MIDI hub and a dumb question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts
MIDI hub and a dumb question

I am connecting my hardware via a MOTU MIDI express XT which has 8 in and 8 out Ports. I thought until an hour ago that I have 16 channels total, but seems that this is actually per port.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but should I think of each port as an independent loop that can send different messages to up to 16 hardware units with a dedicated channel (or multiple channels per instrument)?

And the MOTU has custom routing capabilities, so that I can route say the Digitakt to only the Octatrack, MPC, and Maschine etc?

I've completely misunderstood how a MIDI patch bay works, I think.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31460
Re: MIDI hub and a dumb question

Yeah, you've got the gist of it. The simplist bit of MIDI is a message. That's a binary on-off signal encoded in 7 bits (the 8th being a check or status bit), which translates to 128 distinct messages (2^7 = 128). Generally, 0 is all the way off and 128 is all the way on with a linear progression.

Each message gets transmitted on a channel. Every MIDI link has 16 channels. A channel broadcasts whatever message to whatever is listening on that same channel. That might be your DAW, or a keyboard, or your DAW and a keyboard. You can also have system-wide messages (Omni mode) that broadcasts out on all channels. Setting your MIDI channels correctly is a big part of getting everything talking like you want it.

In the old days you routed MIDI messages by using channels. If you press the C key on your keyboard, that'd send out a C-note message on whatever channel, to every single outgoing MIDI port. That means that C note might head out to both your outboard sampler and your drum machine. If you didn't want the drum machine to get the C, you'd change it to listen on a different channel, and you'd have to program something else on that different channel to trigger it.

Now, through the magic of computerboxes, you can use something like your MOTU to skip the whole channel conflict and route the MIDI you want to specific outputs. So you can say "all this crap going out over channel 1 should only go to port 3, which goes out to my keyboard". And then you could route some other set of MIDI over channel 1, but only have it go to port 6 and 7, which are your drum machines. It also means that you could have everything on channel 1 going out to ports 1-8, but channel 2 only goes to port 3 and channel 10 goes to ports 6 and 7... That means you can have an absolutely insane amount of MIDI flying around, because you can have all 16 channels pumping around separately to 8 different outputs for a total of 128 channels at once. You'd have to do some really contrived orchestration for that to ever be an issue, but it does allow a lot of flexibility without having to swap channels around all the time.

So yeah. Did I just confuse the matter?

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
liquid_air (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Not really, but glad that I finally got it.

Next is MIDI filtering and MIDI FX, I suppose. Kind of what attracted me to the Digitakt. Who doesn't want MIDI LFOs and p-locked conditional trigs

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31460

Heh, yeah. As someone who does a lot of conditional/forced semi-randomness ITB via Max, I can see the usefulness (also, MIDI LFOs are incredibly useful and I use them constantly because they're awesome). I can't imagine trying to program trigger conditions with a tiny little window and some knobs. It's brutal enough with a mouse and keyboard. Certainly powerful, I'd just worry that I'd pull my hair out trying to get it done.

Advertisements

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote