[House] Signal Jacker - Your time now
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 31-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1310
[House] Signal Jacker - Your time now

Sampled an album entitled "Negro prison blues and work songs" ...Recorded live at the Mississippi and Louisiana State Penitentaries...

Advertisements

------------------
Richard Travers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [House] Signal Jacker - Your time now.
Old 31-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160
Re: [House] Signal Jacker - Your time now

Yay, first song on IDM forums that I've heard with a clarinet featured in it. I like it. Some of the instruments feel like they cut out a bit. (choppy?) But overall nice feel and groove. Kinda has a dark blues feel as does alot of those types of songs from way back when.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Richard Travers
Soundscaper
Richard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud ofRichard Travers has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
Yay, first song on IDM forums that I've heard with a clarinet featured in it. I like it. Some of the instruments feel like they cut out a bit. (choppy?) But overall nice feel and groove. Kinda has a dark blues feel as does alot of those types of songs from way back when.
Thank you man, yes there was a lot of sample chopping in this project, or maybe it could be a problem with compression idk.

------------------
Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Would anyone be so kind as to comment on the sound quality, I'm working on headphones and have no monitors currently, is it bassy enough? or too toppy? please?

------------------
Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184410
Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travers View Post
Would anyone be so kind as to comment on the sound quality, I'm working on headphones and have no monitors currently, is it bassy enough? or too toppy? please?

Relax, Rich..you nailed it..sounds pretty fine to my ears..though the intro made me think it wasn't.

Nice work, as always, man. Really enjoyed this.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Relax, Rich..you nailed it..sounds pretty fine to my ears..though the intro made me think it wasn't.

Nice work, as always, man. Really enjoyed this.
Ahh cheers A.M. I have only cheap 9.99 headphones to produce on lol.

------------------
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Vilius J
Analog Lurker
Vilius J is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Cool track. Would fit to some sort of classic latin radio or something Love it
Vilius J is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilius J View Post
Cool track. Would fit to some sort of classic latin radio or something Love it
Thankyou Vilius

------------------
Old 07-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
bulevardi
IDMf's latest spammer
bulevardi is currently spamming hard
Brussels

I like it a lot.
It sounds a bit jazzy, Saint Germain like, but I can smell the Mississipi penitentiaries in the song indeed
bulevardi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Vilius J
Analog Lurker
Vilius J is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travers View Post
Thankyou Vilius
Cheers man
Vilius J is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
I like it a lot.
It sounds a bit jazzy, Saint Germain like, but I can smell the Mississipi penitentiaries in the song indeed
Cheers man, you're very kind.

------------------
Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
strangerflesh
Knob Twiddler
strangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the rough
Winnipeg
MC Status: 260

Im liking the track, it flows well! the clap that comes in at the 230 mark could crisp up a bit, generally its sounding pretty good . makes me want to do a remix too

------------------
strangerflesh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerflesh View Post
Im liking the track, it flows well! the clap that comes in at the 230 mark could crisp up a bit, generally its sounding pretty good . makes me want to do a remix too
Thanks man, really appreciate it.

------------------
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #14
Brokarucci
Regular Freak
Brokarucci is currently spamming hard

It's difficult to define what kind of house it can be related to. But yes, it's dancy, I like it about this track.
Brokarucci is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Thank you man, I dunno, it's a fusion of Blue's and House, what that means I don't know, ghetto house maybe?

------------------
Old 17-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
Xinus
Granular Poster
Xinus has a spectacular aura aboutXinus has a spectacular aura about
Copenhagen
MC Status: 160

Not my style really but I'll comment. I'd say that the kick is really too loud. It's a bit too boomy too but it may be fine if it's turned down a bit. From what I'm hearing here it lacks some presence too so some more high end would make it more clear and present.

Best

------------------
Xinus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Yeah I had guess at a lot of the levels on account of only having cheap headphones to mix on atm, thanks for the pointer I'll take a gander on some proper monitors soon.

------------------
Old 18-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
einmeier
Granular Poster
einmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1709

Oh, that clarinet is VERY lovely and especially the vocals are excellent in that house-context even the vocal feels a bit "left'ish in the aspect of the stereo-image. As you asked for the sound quality, i love the smooth kick-drum, the bass feels warm and fluffy, i like the mixdown, everything feels pretty fine on my lil' yamaha-speakers even i personally would maybe lower the volume of the clap and the hihat just a little bit but that's probably more a matter of taste.

That blues/house-fusion is lovely, it makes the song very catchy and remember'able and for sure it could do its job at a club/party pretty good as it has that summer-feeling....

Mentioning Saint Germain is indeed a good fit, that comment just made me want to search for that good ol' tune when i was young
einmeier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Richard Travers
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmeier View Post
Oh, that clarinet is VERY lovely and especially the vocals are excellent in that house-context even the vocal feels a bit "left'ish in the aspect of the stereo-image. As you asked for the sound quality, i love the smooth kick-drum, the bass feels warm and fluffy, i like the mixdown, everything feels pretty fine on my lil' yamaha-speakers even i personally would maybe lower the volume of the clap and the hihat just a little bit but that's probably more a matter of taste.

That blues/house-fusion is lovely, it makes the song very catchy and remember'able and for sure it could do its job at a club/party pretty good as it has that summer-feeling....

Mentioning Saint Germain is indeed a good fit, that comment just made me want to search for that good ol' tune when i was young
Ah nice one man, that's really cool of you to say and I'm really stoked you caught the vibes of it. The orchestral section was taken from a piece by the jazz composer
Moondog, called 04 Symphonique No. 6 (Good for Goodie) the orchestra sections were very very loose and parts of it are very cluttered, it took a lot of work to quantize them and even now they still go out of time with themselves so nothing can be done, hopefully the house beats mask the lose timng a little.

Also got to say the theme of the blues song and the lyrics are very moving, I believe the jist of his lyrics are about his girlfriend leaving him whilst he's in jail. I can certainly relate to his loss.

------------------
Old 18-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #20
einmeier
Granular Poster
einmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1709

Oh, Moondog! Well, he's famous and seemed to be a very interesting person, good to know! So, i'll hope you continue your sampling-journey as the result is impressive and as i / we do use these kind of samples as well, i.e. bringing non-electronic parts in the context of electronic music...

A lil' hint: If you're using Reaktor, i'll strongly recommend 'Ultraloop' of 'Twisted Tools', it's sort of a sample-mangler (just with 4 bars, it's the only limitation which sucks), but they have a stunning engine behind this (payware)-ensemble to sync and quantize nearly the even unquantizable things So even if you're not mashing up several samples, just to auto-sync weird stuff into the grid, it's a fantastic tool.

Advertisements

einmeier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote