Alchemy vs Serum
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 22-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
carterholsten97
IDMf's latest spammer
carterholsten97 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Alchemy vs Serum

I'm considering purchasing the Serum synth off Xfer Records. Up until now, I have been using the Logic Pro Alchemy synth (previously owned by Camel Audio) for the majority of my ambient work and was wondering if Serum really offers more than Alchemy. Is it worth $190.00?

Advertisements

carterholsten97 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 03:26 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710
Re: Alchemy vs Serum

They're different beasts (sort of, one offers granular sampling and the other doesn't even sample), and should never be compared. Seriously, just use both and don't worry about having an all-in-one solution.

They're my two favorite softsynths, and thankfully I / you don't have to pick just one
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

Even though it has a hefty price tag, for all sorts of Ambient textures Spectrasonic's Omnisphere is hard to get around. At least have a look at it.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (26-07-2017)
Old 22-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

I'll chime in here and second what both the guys have said already. Personally, my main go-to synths are the original Alchemy, Serum, Omnisphere and Padshop Pro..there are others, but these 4 tend to get used on almost everything I do.

by the way, if you're seriously thinking of getting Serum, then do yourself a favor and buy it through the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
website, as they offer a Rent-to-Own plan, where you pay just $9.99 per month. Once you've paid the full price, it's 100% yours..but in the meantime you get to use it as if it were already yours.

Also, if you want to stop payments for a while, they let you cancel and restart whenever you like and continue from where you left off.

It's also worth nothing they don't charge you any interest or extra charge for going with the Rent-to-Own plan..basically if you buy it outright or go with the monthly plan, it will still cost you exactly the same in the end..there's no hidden fees.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

I use Serum, very happy with it, endless routing possibilities and potential of creating deep and complex patches. Although lot of knowledge needed and presets mostly suck (IMHO) as made for gritty dubstep.
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DeadCat
A.M (14-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCat View Post
I use Serum, very happy with it, endless routing possibilities and potential of creating deep and complex patches. Although lot of knowledge needed and presets mostly suck (IMHO) as made for gritty dubstep.
Yeah..the presets tend to give the impression it's just a "beats" thing..but it's really so much more..but you really need to spend time learning how evewrytyhing works in order to the most out of it..and once you do, you soon realize what a real all-rounder Serum really is.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote