Sources of Inspiration
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 18-04-2017, 02:23 AM   #1
phenomenal67
Regular Freak
phenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nicephenomenal67 is just really nice
Perry, Maine
MC Status: 410
Sources of Inspiration

So I'm in a bit of a rut lately. I sit down to write, and I'm just not getting that flow I need. What do you all do to get pumped for writing?

Advertisements

phenomenal67 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 02:34 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31060
Re: Sources of Inspiration

I work, mostly. Or involve myself in things away from music and my equipment. And I think about all the things I'll do when I sit back down and generate ideas based on specifically my time and energy being 'unmusical'. Sometimes I'll go for a jog or work in my shop for a bit - I think there's a correlation for me between physical activity and creativity.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Stressshot
Minor Glitch
Stressshot will become famous soon enough
Helsinki
MC Status: 60

Take a break from doing it.
Stressshot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
garciachavarin
Learning The Ropes
garciachavarin is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

In my personnal case, I get my Ipad and simply I start to compose ... any idea ... whatever comes into my mind. Most likely, after several attempts, something good will come out. All my ideas are stored in my ipad because it could be a good starting for others new ideas.
garciachavarin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:04 AM   #5
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

In my case, I kind of power through it. I've had some pretty good songs come out of sessions where it took me hours to lay down the basic chords. IDK, I feel like there's something to be said for accepting that it's not always going to flow out naturally but still sitting down for the same amount of time.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37610

This is a recurring thread / theme, but it's still valid. When I'm not in a writing mood but find myself with spare time to write, I just don't even touch it anymore. If my brain isn't syncing up, it's just not the right time. As other IDMFers have said, that's when it's a good time to take a walk / jog and put the creativity aside. Soon enough you'll be bursting with it.

Maybe my way is lame, anyway. Some people can write from a deep, dark place, but personally I've never had any luck with that either.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 04:37 AM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

Make a list of 20 things you have never done. Don't even think about music and start working on your list. I often find inspiration sometimes comes from the back door of something else. Kind of morbid but I was inspired by a dead bird in my pool. LOL
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

Things that inspire me in no particular order
- People I love
- Random dialog from television shows
- Beautiful ladies
- Children
- Photography
- Poetry
- Classical music
- Drum beats
- Meditation

I generally find if I have two or three of these going on, I have no problems channeling the muse.

I've also learned that if I'm blocked up, like emotionally/spiritually/whatevs, then there's no point even trying. Gotta be at peace to make it happen.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts

Depends.
Do you need to write music? I.e: is that your job or you have a deadline?

Then just power through it, no other options. Work sucks no matter what.

Do you write music for your pleasure and enjoyment?
Then don't sweat it, do something else, anything really.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I haven't produced anything in a couple of months. I am waiting till I get the itch back.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Derpgerpwalrus
Minor Glitch
Derpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the rough
Houston, TX
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
In my case, I kind of power through it. I've had some pretty good songs come out of sessions where it took me hours to lay down the basic chords. IDK, I feel like there's something to be said for accepting that it's not always going to flow out naturally but still sitting down for the same amount of time.
I agree with Rvrsal, I power through it. For me to take a break from producing can mean loss of inspiration even further. I feel like even sitting down with a new project a day, and writing maybe a different chorus or a verse part can be really invigorating, and then when you're out of your rut you might have 2 or 3 solid ideas you can return to later.

Edit: Also personally drinking whiskey helps the flow of writing for me (and probably make much worse EQ decisions) but it's a trade off I suppose, whatevz.
Derpgerpwalrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Derpgerpwalrus
relic (31-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

I pretty much never get to the point where I'm out of inspiration. I always have ideas. However, my curse is that I lose interest to the track really quick, and will quickly feel like "screw this, let's start a new one". I guess that counts as a block too.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
I pretty much never get to the point where I'm out of inspiration. I always have ideas. However, my curse is that I lose interest to the track really quick, and will quickly feel like "screw this, let's start a new one". I guess that counts as a block too.
Oh yeah I know that feeling. I think I've heard it called somewhere the producer's curse. I feel like finishing tracks is the hardest thing to do. Deadlines are the only thing that make it work for me.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 174210
Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,602 Posts

Personally, I've found the more I "try" to write / compose / produce, the less quality work I end up with. Most of my best work has apparently come out of nowhere, with me just sitting at the keyboard and playing the keys.

That said, I, too, tend to sit down with an idea for a project in mind already and so have a slight idea of which direction I want to take things. Usually, at the start, it's getting the sounds I want to work with right..and then I just take it from there..

But I'm more than aware that it's the things I see, read, hear around me every day that fuel my creative process..without them, I'm sure my music would sound as lost and lonely as my life would be.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA

I've gotten to the point where I have not produced in such a long time, I have anxiety about firing up fl studio.

------------------
Old 30-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 174210
Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post
I've gotten to the point where I have not produced in such a long time, I have anxiety about firing up fl studio.

Don't be afraid of your own genius and never doubt your own creative abilities. There's plenty of others out there more than happy to do that already.

Fire the sucker up and see what happens! It doesn't matter if you end up with pure shite..or even nothing at all..as long as you had fun doing it. Then do it all over again tomorrow. Sooner or later, you'll end up with something outstanding.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
NotApplicable (30-05-2017)
Old 30-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

A few personal ideas on this:
1 when I really can't come up with anything, or can't be bothered to try, I use a lot of that time to work on "admin" stuff. At best I get inspired to make something down the line, at worst I was in the music making environment and maybe I learned something about my gear.

2 just work through it, sit down play and instrument for a bit etc, just do it!

3 once you got something going let it take you where ever, ie let the music's direction inspire you instead of being stuck on making a certain style or whatever.

4 steal from yourself, ie if you have a project that was a dud, sample the sounds to make something else with them.

5 avoid sitting around watching dumbass gear videos, use what you got for now, don't wait for the next thing to become an awesome producer, "it's a trap!" (Definitely a bit of do as I say, don't do as I do here but really, time spent on my setup is really making me appreciate what I have and want less anything else)

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
A.M (30-05-2017)
Old 31-05-2017, 02:15 AM   #18
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just stumbled upon this. Seems on topic, and makes sense.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533030
Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpgerpwalrus View Post
I agree with Rvrsal, I power through it. For me to take a break from producing can mean loss of inspiration even further. I feel like even sitting down with a new project a day, and writing maybe a different chorus or a verse part can be really invigorating, and then when you're out of your rut you might have 2 or 3 solid ideas you can return to later.

Edit: Also personally drinking whiskey helps the flow of writing for me (and probably make much worse EQ decisions) but it's a trade off I suppose, whatevz.
I think a moderate amount of mental lubrication for the creative part of the process can be a good thing--especially something that lowers your inhibitions. I'm surprised how caught up I get in what other people will think of something I've literally not even created yet--I know that is the point and that audience awareness is important, but one of the most important things I've learned is to never throw out the "crazy" ideas. If you think to yourself, "...people are going to think I'm nuts for doing things this way/writing this song." That is probably the keeper, everything else are easy first thoughts.

Allow yourself creative time and energy to make mistakes and write shit tunes. It *feels* like all your favorite artists do it effortfless because we only get their polished finished projects. I'm pretty sure most of the "pros" have to dig all the easy/garbage ideas out of their brains before they get to those "ah ha" moments.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
NotApplicable
Microknight
MA

I banged out a simple track just to get my mind back into producing.

It is a very minimal breakbeat track, but I don't think the point of the quality of the song was the point.

Advertisements

------------------