Percussion White Noise Sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160
Percussion White Noise Sound?

Unfortunately I don't have any examples, but I am trying to make a white noise percussive sequence sound. I've heard similar in video game menus or spying infiltration scenes in movies 1 and a 2 a 1 and a 2 "1 and a" is a lower pitch white noise.... kinda a bit brushy sound or a sound that those musical would blocks make when you rub them but not as harsh. "2 a" is like a higher noise. Both noises could be same general sound but with different pitch or lowpass high pass filtering.

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540930
Thanked 7,000 Times in 4,975 Posts
Re: Percussion White Noise Sound?

Sounds like you are trying to emulate a shaker with white noise? Totally a-tonal? I would say you want different envelope and filter settings to make one shorter and one longer? I can almost imagine the sound and could probably reproduce it not sure I'm capable of fully describing the process. It basically is just like short and long shaker hits or open and closed hi hats. Like a choke group effect.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Bluesh1ft (10-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360

Make the 1 and 2 louder than the "and a," I guess? Does sound like you mean a shaker sound, alright.

1-.-and-a-2-.-and-a

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

You could also do something like add a bit bell-shaped 6dB eq boost on white noise. Then bounce to audio, and load into a sampler. Now you can play different notes and have slightly different tonalities, but it's still almost pure white noise.
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

For the sound I'm imagining (and I could be way off), I'd use a noise osc in a synth going into a lowpass keytracking filter with a bit of resonance. You'd likely need a separate hipass filter after that, or just eq it out after the synth. Then set up your filter and/or amp envelope to be velocity sensitive. Now, you should be able to play long, loud notes just by playing/programming your midi at a higher velocity. And the tonality will also be handled by the filter tracking your midi.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 02:50 AM   #6
Derpgerpwalrus
Minor Glitch
Derpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the rough
Houston, TX
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
For the sound I'm imagining (and I could be way off), I'd use a noise osc in a synth going into a lowpass keytracking filter with a bit of resonance. You'd likely need a separate hipass filter after that, or just eq it out after the synth. Then set up your filter and/or amp envelope to be velocity sensitive. Now, you should be able to play long, loud notes just by playing/programming your midi at a higher velocity. And the tonality will also be handled by the filter tracking your midi.
I was kind of thinking of something similar as well in terms of process. Depending on your resources, I picture maybe a noise osc with a stepper tool modulating a filter with some added resonance and an output for the noise osc to cut it short. I'm picturing something like this (it's in the first couple of seconds the clearest)I can't link the link, but listen to the mission impossible theme song. Google it then click the second link - it has red lettering in the video thumbnail for the sound I'm thinking of)

Advertisements

Derpgerpwalrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Apparently Mission Impossible *does barrel roll*