Cubase Problem with Volume using Delay
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 22-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660
Cubase Problem with Volume using Delay

Can anyone suggest a solution?

I'm using Cubase 8.5. I have a vocal track that I'm sending post-fader to a delay track. I'm automating the delay to come on and off at various times during the track.
My problem is that when the delay automates on, there is a distinct volume drop on the vocal track. I can't understand why, as surely I'm sending from vocal track to delay.

Thinking aloud, I had assumed it was sending additional signal from vocal track to delay. It's not sending part of the vocal track signal is it? That would explain it. How do I maintain the vocal track at a constant level?

Any suggestions gratefully receieved!

Advertisements

DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834777
Re: Cubase Problem with Volume using Delay

One thing to check, go to main arranger screen. Mouse click right and select show all automation. Just make sure you havent accidentally knocked the volume control or send when setting the delay on/off. Can happen by acident maybe from when editing in the arranger and accidentally hitting the volume control channel.
Other option, feel free to send me the project file (link to dropbox or whatever in a PM), Ill take a look and see whats going on to try and help.
M

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire

Thanks for that. I followed your suggestions and spent the whole day trying to a) track down the volume problem and b) make the delay do exactly what I wanted it to do (and not just 'add a little bit of delay and see what happens').

I think I was finally successful in both. I decided after lots of knob twiddling that my volume problem was imaginary (or rather a real audio-illusion). I've worked around it by a simple volume automation upwards of the vocal track when the delay briefly comes in.

But b) getting the delay to do exactly what I wanted (a chorusy repeat of a few words) was really hard. I worked out in the end that it was a question of getting the controls set exactly right, with virtually no tolerance.

Huge thanks again for you offer of help - another hour of frustration and I'd have taken yo up on the offer:-)
Currently Listening To: My new track!
Thanks to DRR
MFXxx (23-05-2017)
Old 23-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Yes don't forget if any sends are not constant they will boost as you are introducing a second layer at the same volume so naturally it will sound louder similar to gain staging and pans law. Not sure what delay you are using but input trim may have been a solution.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 24-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
DRR
Minor Glitch
Derbyshire

That makes sense.
I was just using Cubase's Stereo Delay. None of the Cubase delays appear to have an input trim, but that does sound like the functionality that I needed!
Old 24-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

A tip that you may already use is to send the original channel and delay channel into a group bus on the console to blend.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 24-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
DRR
Minor Glitch
Derbyshire

Thanks, I shall try that

Advertisements