Starting a Scene
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Starting a Scene

Hey. I moved to China two years ago, and I'm really happy here, but the music scene where I live in non-existent. I live in a fairly well developed area and there are plenty of small clubs in the area that would probably be willing to give a foreigner a chance to play some music, but I don't know how they'd react when 220 BPM amen breaks start to flood through their otherwise pleasant establishment.

My question is this, how would you go about starting a scene for a more esoteric electronic music genre in a country that has long been sheltered from foreign music and has only very recently begun to be exposed to a variety of electronic music?

In every shop here they play happy hardcore really loud, everywhere else it's either chinese ballads or the same top 10 shit you get anywhere else. I would love to show people here what they're missing out on but I have no idea where to even start, what do you guys think?

Advertisements

Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
conjureclub
Minor Glitch
conjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to behold
Dallas
Re: Starting a Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failsafe View Post
Hey. I moved to China two years ago, and I'm really happy here, but the music scene where I live in non-existent. I live in a fairly well developed area and there are plenty of small clubs in the area that would probably be willing to give a foreigner a chance to play some music, but I don't know how they'd react when 220 BPM amen breaks start to flood through their otherwise pleasant establishment.

My question is this, how would you go about starting a scene for a more esoteric electronic music genre in a country that has long been sheltered from foreign music and has only very recently begun to be exposed to a variety of electronic music?

In every shop here they play happy hardcore really loud, everywhere else it's either chinese ballads or the same top 10 shit you get anywhere else. I would love to show people here what they're missing out on but I have no idea where to even start, what do you guys think?
I live in the area of Texas that isn't Austin so I can relate. The only way you'll ever find out is if you just go play a set. There might not be a scene for it, but you would be surprised by how many listeners there are out there without an outlet. Maybe get in touch with a bar/club owner, see if he'll let you spin on a random night and see how it goes. I've learned that these little pockets exist everywhere, it's just more a matter of exposing yourself to that base. The internet is making the world smaller everyday. You got this.
conjureclub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to conjureclub
NewWorldOrder (15-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170110
Thanked 3,402 Times in 2,538 Posts

What conjureclub just said..plus try hanging out and getting friendly with other local Chinese DJs, even if they're not into the same style as you..you might be able to get them to play something in your style and that might help get people tuned into it.

Try doing some "fusion mixes" with them, that they will hopefully play in a set at a gig, which could also lead to clubs and bars being more open to giving you and your sound a chance to gig.

Try getting gigs at college and school parties and tone things down a little if you have to, if they will let you do that over there..the possible long-term benefits from this should be obvious.

Best of luck.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold

I don't think collage and school parties are a thing here haha, but it's all good advice thanks. I guess the bulk is just go for it, I've never been bothered about making likeable music when I'm in the studio so I shouldn't have a problem bringing that ethos into a live setting. It's always fun to see people reactions to that stuff anyway, and there are actually a lot of small clubs here so I think I could probably convince a few of them to let me play, even if I don't get invited back in a hurry.
Thanks to Failsafe
A.M (14-06-2017)
Old 15-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19360

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjureclub View Post
I live in the area of Texas that isn't Austin so I can relate. The only way you'll ever find out is if you just go play a set. There might not be a scene for it, but you would be surprised by how many listeners there are out there without an outlet. Maybe get in touch with a bar/club owner, see if he'll let you spin on a random night and see how it goes. I've learned that these little pockets exist everywhere, it's just more a matter of exposing yourself to that base. The internet is making the world smaller everyday. You got this.
"An area of Texas that is not Austin" very true hahaa. I never understood why there is not as big of a culture here in Houston of music when we are the biggest city in Texas. There are still outlets and pockets as stated above.

Also to the OP why not try advertising and hitting the market by combining your music with some style from whatever provenance in China that you're in. Also try to hit the South Korean and Japanese markets. I'd also aim for Thailand as well if you can spend the advertising money on it. I'd take advantage not only of China, but the whole area if I were you.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #6
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413071

Damn Dallas and Houston guys here, and I'm from the puny McAllen lol

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
Failsafe
Granular Poster

Yea I'd like to move to Japan in the future but I could easily have a few more years in China first, I hadn't really thought about casting the net that far wide but it's probably going to be easier to get gigs in those places than here, and it can't hurt to do a bit of research and send a few emails eh!
Old 18-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #8
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413071

Quote:
Yea I'd like to move to Japan in the future but I could easily have a few more years in China first, I hadn't really thought about casting the net that far wide but it's probably going to be easier to get gigs in those places than here, and it can't hurt to do a bit of research and send a few emails eh!
hows china BTW? i want to move to asian countries like china or japan when or if i get a STEM job. i bet japan would have an open music scene!

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #9
Failsafe
Granular Poster

I love it here! People are really friendly, I'm in the south so the weather is really hot and sunny (sometimes too humid) and really close to Hong Kong which I love, but just far enough away to not quite have such intense population. The only reason I could really find for wanting to leave any time soon is that the pollution can be an issue at times, if it's polluted for over a week you really start to feel drained and groggy. But I know lots of foreigners who have lived here for a long time and it doesn't seem to have any lasting negative effects so I'd recommend it!

------------------
Old 19-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2860

Quote:

No music scene, peaceful, foreigner, China, wanna start a music 220bpm revolution =enemy of the state, jail no doubt.

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
Failsafe (20-06-2017)