You know for all of the this vs. that type of talk. Even though tthere's not really a best synth out there perhaps something like that would be cool here.

Stuff like that helped me out quite a bit starting out. Just a thought.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
lolirl (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

This new sub-forum is a great idea - I've already seen new users.

So good work everyone on the ideas and the execution. I didn't like the initial idea, but I think we all came up with something that woks very well.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

Agreed davis. I'm finding threads I hadn't seen before. A new place to kill time.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

This hardware subforum turned out great I think. It seems we are getting way more discussion than before with all the categorized threads. Loving this.
Thanks to relic
lolirl (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
This hardware subforum turned out great I think. It seems we are getting way more discussion than before with all the categorized threads. Loving this.
Yeah +1, I don't post a lot in the threads but it's nice to lurk the different discussions.
Having multiple small threads allows more discussion, in the original thread discussions kind of stopped when something else came up.

Would it be a reasonable idea to have a questions thread? Similar to the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
?
I don't know if it would work for hardware too, but people could ask their dumb questions here and more experienced people might point them in the right direction (or thread)?
Stuff like wiring up gear or what type of gear you're actually looking.

The only problem I could see happening is if a lot of people just start asking gear advice.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Nyul
lolirl (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post

Would it be a reasonable idea to have a questions thread? Similar to the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
?
I don't know if it would work for hardware too, but people could ask their dumb questions here and more experienced people might point them in the right direction (or thread)?
Stuff like wiring up gear or what type of gear you're actually looking.

The only problem I could see happening is if a lot of people just start asking gear advice.
I've got no problem with that although it'd be nice if these things happened spontaneously rather than us starting a load of empty threads people are a bit apprehensive about posting in.
When we need one it will appear.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I've got no problem with that although it'd be nice if these things happened spontaneously rather than us starting a load of empty threads people are a bit apprehensive about posting in.
When we need one it will appear.
Trust this. Often enough we get someone who wants to build a full hardware setup for 500 dollars or wants the best hardware synth ever for 100 dollars. Or doesnt read the manual (I need to read more manuals...)
Old 13-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

This fucking sucks, Bring back the thread.

Yes Im entirely serious.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks
Old 13-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Euhm, do you have some arguments?

I think it's okay, it's a bit different but definitely not worse.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 13-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #17
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

I really feel like we still need just a general Hardware thread, mainly because a lot of the stuff we all talked about was stuff that didn't need it's own thread, and now there's no place for small talk.

For instance, I wanted to comment that I still like using the iPad rather than the PG-800 for to control the JX-8P, but we really don't need a JX-8P or PG-800 thread. And this little topic could have generated some general discussion about using different controllers, but if I start a thread for this, it's just going to look silly.

A general thread still has a lot of uses, and then when we want to dive deeper people can start specific threads.

------------------
Old 13-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
lolirl
Administrator

Just post in an ipad thread or start a general controllers thread?

I'm surprised there isn't a Classic Roland thread yet though too tbh, so much good/popular stuff.
Old 13-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
D_Davis
Seattle

That's just one example.

There have been multiple things I wanted to discuss during the past couple of weeks, but haven't because they don't deserve their own thread, and so I haven't been as active here as I used to be.

I think a small-talk thread is needed. Sometimes we want to chat, and sometimes we want to talk in depth.

------------------
Old 13-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
lolirl
Administrator

There's a chat room IRC for chat.

Advertisements

Closed Thread