when does changing vocal style from verse to chorus become too drastic?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5710
when does changing vocal style from verse to chorus become too drastic?

Just wondering what you guys think. Should/does the vocal style of the verse need to match the chorus or is it okay to completely change styles, and if so how much of a change can the average listener handle before its just too off-putting?

For example, I have a track I'm working on with a VNV Nation-ish sung vocal on the chorus, but my takes for the verses are coming out more solo Ohgr (of course nowhere near as great as those two). These are two very different vocal styles...basically a throaty yet whiny growl turning into a big singy reverbfest and I'm having trouble figuring out if they mesh well or if the change is too much.

I know there's been tons of songs with a rapped verse/sung chorus or male on the verse/female on the chorus, but when you have one person changing his/her style that much does it become unlistenable?

Any opinions?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536277
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,251 Posts
Re: when does changing vocal style from verse to chorus become too drastic?

I think they can vary wildly and no one will bat an eye. Happens all the time. I say go for it.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (03-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO

I decided to let Bonnie take a shot at it. A female voice might soften it up enough to not be as jarring. If it doesn't work out I'm just going go for the weird whisper/growl thing and see how that goes.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

Compare vocals at 00:23 to 00:26 to 00:54 to 01:13 to 02:19.

215 million views.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:23 AM   #5
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

Hmm...i hadnt considered vocal styles of other genres. Stuck myself in a box there, but yeah if it works for other music it could work for all music. Serj is all over the place on every song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Compare vocals at 00:23 to 00:26 to 00:54 to 01:13 to 02:19.

215 million views.

------------------
Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
Hmm...i hadnt considered vocal styles of other genres. Stuck myself in a box there, but yeah if it works for other music it could work for all music. Serj is all over the place on every song.
Dude, Serj If f'ing brilliant!!! Sorry off topic but I just can't get over how brilliant he is...

Umm yea, I would say go for it!. I think about hiphop and how juxtaposition of vocal style can be a good thing to keep a song moving. Almost like a way to capture people's attention again. And if it's the same signer/rapper and the same music underneath I think it will still mesh.

For example (very loose example - cuz im haven't heard your song so not sure what to compare it to.) There is a song by Tobacco that ive been listening to recently and the music completely changes when the hook comes in. The voice is still the vocoder bass thing he does, so it still sounds like the same artist. and same song. I will admit It's weird and jarring, but I appreciate that in a world where everything is so sterile.

Another thing ill say, Every great song from FlyLo to Serj and system of a down, to Tobacco, There is a tonal quality and a wiedrness element that separates them from the pack. In their cases there is something that intrigues a big group of people, but it has to be special. And so having something different is risky but necessary. (which is why I pass my synths through a distortion box and then master to 1/4 inch tape - takes mroe time but i want something different from the rest) Food for thought.

Advertisements

------------------
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote