Audio glitches, help!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26510
Audio glitches, help!

Hey all
I am having a problem with my computer setup.
It is similar to something @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
talked about in another thread, but I can't find it anymore but it's not limited to live.

I get random glitching from my audio, using guitar rig standalone even, not just with a DAW. I am therefore thinking it's not just a question of CPU being crap.
What's the best way to go around finding and fixing the issue?
Is it the interface (motu 828 in my case?) or the computer (2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch, borderline senile at this point the poor old thing!) or the software (all of them?)

It's pretty random, and i can't seem to do anything in particular to replicate the issue, but it's a crackling sound, with some volume drop and almost a bit crushing type sound. Don't know how else to describe it.

Advertisements

jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184660
Thanked 3,693 Times in 2,753 Posts
Re: Audio glitches, help!

Are you getting it just when using software..or are you using external instruments / tools when it happens? Or both?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I mean this in in the kindest possible way, but your laptop is a boat anchor and has been for a couple of years. I'd put smart money on the cpu being the cause of the issue. It just doesn't have enough oomph to keep up with the demands of a modern OS, modern DAW and the processing you're throwing at it. If you'd install a DAW from 2010 and whatever passed for Guitar Rig back then, I'd guess it'd probably work pretty well. As it stands I'm betting it's time for an upgrade.

Anecdotally, my 828mk3 has never once had an underrun or dropout with Ableton. Given the incredibly diverse and complex ecosystem of digital recording, that doesn't mean much, but it's a really solid interface in my experience (outside some weird Cuemix crashes).

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Are you getting it just when using software..or are you using external instruments / tools when it happens? Or both?
Yeah, outboard drum machine/sampler and guitars and or synth.
I figure using outboard gear and working only with audio itb would've eased the CPU load, but wth do I know!
Edit: so yeah, both I guess
Old 05-08-2017, 03:47 AM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I mean this in in the kindest possible way, but your laptop is a boat anchor and has been for a couple of years. I'd put smart money on the cpu being the cause of the issue. It just doesn't have enough oomph to keep up with the demands of a modern OS, modern DAW and the processing you're throwing at it. If you'd install a DAW from 2010 and whatever passed for Guitar Rig back then, I'd guess it'd probably work pretty well. As it stands I'm betting it's time for an upgrade.

Anecdotally, my 828mk3 has never once had an underrun or dropout with Ableton. Given the incredibly diverse and complex ecosystem of digital recording, that doesn't mean much, but it's a really solid interface in my experience (outside some weird Cuemix crashes).
Yeah, I am quite happy with the motu
But if the CPU load is only around the 30% or so in guitar rig how's that fing up my audio?
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Yeah, outboard drum machine/sampler and guitars and or synth.
I figure using outboard gear and working only with audio itb would've eased the CPU load, but wth do I know!
Edit: so yeah, both I guess
My first guess would be the obvious..either a faulty connection somewhere along the line..or some sort of electrical interference. Are you using balanced cables with your monitors and equipment..and is this issue heard through your headphones as well?

------------------
Old 05-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I'd guess that it's showing you how much of the single Guitar Rig process you're using, not how much of the actual cpu is in use. I'm fairly certain that GR is a single threaded app, so it's not going to utilize your entire cpu anyway. Just because GR isn't maxing it out doesn't mean something else isn't. There's a ton of things happening in the background. Any extra programs or processes you can shut down might help. You're right that it might not be the computer, but it's the most likely suspect given its age and the fact that the internet isn't overflowing with noise/dropout complaints about Guitar Rig or the 828.

I'd also try troubleshooting it by restarting the computer, closing out any programs that might start up, and only running Guitar Rig, either in your DAW or stand alone. No extra tracks, no external instruments hooked up, just a fresh boot and GR. See if you can get it to do it then.

The best way to test it would be to move the exact same setup over to a newer, faster computer and see if it still does it (to rule out the computer), or with a different interface (to rule out the 828), but that obviously might not be an option.

You might also try a different outlet in case it's electrical, and different cables if you have them. Get it as simple and stripped down as you can.

I'll poke around the interwebs and see if I can dredge anything up, but most troubleshooting revolves around changing one thing at a time until you can isolate the problem through elimination.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #8
A.M

Yeah..I second what Art just said. My suggestion is part of that..like I said, the obvious cable issues and electrical interference blight that often crops up when you're using external gear.

The thing is, as he suggested, go through things step by step..one at a time, from starting with the mere basics..then it's just a process of elimination..sorry, there's really no quick way around it, unless you get lucky starting out and stumble across the cause of the fault right away.

The thing is the kind of issue you're describing is one of those that just could be anything in the chain..from cables..to you PC. It's going to be a pain to do, but it's something you need to do to get to the bottom of it.

Mind you, based on the kind of sound you described, to me it does sound like a faulty connection somewhere..or a loose pin in a cable head..that kind of thing..but idk tbh..it could be any fecking thing in your setup that's doing it.

You're just going to have to jump in and get your hands dirty I guess..no tow ways about it.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
jbvdb493 (05-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536677
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,256 Posts

Which OS and which firmware version are you using on the 828?

I found that the intermittent issues with Ableton specifically had to do with an OS version and Ableton 9 having clocking discrepancies, an update to both OS and version of Ableton has been the fix.

I've found that on my 2011 Macbook I've run into intermittent audio drops like you describe but in order to not cripple it w an OS update (i like it on Mavericks, it was the best OS i found for that specific hardware) I've only downgraded to Mavericks and keep it offline. It'll ultimately end up with a SSD in it to run Resolume for video content.

My current recording machine is a 13" MBP Retina Early 2015 running El Capitan 10.11.4, 16GB RAM and it has been fine w my 828mk3 and has also been solid w Ultralite MK3's.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Which OS and which firmware version are you using on the 828?

I found that the intermittent issues with Ableton specifically had to do with an OS version and Ableton 9 having clocking discrepancies, an update to both OS and version of Ableton has been the fix.

I've found that on my 2011 Macbook I've run into intermittent audio drops like you describe but in order to not cripple it w an OS update (i like it on Mavericks, it was the best OS i found for that specific hardware) I've only downgraded to Mavericks and keep it offline. It'll ultimately end up with a SSD in it to run Resolume for video content.

My current recording machine is a 13" MBP Retina Early 2015 running El Capitan 10.11.4, 16GB RAM and it has been fine w my 828mk3 and has also been solid w Ultralite MK3's.
Yeah I am on 10.10.4 with the latest 828 firmware ( 1.0.6 iirc)
I should investigate upgrading my OS maybe.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

I'd say go and remove your audio interface from the chain and see if the problem still exists with your Macbook's built-in soundcard.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote