[Ambient] DJ Kotu - K.T.G
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Icon5 [Ambient] DJ Kotu - K.T.G

Just interested to get any feedback on a new tune.... one which I made for a computer game. My mate was telling me to keep it as simple and as basic as possible..... he was even saying to leave it as just the bassline when I was adding the lead line in. Here is the tune

simple url
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Ambient] DJ Kotu - K.T.G.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Khouroux
Minor Glitch
Khouroux is a glorious beacon of lightKhouroux is a glorious beacon of lightKhouroux is a glorious beacon of lightKhouroux is a glorious beacon of lightKhouroux is a glorious beacon of lightKhouroux is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Re: [Ambient] DJ Kotu - K.T.G

I agree with your friend in a way, VGM need to be simple in order to let the videogame "take the lead" for the emotions, but I think that maybe that one is a little bit too simple. I don't know for what kind of game you composed, and when in the game the player will hear that, but I think that listening to this for twelve minutes or more will be a little bit annoying ^^
Maybe you could make variations in the track ?
Khouroux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170360
Thanked 3,407 Times in 2,543 Posts

I agree totally with what [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said..your mate could be right about just the base line..that is, depending on how this piece ended up being used. If it was the background to, say, the credits..or something that plays in the background while a menu is showing, then that's fine I guess..it could do the job. But as an Ambient track it kinda falls over a little, in that it's halfway between something like what Brian Eno would do and a more up-tempo chill-out track. As it stands it's basically neither.

The thing is when you have a lead line like that, the listener's brain is automatically primed to expect other elements to come in, like high hats or shakers..followed by maybe a counter melody to balance the lead out a bit..but that doesn't happen here and the end result is you're left wanting more but don't get it.

The bassline is solid..I really like it, though you might want to cut the lows a little, so it doesn't smoother the lead and bring up the volume on it a tad in the mix.

The opposite applied to the lead. If this were mine, I'd take the volume down a bit, so it doesn't stand out as much as it does. You can still keep it up front, obviously..you don't want everything to blend into one musical mess..but as it stands, it kinda obscures the bass a little. I'd also cut the low end on the lead a little, too, as you have some pretty subtle modulation going on there and it tends to get a lost a little. While you're at it, add a touch..only a little, of reverb to the lead, to help give it depth of field..it sounds a little too up in your face right now. Plus reverb would help give it a more dreamlike feel and help draw attention to the modulation in a more artistic way.

Also think about adding a couple of little "sweeteners" to the mix..elements that will add more movement to the mix..like chimes or or something, whatever takes your fancy...and add a touch of panning, alternate each.

I know all of the above reads like a lot needs to be done, but it's not that much really..and, obviously, take all of what I've said with a big pinch of salt, as it's all based on what I would do personally if this piece were mine.

All in all, I like the vibe of this, but I would take it further, as it sounds to my ears like it's crying out to be developed more. Nice work, though.

Thanks for sharing.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Inna Selez
Regular Freak
Inna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the rough

Nice track but too simple. IMHO add at least one more sound layer in the middle.
Inna Selez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Vilius J
Analog Lurker
Vilius J is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Sounds good but ir depends on game itself and how many more sounds will cover that game.. It's hard to tell how it would sound in there maybe it would fit just well.. Good luck on your game bro
Vilius J is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the rough

it is just for the menu

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Vilius J
Analog Lurker
Vilius J is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10