What is this sound? Some kind of LFO synth? Song: Heart of a Lion, Kid Cudi
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Sorcerer
Learning The Ropes
Sorcerer is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 What is this sound? Some kind of LFO synth? Song: Heart of a Lion, Kid Cudi

I am wanting to create a sound like this one. It has something to do with LFOs with a degree of instability.

[Shows itself at 0:25-0:30 as it rises in pitch and does so again a few times throughout such as 1:25 and 3:00]

youtube watch?v=F_gv1rIduxw

(yes link is in pieces copy and paste and finish the obvious rest of url; the forum rules prevent me from embedding or posting full links. Ban me or answer my question and help me. Thank you <3)

There is also a similar sound in Lana Del Rey-Born To Die watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g
at 1:30 and 1:40 (and at times throughout)

If anybody knows exactly what this is help me out and share thy knowledge. Thank you.
<3

Advertisements

Sorcerer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389498
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,758 Posts
Re: What is this sound? Some kind of LFO synth? Song: Heart of a Lion, Kid Cudi

1) bandpass sweep on some noise. Or just a tonal noise sample that has pitchbend/pitch automation/pitch envelope.

2) Bandpass on noise and some more even harmonic oscillator -> reverb. Or just pitch modulation on some ringy sound, through reverb.
Portamento/glide or with pitch automation.

There are several ways to skin a rapist.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Sorcerer
Learning The Ropes

I dont know what you mean by "some more even harmonic osc". When you say reverb you mean last in chain? Not concerned with the reverb so much in this case.

Of course it has a portamento, but thats more of the note value and not the actual sound( though it could be controlled within the synth).

I think there's something going on with an lfo on the filter but I dont think its quite the way you say. I dont think its created by lfo on a bandpass. I think its a tonal sound not just a noise. If you know for sure you are correct would you mind writing a more step by step and possibly prove it to the both of us by creating a sample of it? I've been trying to no avail to mimic the sound, only getting somewhat close. I think theres an lfo on the pitch/osc and possibly volume and a filter. its not just a simple sin lfo either as its slightly unstable. I'd love to figure out how to design this sound.
Thanks for the reply

Whatever the technique is for creating this type of sound, it was used on both of the tracks of course in their own altered ways.

Edit: the lana del rey lfo could have some sort of filter sweep along with automated volume going down maybe some kind of parallel track, the interpretation of that part can be ambiguous, but that too is less the actual sound and more of effects after the actual sound. The second appearance of the lana del rey lfo (first appearance at 1:30 and second at 1:40) is a good example of "effects after the actual sound" as the second appearance is the same as the first lfo with obvious distortion and maybe some hidden effects.

Last edited by Sorcerer; 14-06-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Old 14-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389498
Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,758 Posts

The vibrato (sineLFO on pitch) is what gives it character.

Did this quickly with noise oscillator, through bandpass (high res), with pitch envelope and semi-fast vibrato (sineLFO on pitch..or actually on the bandpass filter cutoff on the first example, which controls the pitch). Through some reverb. Not entirely exact replication, but you get the idea.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Sound 1) [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Sound 2) [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Edit: Yeah, on the Lana Del Rey sound I also added a volume (amplitude) modulation on the same sineLFO that controlled the vibrato (pitch). So it's a bit tremolo too, mixed with the vibrato, controlled by the same LFO.

Last edited by Evelon; 15-06-2017 at 08:11 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Oatbag (15-06-2017)
Old 16-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
Sorcerer
Learning The Ropes

Thanks for the help. I almost have it now. Though, I'm still frustrated with getting it just right. Could you name some specific parameters such as the depth of the vibrato and the db slope on the bandpass aswell as the width in hz of the bandpass? The example for the kid cudi lfo was very very close, just the pitch was the main thing off.
What program/s did you use?

Also, your upload disappeared, I was using it as a third reference and comparison.

Advertisements