Beringer x control compact x 4 Reason SSL mixer
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2660
Beringer x touch compact x 3 Reason SSL mixer

anyone have any thoughts on getting four of these working in reason for running their ssl mixer?

can have one extended off each of the two main surfaces... would give me 32 channels and 4 bus faders for stems.

250-300 bucks off ebay

its made for logic but uses mackie control...

Last edited by Lotus_Jewel; 10-08-2017 at 01:30 AM..

Advertisements

Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
Re: Beringer x control compact x 4 Reason SSL mixer

okay well i picked up three of them, it doenst make sense to get four... other than e peen or something. shit if i need 24 channels at that but it will be nice to have it. and i have the space for it i think, i need to customize my lil metal table by adding a keyboard drawer, one for the computer with a mouse. i could make something up in an hours time or so... if i was at a metal fab shop. id hate to pay someone the labor having the experience myself to make it...

its coming in the snail mail will be here soon. will be a nice addition to my studio. for the price of one mackie mcu pro i got three of these lil shits and still saved money for an ounce.

------------------
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4110
Re: Beringer x touch compact x 4 Reason SSL mixer

EDIT: OK too late.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
Lotus_Jewel (06-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts

I looked into something similar at one point by Presonus, the Faderport I believe. I was scared off by it not listing any specific support for my DAW. I did read you could run it in FL Studio with the Mackie Control settings in FL Studio, but didn't want to take the chance.

If it works out well let us know! I get occasional wrist pain (I type a ton for work) and would love something that let me mouse less in my DAW.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Lotus_Jewel (03-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

yea ill let you all know how it goes. once i get them setup and the cloud finished, and i have a few things to add, like some carpet for the floor, and some sound absorbing blankets i am going to hang on the walls behind the treatment, covering my doorways, and closet...

then it will be finished, for now, and i will take pictures and share. I made my own corner traps, bass traps, 242 reflection panels... cloud, and the makeshift diffusor... which has been working wonderfully to say the least, the back of my studio is rather dead, with exception to nearly against the wall, you can hear the 45.7 hz standing wave.

when the ceiling is done, that should help cure that, along with the floor carpet.

im just concerned that reason wont work the way i hope it will with the x touch compacts... in that case i could sell them and save for a mcu pro... or ill shit can reason all together and get studio one and the 32 channel mixer by presonus... or something equivalent.

------------------
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I looked into something similar at one point by Presonus, the Faderport I believe. I was scared off by it not listing any specific support for my DAW. I did read you could run it in FL Studio with the Mackie Control settings in FL Studio, but didn't want to take the chance.

If it works out well let us know! I get occasional wrist pain (I type a ton for work) and would love something that let me mouse less in my DAW.
so far so good, i got one working so far, the other two should be here today or tomorrow. both packages are here in town but have been sitting at the facility for over 24 hours now... with no change in tracking info, they should be here soon.

the one i have hooked up is a nice. im actually really glad these work with reason... they only work with MC mackie control mode... maybe they work in standard mode with it edited, but i cannot get it to work in standard mode as is. it controls nothing... no where, doesnt let me assign or take master remote control... so back to MC mode.

here i can get it to work the faders and knobs... etc... i have not figured out its logic... and have a lot to learn here... but i will get it in time. right now working on the template... trying to get that working with the controller.

i can edit this app that comes with the unit, and it will allow me to map the layout? i need to learn this... for my mixer template is modified and the stock program on the unit will not control it as is.

if this works, it going to be the forth best investment in the studio... and i am already glad i made it. i just hope i can make it do weird things... cause im weird and dont like the typical shit...

So I guess being not sure where to start, perhaps because Im at the beginning, lol... I plug the unit it, and notice the two modes, standard mode, and MC mode. My daw seems to like the MC mode more, in fact nothing will work or control Reason in standard mode. Have yet to figure out why, but when Im in MC mode, it works with Reason! YEA!

In reason, under preferences - where you select your control surfaces... I can auto detect devices but with no avail, it didnt show my XTC unit... It showed two other Behringer devices which I do not posses. So I searched again and found ONE video about XTC and Reason. sad, I know. After watching this guys guide, I was able to get it.

I had to add the device manually, with the ADD button, and search for Mackie... and there it was. I assume because it could be masked as a Mackie device? because of its protocol? I had one more step to do though before I was set. I had to go to the options section in Reason, and I went to surface locking, where I was able to select the XTC and then, assign what I wanted it to be locked to... Obviously the SSL Mixer, is what we are after so, I searched but didnt see it listed. In this video though, thankfully the young man displayed him selecting the master section option. Anyways, once I selected that and closed the preferences window, my new XTC was controlling the mixer!

I noticed there is a software editor for the mapping, I assume, the programming of the layout or whatever you call it? I dl'd it and installed it, and it works. I searched thru each of the tabs and notice its contents. Though Im not sure how to adjust, or what to do... I see that it works and see to some degree, how it works?

Im aware how to manually, not sure if this is the right way to describe it, set control of a said button or fader or knob, ... via edit remote override mapping. I just right click on Reason, where I want the control, and select this option, and move the controlling device, and hit okay.

but another way was to right click on the mixer and select set remote base channel - Im not sure if this is correct, but what I did was selected the first track in my mixer, ie the one all the way to the left, as we read left to right, I incorporated this logic in my mixer. arrangement. The tracks to the right of the first track are also controlled... by corresponding the tracks mixer channels. up until the last channel, the master controlled the master output of course.

I have a preset in the SSL mixer... I wish to set a template and simply use this when ever I want to make a song, ... ie EVERY song project I use, will start with this template. so it makes sense to me to think about it, and plan for what I will need. I have been working on this template for some time and have been improving it.

I have 36 channels in total in the SSL mixer in Reason. this takes up my entire screen without moving left or right scroll. Broken down, there are 3 sections... in which each section I plan to control it by its own XTC Each section has 8 sample tracks, which come from Reason's rack of instruments and so on. On top of those 8 channels though, I have added three parallel channels, one for the first track, one for the 5th track, and one for the 8th track. Each section is routed to it own bus - which is routed to the master. So in total, there are 12 channels in each section. 12*3=36 channels in total. This is what I think is okay to start with for now... I was planning on getting 4 XTC for all 36 channels... in which 32 sample channels + 4 bus channels = 36 channels total. I can save money, and space!!! and use less samples, and use parallel channels, and still take up an entire screen... so it all works. lol.

No sense in having un used landscape! and the projects I made with 36 samples seems a bit cluttered etc, I thought maybe its better to simplify a bit and make the template a bit flexible.

So, I get the other units today or tomorrow... I have the space for them and am ready to plug them in, upon getting another strip plug and extension cord to split the load off another circuit... I do have a bit coming out of this one wall socket now...

I have a few things to figure out. When I had the 8 sample channels, using the first channel in the group for selecting the remote base channel, it worked flawlessly, to have the other faders follow suite. 1-8, cant be that difficult. But now, with the change I made, its a lil more difficult, in fact it wont work at all... at least not in the sense I want it to. I think... Im hoping, I can adjust this in the editor...? what I want is the XTC to skip the parallel channel... entirely, all of them... and for the XTC to control only, the 8 actual sample tracks... the parallel channels may or may not be used, muted... I dont mind manually setting these, I have other faders as well on other devices, I can have use for this, what I want is the XTC to control only the raw samples... to keep it simple.

Im not sure how to program the XTC or edit it, I did send Behringer a message, but I could use some help here to personalize my template and configure the XTC for that... I would even pay someone if they came over to help answer my questions... for an hour or two.

If anyone wants to make a few bucks even I can arrange to paypal if you make videos in response to my questions, if thats your thing, I would love that.. we can do in private email or here even... or maybe i can donate to your website... how ever it would appease you. If you are up to it.

I dont have anything bad to say about Behringer... Ive had several other pieces of their gear throughout the decades. This one being my favorite so far!

I will keep you updated as I figure things out, and if you have something to add, please please, do so! I would love the help! Thanks again!

Last edited by Lotus_Jewel; 08-08-2017 at 07:01 PM..

------------------
Old 10-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

here it is running and all... i took off the end caps except the last two ends... so i can get them a lil closer... and used some tape to seal it up to look as one unit. love it so far. kinda tricky to get running and setup but i think i got the hang of it. just gotta do one at a time. now i have as many faders as possible samples... and that makes me very happy. i could have used just one but i felt that was rather limiting. btw idk how to get the pics to show here without you having to click on a link

Last edited by Lotus_Jewel; 10-08-2017 at 01:32 AM..

Advertisements

------------------