How to get this synth glitch effect?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
mnw
Minor Glitch
mnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nice
MC Status: 410
How to get this synth glitch effect?

Hi all,

I hear this effect a lot in different songs and was wondering if any knows how to achieve it. It sounds like pitch shifting but also with something else that is giving it a more intense sound. If anyone has an idea, please let me know!

Here's an example of the effect (it occurs throughout the intro, in particular around 0:06-0:07):

Advertisements

mnw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
mnw
Minor Glitch
mnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nice
Re: How to get this synth glitch effect?

Ah shit I just saw there was a forum section named "Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques" that this probably would have been more appropriate for... if a mod could move it into there that would be awesome
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31260

Pitch shifting and filtering is all I hear. I think you're confusing the layering of the song itself with the 'intensity' of the effect itself, but I could be wrong.

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
_nanonoise_
Radial Developer
_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of_nanonoise_ has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1460

you could use the dblueGlitch plugin with tapestop I think.
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to _nanonoise_
Vault O))) (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
mnw
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Pitch shifting and filtering is all I hear. I think you're confusing the layering of the song itself with the 'intensity' of the effect itself, but I could be wrong.
Yeah that could be, the pitch shifted parts of the synth may just even be louder than the other parts of the synth too
Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
mnw
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nanonoise_ View Post
you could use the dblueGlitch plugin with tapestop I think.
Cool man! Will look into this, appreciate it
Old 06-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant futureDeadly Rhythm has a brilliant future
Norfolk
MC Status: 1960

Yeah, sounds like just a pitch shift. If you want to create the same effect, the easiest way will probably be by rendering a snippet of a word with a pitch shift. In this case, the letter "t" in "heart" has been highlighted and a PS rendered into the audio stem.
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
mnw
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Rhythm View Post
Yeah, sounds like just a pitch shift. If you want to create the same effect, the easiest way will probably be by rendering a snippet of a word with a pitch shift. In this case, the letter "t" in "heart" has been highlighted and a PS rendered into the audio stem.
Fo sho! Thanks
Thanks to mnw
Deadly Rhythm (06-07-2017)
Old 14-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
mnw
Minor Glitch

Hey guys just an update: I bought Glitch2 and the effect is tape stop, not a simple pitch shift. Thanks for the responses though!
Old 15-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024119

yea its just pitch shifting. you should try doing it with your DAW before you buy a plugin for it. im not sure about live, but its pretty simple in cubase. i would imagine live has a solid way of doing this too.

failing that, you could try with a delay plugin. if you start with a long delay time and lower the delay time it will give the effect (almost) of a tape start, and the reverse for a stop. the delay will eventually catch up though so you will want to control your input gain or wet/dry balance to account for this

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
Cusing Regent
Regular Freak
Cusing Regent will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

Thank you for the advice
Cusing Regent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts

At its most basic a tape stop/start is just pitch shifting.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #13
mnw
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
At its most basic a tape stop/start is just pitch shifting.
Yeah, I understand that but tape stop has a distinct sound from simple MIDI or audio pitch shifting. Which is what I was trying to figure out :-)
Thanks to mnw
relic (17-07-2017)
Old 17-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #14
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnw View Post
Yeah, I understand that but tape stop has a distinct sound from simple MIDI or audio pitch shifting. Which is what I was trying to figure out :-)
Oh yea man. I get it :p I guess I thought it was just worth stating for posterity for whoever else might come across the thread. Which didn't come through at all in my post.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #15
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Afaik tape stop is about slowing down audio. Pitch shift is a midi effect and can't be used on raw audio without using a sampler or pitch shifting plugin etc.

EDIT: Is it really that you can't get the tape stop effect in Ableton Live without plugins like Glitch/Effectrix?

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #16
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 11660

In audio there is pitch shifting and frequency shifting.
Pitchshifting retains the harmonic relationship while frequency shifting does not.

*edit
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

A Midi Pitch Effect just alters incoming notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post

EDIT: Is it really that you can't get the tape stop effect in Ableton Live without plugins like Glitch/Effectrix?
I'm pretty sure you can do something similar with Live's audio editing capabilities, also I'm pretty sure there are tutorials for achieving a tape stop effect in Live as well as other DAWs on youtube. A dedicated plugin is just handy.

Last edited by Schnork; 22-07-2017 at 09:19 AM..

------------------
Electron Organ
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

Tape stop is essentially a time-based automated pitch bend/shift, whatever you call it. If you have a sampling plugin or even some hardware with any sort of pitch modulation wheel you can do it that way, or program it in using midi editor modulation.

^^^ and what Schnork said lol

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I use this a lot, sorry for the comically huge dimensions.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Ive heard that in French House like Sebastian a lot where they do that tape stop effect. I think you can just resample the audio into a sampler then use the mod wheel?
Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389548
Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Antlers View Post
...then use the mod wheel?
*pitch-bend.

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote